PDA

View Full Version : 7+ year old PC with old internal Modem: how can Ubuntu 11.04 get online with this PC?

Dragonov
05-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Agent_24, am pretty shaky with this kind of stuff (how to place Links to be able to go from place to place on a Website: so will try, as usual, Copy-And-Paste!!! viz-a-viz the page URL.

Agent_24
05-09-2011, 05:20 PM
You may wish to rephrase your question, the problem as I understand is not getting Ubuntu installed but rather that you need to get a dialup modem working in Ubuntu.

To anyone else reading this: If you've got experience with dialup connections under Ubuntu or Linux in general, some help would be appreciated.

Currently it seems the best way would be to get a new modem (preferably USB or something equally easy to connect up) that is known to work in Linux without any need to play around with modules etc.

I initially found the US Robotics USR5637 which is compatible but appears out of stock.

kjaada
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Dialup Internet - Puppy Linux
puppylinux.com/development/dialup-internet.htm - Cached
The Puppy live-CD has internal HOWTO documents, and I have extracted part of the "HOWTO connect to the Internet" related to dialup:
Puppy linux should get you up and running.
Good luck

Go here;http://puppylinux.com/development/dialup-internet.htm

Dragonov
09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey good to see you here Agent_24, haven't been back here since putting that first post up top: thank you Agent_24 for rephrasing my post into a state of coherency and purpose as a new-Thread post. Agent_24 it looks like this is the page you are checking out (nowadays), so better mention the Paradigm thing has fallen through: they actually have not got any of those Modems and are not going to be getting any more. They seem to have lost their communications link with the distributor because they said they have no idea whether these Modems are even being manufactured any more. Also, PayPal have not replied so still cannot buy anything from overseas. Incidentally, Agent_24, on the other post-pages where we were talking, and in particular page 6, Speedy Gonzales had slipped in a brief "note" to say that he did not like USB Modems and he says Serial Port External Modems are far better. But so far, I cannot find any kind that will enable someone with my colossal absence of I.T. knowhow to have a Linux Modem at all!

Hullo kjaada, thank you also for your Post: am just back from TradeMe where have ordered PuppyLinux 5.2.8 (CD) *FLOSS*. Am gonna go back to the Website about Dial-Up Modems that you reference in order to do some swot! Thank you kjaada for very kindly helping like this.

Thank you again too Agent_24, as said, it's great to see you here.

Cheers you guys.

Dragonov
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Agent_24, look at what I just blundered across on the Web - this is a New Zealand subsidiary outfit of an Australian one by the look of it:

http://www.netcomm.co.nz/dialup

Has the jackpot finally been hit? Have written to them, and they sent an email saying they will reply soon. Cheers Agent_24

Dragonov
09-09-2011, 08:44 PM
P.S. Agent_24, you advised to changed the name of the Thread but do not know how to do this.

Agent_24
09-09-2011, 11:25 PM
P.S. Agent_24, you advised to changed the name of the Thread but do not know how to do this.

You can't do this yourself, you can only change your posts for a limited time (a couple of minutes I think). You can however ask one of the moderators (http://pressf1.co.nz/member.php?8402-Jen) to do it for you (Just send a private message)

Dragonov
10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks Agent_24, am gonna try and communicate with the Moderators after writing this. Hey Agent_24, have been researching the Modems on that Kiwi website that was found the other day, and one of them plugs into a COM Port and is enabled to let Linux Red-Hat go Online. This is the Modem:

http://www.netcomm.co.nz/products/dial-up/bd3068

It is a V.92 Modem as well which the Modem Website which kjaada put the Link to, says is the best. Agent_24, is this one of those Modems you were talking about that does not need Drivers for Linux? If it is, then does this mean that you can get Online with more Linux OS's that solely Red-Hat with it?

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
From what I was reading online, the serial port modems are supposed to be easy to get working. They don't typically need a driver as such even in Windows.

But as I said, I couldn't get one here to work. I don't know why yet. It might be something to do with Ubuntu itself, or perhaps the computer. My parallel-port AVR programmer wasn't working on that same machine last time I tried it too.

I think I will try my modem on another computer, and see if Linux can handle it there. Will try to get around to that today sometime!

Agent_24
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Getting somewhere... perhaps.

I connected this modem to my other PC, and tested it out. This time the thing actually found the modem and could communicate with it - so that's good!

However, dialing in didn't seem to work properly. The connect log is as follows:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT087303030
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT087303030
CONNECT 46667
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.

login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: *USERNAME*
*USERNAME*
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
Login/Network User:
*USERNAME*
CLI - Invalid Argument: *USERNAME*
This field is a KEYWORD. The possible values are:
LOGIN NETWORK PPP
Login/Network User:
*USERNAME*
LOGIN NETWORK PPP
Login/Network User:
*USERNAME*
LOGIN NETWORK PPP
Login/Network User:
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

(At that point I canceled it)
Note: '*USERNAME*' is where my username was written, but where I removed it for privacy reasons.

Will look into this problem and see if I can get this thing to actually connect successfully!

Only problem is this is running an older Ubuntu 10.10 so I don't know if that's why it worked, or because it's a different machine.

Dragonov
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Thank you for your Posts Agent_24, but look: it cannot be a heck of a lot of fun grappling with that Modem (but very greatly appreciate your doing so) so am back here primarily to tell you that have found, while trawling the web, several New Zealand outfits that are all selling the following Modem:

NETCOMM BD3068 MyModem 56K V.92 External (Serial-Port).

Even though only one seller says this Modem is fully compatible with Linux, the others in the "Google Results" links to their websites have all got in those links statements that this is "A Linux Modem" (or words to that effect). Am making more inquiries to them by email, but probably won't get any replies until Monday at least.

The prices vary from $170.20 (highest) to $145.90 (lowest).

Agent_24 also stumbled across a website (which seems to be operated by a bunch of very young Geeks) where there was a dude with exactly the same problem as me! Weirdly, he seemed to have about my level of "technical expertise" also - or in other words, none! He did not try to hide this though, and to try and get help he was going to great lengths to make it clear that he didn't know anything about Tech stuff. But the other dudes there were giving him not very useful answers and one even told him to go buy that "cheapo" thing on Trademe - the one where you have to look for Linux Drivers for it! Fortunately he does not seem to have gone off on that expedition to nowhere, and instead appears to have taken the advice of another guy who said he had once, long, long, ago (!) gotten one at Dick Smiths! Who knows? - maybe he did get lucky (but doubt it) or so to speak, because at a place like that you'd have to shell out far more dough for one than the highest price anywhere else!!!

