PDA

View Full Version : Rent Movies from the Android Market

pine-o-cleen
05-09-2011, 06:48 PM
So,

Just tried going to the Android Marketplace as I read you can now rent movies from there, but it seems only in the US.

So I tried with a free proxy and yes, seems it works. Well, sort of. I can view the movies, but when I click buy, it asks me to log in, and that's where the free proxy says "na-uh, not unless you pay!".

My question is, I'm guessing that my android account is registered to New Zealand, so would it stop me from using the service that way, even if I could log in (with say a paid proxy)?

pine-o-cleen
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Also, what is the legality of this? Considering the new legislation.

johcar
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I imagine that since you'd be paying for the movie there would be nothing illegal. However I also imagine that their paywall has a filter to identify credit cards issued outside the USA and prevent the purchase - and if you were going to pay via Google Checkout - your Gmail account will also identify your country. Barrel. You. Over.

dugimodo
05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Well if you pay for it there's no copyright infringement, but it's probably against some law or other. Maybe to do with falsifying your details or something like import laws.
Buying direct from overseas cuts out local distributors and networks, but I wish someone would sort this @#$% out. I would love a decent streaming TV and movie service in New Zealand but it seems that's too hard.
I think a large part of the problem is the distribution rights some of which are already owned by sky and the other networks who seem to have no interest in online distribution.