Also Agent_24, those older ones like you have been working on, look to be very hard to find these days: on that young Geek website everyone was talking about them in a "far distant past" way ("well I once found one on TradeMe") etc.

That Puppy Linux (the latest version) is said to be able to put Linux Drivers into practically any Modem. If PL is able to put Drivers for itself into my PC's old internal Modem (think it is a "Hard" Modem which is supposed to be better for Driver installation chances for Linux than a "Soft" one) then could other Linux variants use that Driver/Drivers(?). Am gonna shove Puppy Linux in and play around with it because the CD should be arriving on Monday or Tuesday.

So that was some of my adventures for today Agent_24. Finally, got in touch with a very nice NZ PC World Moderator Gal "Jen" and presented to her an alternative Header. Got the answer about whether it was ok or not tonight while logging back in: it was far too long!!! - Jen is right, saw it again after logging in and it is ludicrously protracted. So have "Tolstoyed" up another attempt and fired that off to Jen so, here's hoping!

Muchos Gracias Agent_24, All The Very Best.

P.S. Agent_24: New Header!!! (Thank You Jen - You Too Agent_24).

Agent_24
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
$170 for an external serial modem? That's insane.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Modems/auction-406345442.htm at $1 is a much better choice.

It should work with Linux just fine. The one I'm testing here should also work, I'm guessing the problem is simply a badly configured dialer or a permissions problem. (That's how I read the error anyway!)

"--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf."

I'll try looking into it more tomorrow.

Dragonov
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow thanks for the tipoff Agent_24: used your Link to immediately swoop off to TradeMe and have shoved an Auto-Bid on the Modem. The auction is supposed to close on Friday but have left a message to ask if he is interested in a "Buy Now". Cannot thank you enough Agent_24 for going there to have a look, because if I had of seen it there without you having sent me there after saying what it was, then I wouldn't have even suspected that it was a "Linux" Modem! It sure looks good though (damn good!!!) and am pretty jumpy worrying about the auction (have been left trailing in the dust on just about every one that has been participated in there so far!), and Friday seems to be about ten years away!!!

Those ones in the shops, they are scarily expensive as you say, and was not exactly overwhelmed with enthusiasm about forking out for one (that's why there was the display of faux optimism viz "Puppy" being able to miraculously convert the Modem in the PC into a Linux one) as they are somewhat beyond the budget to put it mildly. Agent_24, as this is being written am in the process of trying to induce the TradeMe Modem dude into a "Buy Now" - have just checked my emails and he has replied so we are talking. Agent_24, what do you think would be a fair price for such a Modem? You can tell by the picture on TradeMe that it is in excellent condition (in it's original box!) and it has got a stack of auxiliary gear in the box.

Well Agent_24, thanks to you things are happening and will keep ya posted on how this development is panning out. Thanks Heaps!!!

Also Agent_24 about the new Header to this Thread: Jen had been busy re-writing the Encyclopedia Britannica-sized "propositional Header" that I had sent her, and in an awesome display of condensement she somehow managed to shrink it from the size of a full-grown Blue Whale down to that of a Tadpole, whilst at the same time giving it a far better context as well!!! Looks good Jen and thank you very much again.

Meanwhile Agent_24 have been going backwards and forewards while writing this to "talk" to that Modem guy. Guess what Agent_24, by placing that darned Bid I blew my chances of a "Buy Now" to hell because TradeMe has a strict auction rule that no seller can do a Buy Now when a bid has been placed on what is being auctioned!!!

As usual, I shot myself in the foot!!! Adios, Agent_24.

Agent_24
11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
You could ask him to remove your bid and add a buy-now, but then he might make it a ridiculous price.

Dragonov
12-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Gooday Agent_47: been out of action all weekend with Freaky computer trouble, which included three entire XP3 reinstalls in desperate attempts to solve the problems (the ultimate solution, and which worked like a miracle and instantly also, was to install the Antivirus called "Nod", which had been lying around in the USB Drive having been about a month ago downloaded as a "30 Day Trial" but was shoved in the USB and just left there. All of the trouble instantly ceased as soon as Nod was installed, and the problems have not in any way returned: this is incredible: am so astoundingly impressed am mind-boggled!!!) so it's been another fun weekend Agent_47!!! And it has also escalated even further the determination to get a Web-connected Linux OS: only got Nod for thirty days!!! (Of course could do another reinstall to be be able to have Nod for another thirty days but heck!!!).

Agent_24, have not been in contact with that Modem dude due not only to the computer problems, but also because, as you say, he will know how desperate to get it I am (think he's got a pretty good idea of that already and he's probably got a few mates lined up to bid against me!!!); also Agent-47, he seems to be very familiar with the rules and so must know what you have told me in your Post but may have decided not to mention it because he seemed to be pretty determined to auction it. Probably be better to let it run it's own course from now on and just hope like hell I win the auction!!!

Hey guess what Agent_27, just took off for a 'mo to look a few things up, and had a wee decko at TradeMe as well: while there took a squizz at the "Who" viz the Modem dude - and "he" is actually a "she"!!!

Agent_24 you ever been to a glorious EnZed Website (love going there as it really is a terrific Website - almost as good as this one in it's own way) called "OfficePlus". Better hasten to add am in no way "operating" for them in any way (not working for them etc); but am just wanting to say they have got a hell of a lot of very good stuff there (lots of I.T. high-quality gear too) and they are right now having a "Promo" for Adata 8GB USB Flash Drives where they are $16.09 ( freight is an extra $6.67). Here is the page URL:

https://www.ordermax.co.nz/ProductDisplay.asp

But just one thing, Agent_24 - they are having a glitch with the "taking the (virtual shopping) Cart to the Check-Out" side of things is concerned but it is easy to get your "Cart" to the Check-Out when ya know how. Agent_24, if you or anyone else here wants to get anything from their Website, just leave a message here and I will describe how to do it. It is very simple. Usually have a look in at NZ PC World several times a day so you'll get the "How-To" pretty quick. Incidentally, do not be alarmed by the "OrderMax" thing - you do not need "OrderMax" to buy stuff there. Also they are a very good outfit to deal with, very friendly, very helpful.

Check out some niice Tech Gear:

Here is the page URL for the first page of their Ball Point Pens Page:

Well Agent_24 half of Monday gone, four-and-a-half-days to go till Friday!!!

Cheers Agent_24.

Dragonov
17-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Hallooo Agent_24: if you come back here for a look can report that the Modem you found for me has been "won" at the auction on TradeMe ($22.00) and hopefully will be arriving in the post sometime next week. Have got Ubuntu 11.04 all installed and waiting (am getting pretty good at installing it now!) and it will be terrific to give Firefox a go with that Modem. So thank you again, Agent_24, wouldn't have had a hope of ever getting Linux online if you had not pointed me to that Modem.

Agent_24
17-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Good to hear that!

Although I still need to find out exactly _how_ to get the dial-in program working 100%. At the moment I can dial in with mine, it seems to authenticate the password OK but then it disconnects me after 10-30 seconds :( I actually suspect that it's not authenticating with the ISP properly at all. I have to look into this further

Agent_24
18-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Success!

I'm posting this with my Dynalink 56k modem ... it's damn slow, so it must be dialup! :lol:

Turned out I needed to enable 'stupid mode' in the config file (My ISP is Telecom, why does that not surprise me?)

Anyway, it looks like it should be easy now to get yours working too ;)

Dragonov
19-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks Agent_24: good to hear from you. Agent_24, have been trying to research on the Web how to configure the Dial Up Settings in Ubuntu 11.04, but the only decent (and very nicely illustrated) tutorial on configuring Internet Settings in Ubuntu that has so far been found is not actually about 11.04, but an earlier Ubuntu, and not like 11.04, or that is to say, have not been able to find in Ubuntu 11.04 the Panel(s) that match this tutorial. Might they materialise when a Modem is plugged in that Linux can detect? Have spent a lot of time in Ubuntu 11.04 trying to find the Dial-Up Setup area but cannot find it.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up-dial-up-connection-in-ubuntu.html

At the moment in Ubuntu 11.04 have only been able to find a Panel called "Terminal Server Client" but on the Web it says this is for linking computers in a network.

Agent_24, you seemed to get a shock upon using Dial-Up again!!! It is absolutely horrible, and is often excruciatingly frustrating because it can barely get out of it's own way at the best of times! Sitting around for up to five minutes or even more waiting for a single page to open is nothing unusual, and it's a fabulous joy when you are in a hurry!!! And yet, look at the price to have it!!! Also, an ever-increasing plethora of Websites are being exclusively designed for High-Speed-Broadband with extremely graphics-heavy content and lots of video (many Websites are basically all video) and these are no-go on Dial-Up, which can be extremely irksome too because more and more news Websites are like that, with very little text in places, and with video being the primary focal point of increasing numbers of "articles".

But good to see you got that Modem going, am hoping that as you are a Tech it might have been worth the trouble as an intellectual exercise, because it is still technology of a very high order, and there is no such thing as useless technical knowledge. You don't sound very happy with Ripoff American Telecom, Agent_24, so why don't ya give them the boot like I did and join Woosh: Woosh are a Kiwi Lines Company (located actually way down in Invercargill!) who are easy to switch over to from Telecom, Woosh will do it all for you. They charge less for a telephone line connection than Telecom, and they offer a full range of Broadband plans, and you get a "free" unlimited Dial Up account with your Line:

http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/Home/Home.aspx

They are pretty good, and they can't make much out of it because of the extortionate charges that American Telecom will be gouging them for access to the copper.

Am "zapping" off (in slow-motion!) now to do some more Web-crawling Agent_24, so Ciao for now, and thanks again for everything: Linux! Linux!!!

Agent_24
19-09-2011, 02:13 PM
the only decent (and very nicely illustrated) tutorial on configuring Internet Settings in Ubuntu that has so far been found is not actually about 11.04, but an earlier Ubuntu, and not like 11.04, or that is to say, have not been able to find in Ubuntu 11.04 the Panel(s) that match this tutorial. Might they materialise when a Modem is plugged in that Linux can detect? Have spent a lot of time in Ubuntu 11.04 trying to find the Dial-Up Setup area but cannot find it.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up-dial-up-connection-in-ubuntu.html

Yes, it seems in the newer versions they removed that handy little feature from the in-built network manager (quite stupid, really) - the old serial ports don't autodetect, unlike PCI, USB etc.

But that's OK. you just need to install a separate program called 'gnome-ppp' (and I think wvdial as well) - which hopefully will be on your Ubuntu disc (if you have the DVD, not CD version). If not, you'll probably have to download the program's package in Windows and then copy it onto your Ubuntu with a USB drive etc, and install it. Won't be too difficult though.

Yeah, Telecom are a bit of a ripoff I guess but they improve. Recently most customers got a 20GB data increase for free (if not double data) in fact, which was nice.

Dragonov
20-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Howdy Agent_24: have staggered in here after a whole series of defeats with the Dial-Up configuration thing: yesterday, after seeing your latest Post, went for a big hunt in Ubuntu (which is a DVD installation) for the Utilities you mention, but cannot find even one of them; have spent hours looking for them, but nothing has surfaced. Ended up finding them on the Web and downloading them : it appears that all of them have to be installed in order to create a functioning "suite" (there are three: gnome-ppp, wvdial, and wvstreams. From what I can gather, gnome-ppp needs wvdial, and wvdial needs wvstreams) but the language used on these Geeky Websites is very difficult for a layman to try and make sense of, and can only blindly try and guess what they mean.

Had grabbed one of those 8GB USB Drives from OfficeMax to use for Linux Ubuntu OS, so shoved the files into that, went into Ubuntu, and hunted around for a way to install them. Couldn't find a way to do it, - all there seems to be is a thing called the "Synaptic Package Manager" but how the hell do you use this thing? Went out back into Windows to trawl around the Web looking for a comprehensible "How-To" viz-a-viz Synaptic Package Manager, but every Website that had anything about it, was just so Geeky I couldn't understand what they were saying. Was up all night trying to find a way around this bloody annoying problem, but got nowhere.

Cannot understand why they do this: Geeks are only a tiny minority of computer users, and most computer users just want to be able to use their computers, instead of everything being like a Phd Test in Nuclear Physics: am seeing first-hand, right now, - why Linux is still a minority OS, and it is gonna continue to remain a minority OS until the Open Source people start to realise that most people with computers are not programmers/Geeks/Technicians and are just ordinary slobs who wanna use their computers without having to get a nuclear physics degree to be able to do it.

That tutorial thing (the excellently illustrated one showing how to set up a Dial-Up connection in Ubuntu) says it all, Agent_24: WHY did they remove that stuff from Ubuntu??? See what I mean how their minds are working? I would actually say that their minds are malfunctioning!!! The Firefox dudes are like that too - so far with practically every new version, they have omitted some of the best features from earlier versions, and a ghastly example of this strange thinking is in the "Add-On's" system in FF: in the "3" series (3.16, etc) they had a beautiful, easy to use, Add-On's/Plug-In's/Persona platform which was a delight to mess round with as it was so beautifully designed. But then along came the 4/5 Series where suddenly they got rid of the "3" Series Add-On's system and replaced it with a horrible, clunky, clumsy, awkward monstrosity that is a woeful pain in the Ass, and the question is, WHY??? They also ditched altogether the "Refresh" button, got rid of the "Stop" button, got rid of the "Padlock", and then got rid of the Loading-Bar/Status Bar!!! WHY???? They make all of these (except for the "Stop" button, or at least have never seen a "Stop" Add-On) available as Add-Ons but WHY didn't they just leave them inbuilt into Firefox??? Incidentally, that "Stop" button was one of the most useful features in Firefox's vast array of excellent features.

Agent_24, I am not the only one who is bewildered by these strange behaviours of those Geeks, and who wants to know WHY they do these things? It is as if they deliberately try to make everything as arcanely incomprehensible and as difficult to do as possible.... and yet they keep saying they want more people to use Linux/Open Source!!! These Linux people need to get more exposure to the real world so that they can see that most people are NOT like them!!!

So as said Agent_24 am pretty much marooned on a great big Linux sand-bar! But honestly Agent_24, I learnt how to use Windows on my own, doing my own research, and always found the information in the end to solve any problems that had arisen. Stuff like setting up a Dial-Up account and installing and uninstalling programmes was dead-easy from the outset, and a piece of cake to do. So again, Agent_24, WHY does Linux make such things so mind-bendingly difficult? They even admit that they do in Ubuntu 11.04 where in "Synaptic Package Manager" they talk about how hard to understand how to use Synaptic Package Manager actually is, and that most people won't be able to use it because of this fact. So why the HELL don't they do something about it??? WHY did they get rid of that system in that Tutorial I placed that Link to??? WHY do they do these things???

Agent_24, gonna go for a Web crawl to get away from Linux for a while, am excruciatingly frustrated (but nevertheless undaunted!) so gonna go browse some news sites until the temperature from the internal combustion begins to subside a bit!!!:dogeye::

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
20-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Howdy Agent_24: have staggered in here after a whole series of defeats with the Dial-Up configuration thing: yesterday, after seeing your latest Post, went for a big hunt in Ubuntu (which is a DVD installation) for the Utilities you mention, but cannot find even one of them; have spent hours looking for them, but nothing has surfaced. Ended up finding them on the Web and downloading them : it appears that all of them have to be installed in order to create a functioning "suite" (there are three: gnome-ppp, wvdial, and wvstreams. From what I can gather, gnome-ppp needs wvdial, and wvdial needs wvstreams) but the language used on these Geeky Websites is very difficult for a layman to try and make sense of, and can only blindly try and guess what they mean.

They can be easily installed from the 'Ubuntu Software Center' which is at the bottom of the standard "Applications" menu which is located on the top-left of the screen on the upper panel.

Just open "Ubuntu Software Center" and search for gnome-ppp in the search box, then hit the install button. It should install gnome-ppp, and wvdial etc from the DVD.

"Synaptic Package Manager" is what you could call a more advanced version of 'Ubuntu Software Center' (Although in actual fact the reverse is the case: Ubuntu Software Center is just a simplified interface for the other) - but all you should need to use at the moment is Ubuntu Software Center.

Cannot understand why they do this: Geeks are only a tiny minority of computer users, and most computer users just want to be able to use their computers, instead of everything being like a Phd Test in Nuclear Physics: am seeing first-hand, right now, - why Linux is still a minority OS, and it is gonna continue to remain a minority OS until the Open Source people start to realise that most people with computers are not programmers/Geeks/Technicians and are just ordinary slobs who wanna use their computers without having to get a nuclear physics degree to be able to do it.

I know, but they aren't making money from it, so I think they just make the thing the way they like it and have no real incentive to get anyone else to use it. You pretty much use it at your own choice\risk, in my opinion. I'm not exactly a Linux expert either! :rolleyes:

That tutorial thing (the excellently illustrated one showing how to set up a Dial-Up connection in Ubuntu) says it all, Agent_24: WHY did they remove that stuff from Ubuntu??? See what I mean how their minds are working? I would actually say that their minds are malfunctioning!!!

Yes, it is quite silly. I think they assume nobody uses dialup anymore (which is simply not true!) - but of course they still supply gnome-ppp etc to get around that problem, so it's not all bad.

The Firefox dudes are like that too - so far with practically every new version, they have omitted some of the best features from earlier versions, and a ghastly example of this strange thinking is in the "Add-On's" system in FF: in the "3" series (3.16, etc) they had a beautiful, easy to use, Add-On's/Plug-In's/Persona platform which was a delight to mess round with as it was so beautifully designed. But then along came the 4/5 Series where suddenly they got rid of the "3" Series Add-On's system and replaced it with a horrible, clunky, clumsy, awkward monstrosity that is a woeful pain in the Ass, and the question is, WHY??? They also ditched altogether the "Refresh" button, got rid of the "Stop" button, got rid of the "Padlock", and then got rid of the Loading-Bar/Status Bar!!! WHY???? They make all of these (except for the "Stop" button, or at least have never seen a "Stop" Add-On) available as Add-Ons but WHY didn't they just leave them inbuilt into Firefox??? Incidentally, that "Stop" button was one of the most useful features in Firefox's vast array of excellent features.

I agree with that too. Firefox is becoming more annoying. I can't say I like the new layout, but I fix it with some add-ons. Main one I use is "Status-4-Evar" which gives you a normal status bar back :) There's also another one called "Active Stop Button" which will let you have the normal stop\reload buttons back too.

So again, Agent_24, WHY does Linux make such things so mind-bendingly difficult? They even admit that they do in Ubuntu 11.04 where in "Synaptic Package Manager" they talk about how hard to understand how to use Synaptic Package Manager actually is, and that most people won't be able to use it because of this fact. So why the HELL don't they do something about it??? WHY did they get rid of that system in that Tutorial I placed that Link to??? WHY do they do these things???.

Actually I think most Distros are pretty sensible. The problem is the Ubuntu team like to change things and add new features every 5 minutes which means things don't often stay the same from one year to the next.

Other ones like Debian (what Ubuntu is based on) are more sensible and do not change so quickly.

Once you get the hang of installing programs in Linux and understand more of how it works, you would probably find the Synaptic Package Manager is actually not that difficult to use. I like it quite a lot.

Dragonov
20-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Hullo Agent_24, very good to read your reply, and thank you for writing it. After this, will get the Ubuntu DVD into the DVD Drive and then go into Ubuntu and see if Ubuntu Software Center can find and drag any of those Utilities off the DVD: interesting that Ubuntu Software Center is a GUI for the infernal Synaptic Package Manager!!! (SPM: Satanic Purgatorial Monstrosity!) so am impatient to give it a go. Yeah what you say is fair enough viz Linux being free so the Linux dudes should be allowed to do the stuff they like and have everything the way they want it, but having said that, the Linux Phenomenon was originally a radical "Crusade" to undermine the greedy capitalistic Microsoft, and provide the world with a free alternative OS to Microsoft, and of course this means Linux has gotta "convert" people to Linux, and the way to do that is to make it have, by means of interfaces, as User-Friendly a disposition as possible in order to make it easily accessible to the "broad masses" of the populace, and who are overwhelmingly non-Geeky. How many people would be driving cars if you had to be a qualified mechanic in order to be able to start them up and drive them? But because cars are so "User-Friendly" a lot of people drive them who know nothing about cars at all and who could not even change a wheel if a tyre went flat! Cars have got a User-Friendly GUI!!!

Gotta have my daily whinge Agent_24!

Hey thanks for pointing to that Add-On: "Active Stop Button" - am gonna look for that and shove some copies in the USB Drive; have been "driving" around in Firefox 3.17 (there is a Website called "OldApps" where you can can get vast amounts of old applications, including multiple "evolutionary versions" of for example Firefox:

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

If you scroll down the page a bit you will see a heck of a lot of Firefoxes you can download!!!) but Mozilla's Server nags at you to update your "old" Firefox; this is ok because the updated "old" Firefoxes" are different to their "pure" equivalents. In other words, if you let Mozilla update your "3" Series FF eventually to "4" and then "5", your "4" and "5" will not be the same as a "4" or "5" downloaded individually from a website. The updated "old" ones are much better and retainmore of their original good stuff, and anything that is lost can usually be reinstalled with an Add-On anyway. But the trick is to not let yourself get nagged into updating "5" to the dreaded "6". The "6" Series - which have just gotten rolling - are Uber Bad News Bears: have just had to wrench out a disastrous "6" update and start again with a Firefox 3.17 from outta the USB Drive!!! (and in no time was getting bombarded with Mozilla update Nag Panels!!!).

Hey Agent_24, do you use NoScript? That NoScript is a humungously powerful protective App and everyone with Firefox should have it, according to the pundits in the Mozilla "review" forums. There is another one that is highly recommended by Mozilla afficionado's to be used in conjunction with NoScript by people who have got Broadband, and this Add-On is "Better Privacy" (it "kills" a new, sinister type of "flash" cookie).

Check out, Agent_24 this pretty cool Anti-Keylogger/typographical keyscrambler for Firefox:

http://thepcsecurity.com/keyscrambler-free-anti-keylogger-software-firefox-security-addon/

(If you install the Anti-keylogger/typographical keyscrambler, you have to reboot your computer to "set" the programme: if the icon near your clock in Windows is red then you should reboot, you only gotta do it once, straight after installing it in Firefox).

Yes, that Status 4 Evar is a great app, cannot stand being without it (you can get the "Padlock"too as an Add-On):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/padlock-icon/

This next one "MozBackup", has been found to be indispensable: it is a fantastic Utility that comprehensively, all at once, will back-up your entire Firefox (including all settings, bookmarks, etc, although you get to choose exactly what it will back-up each time, and also when you install a backup) and Thunderbird, as well as other Open-Source programmes as well:

http://download.cnet.com/MozBackup/3000-2242_4-10260383.html

There sure is a lot of great Open-Source stuff around, and it is a real privilege to be able to see it and use it: incidentally Agent_24, while messing around in Ubuntu 11.04 was astounded to see that you can get Comodo Firewall into Ubuntu! If this is true, then am gonna be very happy as am a pretty fanatical "disciple" of the Comodo Firewall for XP3 and always felt a bit apprehensive about the "Invisible Ubuntu Firewall" that a non-Geek cannot see, cannot tune, and has to simply swallow on faith that the "Invisible Firewall" is safe to go on the Web with. An invisible Guard Dog that cannot be seen, cannot be instructed, cannot even be found anywhere!!! What a huge confidence booster!!!

But if Comodo can be installed in Ubuntu then we are talking about a REAL Firewall!

Finally Agent_24, the attitude to Dial-Up is pretty peculiar because, for a start, as the "developed world" gets poorer, more and more people will end up on Dial-Up (there are huge numbers already on it, and not least in the USA: in the USA there are vast areas where through-the-wire Broadband is unobtainable, and their copper network is shot to hell anyway, it is ancient and literally rotting to bits. It also, where through-the-wire Broadband is available, is hideously slow, and horribly expensive: do not be deceived by claptrap Hollyweird where Americans live in vast mansion-like houses with super high-speed broadband and massive flat-screen monitors in every room!!!) and then there are places like India where one would assume Dial-Up would be what most people who get access to the Web there would be using. Logic would suggest that it is overwhelmingly a Dial-Up Internet world!

Well Agent_24 gonna now head off on the Web to get that Add-On and then Ubuntu! Thanks again Agent_24, will be back for a bleat if something goes wrong, but hopefully the DVD has got those Utilities on it.

Cheerio Agent_24.

Agent_24
21-09-2011, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up about Comodo running in Linux - it might be possible to run it in WINE, but due to the completely different system, I doubt the firewall would actually have access to the Linux network stack.

Using the AV part might be possible, but not really necessary. If you did want an AV I would suggest ClamAV instead.

You can already get a firewall in Ubuntu anyway, search in the software centre for 'firewall'

Dragonov
21-09-2011, 10:15 AM
How goes it Agent_24, thanks for your Post: Agent_24, first will report about the "gnome adventures" ... and where (after grabbing a copy of that Stop/Reload App you described: looks very good; do not need it exactly now as have just today been updated to 3.6.22, and the layout is still "3 Series" - but that will soon change when "4" and "5" are reached and where that Add-On is gonna be needed; have got it deactivated in the Browser in readiness: am gonna let the updates continue until "5" is reached, and don't want to go any higher than that) Ubuntu was gone into and the Ubuntu Installation DVD was shoved in the Drive.

The sequence then was: Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > then typed into the Search Panel: gnome-ppp > Get Software (button)

The result was a Telephone Icon with GNOME PPP beside it, and written underneath those words was: GNOME Dialup Tool

Tried wvdial and wvstream but the Search could not locate these files.

So Agent_24, would that Gnome Icon/file have been grabbed from the DVD? Also, if so, and assuming that this actually is the Dial-Up Utility that is needed, will this on it's own be enough? What actually is likely to happen visually when that Modem is plugged in? Will a Dial-Up configuration panel pop up (to put details such as ISP phone number, Username, and Password into)?

Hope that Modem gets here this week!

Agent_24, pity about Comodo as am very fond of it! Have got a "thing" about Firewalls, so will go look in the Software Center for one (a GUI for the inbuilt "invisible" one?) as you advise. Will also look for that "Clam AV" as have got a "thing" about Antivirus/Anti-Malware applications too (well, am by nature Paranoid!!!). Do you use such an AV in Ubuntu Agent_24, and, if so does it ever find anything? There are people who reckon that Linux is "impervious" to "bugs", but others say that Linux OS's are getting attacked a lot more than they used to, and on one website there is a lot of talk (it is an I.T. "chat" site) about Linux Servers having been temporarily knocked out in a DOS attack or something. It led to one of the correspondents getting angry and saying that Servers are "different" to OS's, and by this he was no doubt meaning that a dude with a Linux PC at home is very unlikely to get walloped with a DOS onslaught, and that DOS is not the same as an OS getting infiltrated with "bugs". But still, there are those who say that Linux CAN get "bugs" nowadays, and the fact that there are AV's for them would imply that there is some truth to this.

Another thing Agent_24 while I remember: when installing Ubuntu, did not do the "Updates", and with this in mind, does Ubuntu automatically update when it gets hooked up to the Web after it has been installed? Am asking this as am pretty fanatical about updating stuff and want to make sure, as soon as that External Modem is plugged in, that if Ubuntu needs updating then it is gonna happen as fast as possible (5kbps max!!!).

Well, that is the "saga" so far Agent_24, so better pretty soon go back into Ubuntu to do some more investigation/orientation: been messing around with files and folders - it's a lot different to Windows XP but is exceedingly fascinating! It's as you said quite a long time ago about Ubuntu 11.04: Natty Narwhal - it IS a big OS with a heck of a lot of stuff in it!!!

Cheers Agent_24, your help is very highly appreciated.

Agent_24
21-09-2011, 12:32 PM
The sequence then was: Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > then typed into the Search Panel: gnome-ppp > Get Software (button)

The result was a Telephone Icon with GNOME PPP beside it, and written underneath those words was: GNOME Dialup Tool

Tried wvdial and wvstream but the Search could not locate these files.

The "Get Software" button just takes you back to the main-menu of Ubuntu Software Center.

When you searched for gnome-ppp it should have come up in the search results, then you should click on it and choose "install". Here's a screenshot of mine (my button says remove, as the program is already installed, but it's the same location)

It should automatically install wvdial\wvstream etc along with it - but probably won't tell you that it's done so.

Once installed you can find it under "Applications -> Internet -> Gnome PPP" - so check there to make sure it's installed.

So Agent_24, would that Gnome Icon/file have been grabbed from the DVD? Also, if so, and assuming that this actually is the Dial-Up Utility that is needed, will this on it's own be enough? What actually is likely to happen visually when that Modem is plugged in? Will a Dial-Up configuration panel pop up (to put details such as ISP phone number, Username, and Password into)?

Hope that Modem gets here this week!

When you plug it in, nothing will happen, as serial does not auto-detect.

In Gnome-ppp there is a button to scan and detect the modem, which you will have to do (make sure it's plugged in and turned on!)

You also enter your account name\password and ISP phone number of course.

If you get the same problem I did (disconnection) after you configure it, you may need to enable "Stupid Mode" as I did

Agent_24, pity about Comodo as am very fond of it! Have got a "thing" about Firewalls, so will go look in the Software Center for one (a GUI for the inbuilt "invisible" one?) as you advise. Will also look for that "Clam AV" as have got a "thing" about Antivirus/Anti-Malware applications too (well, am by nature Paranoid!!!). Do you use such an AV in Ubuntu Agent_24, and, if so does it ever find anything? There are people who reckon that Linux is "impervious" to "bugs", but others say that Linux OS's are getting attacked a lot more than they used to, and on one website there is a lot of talk (it is an I.T. "chat" site) about Linux Servers having been temporarily knocked out in a DOS attack or something. It led to one of the correspondents getting angry and saying that Servers are "different" to OS's, and by this he was no doubt meaning that a dude with a Linux PC at home is very unlikely to get walloped with a DOS onslaught, and that DOS is not the same as an OS getting infiltrated with "bugs". But still, there are those who say that Linux CAN get "bugs" nowadays, and the fact that there are AV's for them would imply that there is some truth to this.

Information about about viruses in Linux here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

I use ClamAV mainly for scanning USB drives, or hard drives (or my own Windows drives) if I suspect something nasty going on. It isn't really designed to protect your computer (Not realtime AV, only on-demand scanner)

Another thing Agent_24 while I remember: when installing Ubuntu, did not do the "Updates", and with this in mind, does Ubuntu automatically update when it gets hooked up to the Web after it has been installed? Am asking this as am pretty fanatical about updating stuff and want to make sure, as soon as that External Modem is plugged in, that if Ubuntu needs updating then it is gonna happen as fast as possible (5kbps max!!!).

When online, it does search for updates but will not install them until you let it. I think you can also disable the automatic checking of updates if you wish. Of course updating is a good idea (in the interests of security) but on dialup it will be slow, of course :( Up to you, really.

Dragonov
21-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi Agent_24: came here hours ago and saw your latest Post (thanks Agent_24) and after scrutinizing what you said, went and had an extremely protracted stint of head-banging in Ubuntu trying to find a way to make it do what your description says it should do.... but it won't!!! Keep getting things happening that are not in any way like your description. Am gonna here recap in careful detail exactly what happens:

After the DVD is put in the Drive, I go: Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > Get Software.

The Get Software Main Panel has got, at top-left back/forewards buttons, a "get software" button, and a "search results" button. On the right-hand side of the Panel is the Search Box, which has a little magnifying-glass icon at it's left end, and a "hearth-brush" icon at it's right end.

When "gnome-ppp" is typed into the Search Box a little red "telephone" icon immediately appears on the left-hand side of the Panel just underneath the row of buttons at top-left of the Panel. This telephone icon has written next to it: "GNOME PPP" and "GNOME Dialup Tool". Underneath this is a button with "More Info" written on it.

Pushing the "More Info" button (or else left-double-clicking the red telephone) sends you to a blue Panel with a big red telephone icon, and a long yellow strip underneath it and upon which is written: "Available from the universal source". At the right-hand end of the yellow strip is a gray button with "use this source" written on it.

Pressing this gray button makes a "Security Pop-Up" materialise where you have to enter your Password, and press a button that says "Authenticate".

Pressing "Authenticate" then makes the blue panel with the big red telephone and yellow strip reappear again, but this time the gray "use this source" button is faded and inactive.

And that is "it"! A dead-end!

There is no gnome-ppp in Applications > Internet: nothing "gnome" in the list at all.

However, in Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > Internet > All 276 (where a scroll-list of programmes materialise) there is down in that list the red GNOME PPP telephone icon, and directly under that is an icon of a box with things in it, and beside it these words: "GNOME PPPon Start a PPP connection".

Clicking on either icon makes a "More Info" button appear, and clicking on them sends you to the blue Panel with the big red telephone and yellow strip!!!

HEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Agent_24
21-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I am not 100% sure but what you're describing gives me the impression that the gnome-ppp program is not actually on the Ubuntu disc you've got.

I think the simplest way to fix this will be to download the gnome-ppp and wvdial packages separately in Windows first, then copy them to your Ubuntu installation and install them in there.

Download both of these:

http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu//pool/main/w/wvdial/wvdial_1.61-2_i386.deb
http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu//pool/universe/g/gnome-ppp/gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb

Don't try to open or run them in Windows, just save them to your USB drive or other media that will be accessible in your Ubuntu.

Then, boot up Ubuntu, and locate the files you downloaded.

Double-click on the wvdial one first, and it should open in Ubuntu Software Center automatically, which will ask if you wish to install it. If it complains the source is untrusted, just tell it proceed.

Do the same for the gnome-ppp package.

You should then have the programs installed.

Agent_24
21-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Edit:

Sorry, missed a couple of things, and can't edit the original reply now.
You'll also need to download and install these three packages:

http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu//pool/main/w/wvstreams/libuniconf4.6_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu//pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-base_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb
http://mirror.ihug.co.nz/ubuntu//pool/main/w/wvstreams/libwvstreams4.6-extras_4.6.1-1ubuntu1_i386.deb

Before you install wvdial and gnome-ppp.

Dragonov
22-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Thanks a lot Agent_24, have just come here to see if you have replied to the earlier Bleat, and it is very good to see your Post: am gonna download and shove all those files in the USB Drive right now, and try and install them.

Cheers Agent_24.

Dragonov
22-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Botched this post, gonna try again.

Dragonov
22-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Hallelujah Agent_24, they are all installed!!! (as you suspected, Agent_24, only gnome-ppp is shown in that "Applications > Internet" drop-down list you described earlier): got a hell of a fright to start with though, because Ubuntu was rejecting everything, but the way that it was doing it made me end up suspecting eventually that it might be the Formatting of the USB Drive (it was probably FAT32) so found the Ubuntu Formatter and let Ubuntu Format it (Ubuntu made it FAT). Went out and into XP3 to get more files from your Posts, and then went back into Ubuntu with the files put into the reFormatted USB Drive.

It worked! The first file when double-clicked saw Ubuntu File Center Panel immediately appear, and the file installed easily. But the next one did not - it got rejected! Pressed the "Reinstall" button after the panic had subsided a bit, and she went in good as gold!!! Nearly passed out!!! Several others initially got rejected as well but they all went in on "Reinstall". Those rejections were pretty traumatising though!!!

Wow, what a night! But a damn good one thanks to you Agent_24: you have hauled me out of some nasty jams that I could not have solved. It's heck of a good of you to have gone to substantial lengths yet again to help me by obtaining and then placing those files on NZ PC World for me and writing the excellent instructions: YAY!!! LINUX!!! LINUX!!! ONLINE SOON!!!

And all thanks to you Agent_24. Cheers! (Modem should be arriving any day now).

Gonna now go look for that "Clam AV" you pointed me to and then go read that Wikipedia article about Linux viruses you put the Link to (been up all night with Ubuntu - was in-and-out of Ubuntu into XP a lot for various reasons that were necessary, so it took a while) so Adios Agent_24, and am very grateful for your very generously helping me like this.

(That "Botched post" thing was where the above writing was actually "placed", but wanted to put a "smilie" on it, so took it to the "Editor" to put the "smilie" in, and then tried to "place" the post again, but it appeared on the page as a long very narrow column of text and looked terrible; so am sticking to the little "Text Panel" at the bottom of the "Post" page to write everything in now).

Dragonov
22-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Latest development, Agent_24: the Modem arrived today and looks damn good; however Agent_24 there are two "problems" - (1) the Modem phone-jack sockets are for US RJ-11 adapters. Have managed to find on TradeMe someone auctioning a phone-line with a standard British adapter on one end, and a US RJ-11 adapter on the other end. Have left a message asking for a "Buy Now" but there is no way of getting it until late next week anyway, even if he did a "Buy Now", because of the weekend (interbank payment transfer system shuts down) and the snail-paced NZ postal system. Oh well....

The other thing, Agent_24 is that the cable that came with the Modem has got a Male 9-pin serial adapter on one end that goes into the Modem, and it has a Female (9-pin) serial adapter on the other end that goes into the computer. However, there is another short cord (about six inches long, which is very short and strongly suggests by this that it is meant to be plugged into the back of the computer) coming out of the back of the Female adapter, and it has got a very big Female adapter on it that has twenty-five pin-holes in it. There is nowhere in the back of the PC where this can be plugged in, so am extremely worried that the Modem might not work without this big adapter being plugged in.

If it has to be, then the quest to get Linux online will go straight down to Davy Jones because that adapter cannot be plugged into my PC.

Agent_24, is the cable for your Dial-Up Modem like the one that is being described here? What does the big adapter (if there is one on your cable) plug into?

Well that's the developments so far Agent_24, better go hunt on the Web for more information about the Modem.

Cheerio Agent_24.

Agent_24
22-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Really? I thought the phone line plugs would be exactly the same as the ones on your current modem.

RJ-11 is as far as I know, used on all dialup modems. You should be able to use the cable which is currently connected to your internal modem.

As for the serial cable, don't worry about that. They put both a 9-pin and a 25-pin plug on as there are in fact two different sizes of serial port sockets used on PCs.

Typically the new ones use the 9-pin, and the older ones (like a 386!) have the 25-pin sockets.

Just plug the 9-pin one into your machine and leave the 25-pin one disconnected :)

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Howdy Agent_24, is it ever good to "see" you here again, and thanks very much for your latest Post: Agent_24, no jive but there are two kinds of RJ-11 adapter (have been today frantically researching this stuff on the Web!!!) - there is the one that we are all used to in EnZed, which is the "skinny" opaque, rectangular "milky" white one and is called the "British" adapter; but also there is an American RJ-11 adapter as well, and it is a squat, "stubby" or "blockish" type which seems always to be made of a clear, perspex-like plastic. Have personally encountered these things long ago, but cannot remember what device was involved. Possibly a VCR. There is nothing surprising about this because, after all, the Americans have Gallons, but they are not like the British Gallons, and the American weights and measures are not like the British weights and measures! Incidentally, the Russians, Germans, Scandanavians, and French have never been able to understand why the British and Americans obstinately cling to their bizaare, antiquated systems of weights and measures and do not instead use the otherwise practically universal Metric System.

The Modem I have got, Agent_24, cannot accept into it's two phone-line Ports the British/NZ adapters and so gotta get a (hopefully short - have got cables and wires all over the place from the computer) phone-cord with a British/NZ adapter on one end and the American adapter on the other end. This is no problem, as there is exactly what is needed on Trademe - came across it straight away, and it seems to be the only dual British/American cord there. Have put an auto-bid on it.

Agent_24, here is a very good Website that shows you Dial-Up telephone cord/line adapters from all of the different countries of the world:

http://phone-jack.org/

Thank you Agent_24 for removing what was a merciless crushing weight off my back with the information about that big "extra" plug on the Modem Cable: had been keeping on getting it out of the box, staring at it, and Freaking-Out!!! That plug seemed to be jeering: "LINUX SHIP SUNK!"

But she aint sunk, thanks to you Agent_24, and continues to sail determinedly towards an Internet Connection!!! To have Linux Ubuntu online (a truly beautiful OS Agent_24, but heck of a Geeky!!!) is worth any amount of waiting, but having said that, am nearly going "Ape" wanting to get Ubuntu online!

Cheers Agent_24 and Muchas Gracias Numero!

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Interesting, but I'm still confused about the modem's plugs, for some reason.

All my phone cables, modem cables, etc have the flat white "British" plug on one end (which goes into the wall jack) and the clear square RJ-11 which goes to the phone, modem etc on the other end.

I haven't yet seen any that are different, except the ones for use with an ADSL router and ADSL inline filter which have an RJ-11 on both ends.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Gooday Agent_24, you have made "The Penny Drop" and (you) have completely solved the impasse: now have remembered finally where that "fat" clear little American-type RJ-11 adapter was seen: it is the adapter that goes into the internal Modem of my PC!!! Had completely forgotten about it, - had not seen it for ages due to the nature of the place where I live, the computer Processing Tower has to be in a position that makes accessing it's back (where is nearly all of the Ports: on the front there are only two USB Ports and nothing else, but have got a big USB Hub that plugs into one of the front USB Ports) a very difficult proposition, and especially with all of the cables that are coming out of it and swathed around it, so have not seen that plug for a hell of a long time, and was trying to remember last night where that one that had been long ago seen, was seen!!! Would not have remembered, so your revelation, Agent_24, has been pivotal, and yet again because of you, Linux Ubuntu is now very close to being online, and am gonna try and get Ubuntu online today, once the cat's cradle of wiring on the PC is sorted out (the External Modem is gonna make the "wiring network" into a tapestry!)

Hell's Bells!!! Have put an auto-bid on Trademe for a special cable to try and get round what was earlier seen as being a "roadblock" to progess, and am guaranteed to win the auction!!! What I should be hunting for on TradeMe is an operable brain!

Aint gonna Bleat, as will walk the Plank to get Linux online.

Much appreciate Agent_24, am preparing now to drag the Tower out, and connect the Modem to it.

Thanks Agent_24, might even very soon be able to write here a post using Linux Firefox!!!

P.S: Have downloaded and got both the Windows and Linux versions of Clam AV. After writing this am gonna go back to that Website as am pretty sure they have got another Clam utility that "watches" the Registry for suspicious alterations.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Agent_24, bidding on that phone-line on TradeMe is not so witless after all as badly need it: the computer is an absolute nightmare to try and change over from the PC Internal Modem to the External Serial Modem and vice-versa. With that TradeMe phone-line will not have to haul the Tower out from it's "cubby-hole" (live in a very cramped environment and where the computer is, is the only place it can go, even though it is in a very bad and infernally awkward location if you have to mess around with cables, etc: it is actually on a recessed shelf, and the Monitor can only just squeeze in beside it, leaving no room at all) because have got one of those phone-line "reel" things that goes to the wall-socket, and the "reel" also has sockets in it's side that you can plug more phone lines into. So, with that one from TradeMe, will be able to have it permanently plugged into the PC Internal Modem, and then will be able to switch Modems by plugging either one into the "reel" and maybe both of them could be left plugged into it all the time(?). If they cannot be, no problem anyway.

Agent_24, there is a CD ROM with the Modem, but the PC DVD Drive will not read it. It is supposed to have a Manual, Drivers, etc on it. Hope it is not needed because it will not play. Also, Windows "New Hardware" could not recognise the External Modem.

Early days, first look at the new landscape. Still a ways to go, but onwards!

Salyut! Agent_24.

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, leaving both plugged in and switching at the reel should be just fine. But I wouldn't leave the external modem powered up all the time if you're not using it.

You shouldn't need the CD really. You can in fact get the stuff from Cnet's website. At a guess: http://www.cnet.com.tw/download/cn5614xe.htm for yours. However Windows should be able to use it just fine if you install it as "Standard 56k modem"

You will need to do so through the "Phone and modem options" in control panel. Open "Phone and modem options" -> "Modems" tab -> "Add" and either select the driver from Cnet or just choose standard 56k modem. When it asks for the port, it's probably COM1 (Unless the motherboard has been set up otherwise)

You could check "ports" under device manager and see what name your serial port is, if you're unsure. This will not be the same port as your internal dialup modem, which will actually use its own virtual serial port.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Gooday Agent_24: hey thanks for the further info, as badly need it. So, Agent_24 if I can get that Driver from the CNet website and install it, does that mean the External Modem can be used for both Linux and Windows?

Agent_24, went and downloaded that Driver from your Link, and it is a zip folder and has several folders in it for different Windows OS's: when it (the XP folder) is opened, there are the following six files (they all have icons, but for some reason they will not "Copy-And-Paste" here):

Intels51 Intels51 IntelS51
Security Catalog Setup Information System File
8kb 124 kilobytes 655kb

MDMINT2K migrate.dll VSSVER.SCC
Setup Information SCC File
14kb 1kb

Agent_24, I don't know which one is the Driver!

Also, do not want to add any more complexity to this, but had a "dabble" in the "Phone and Modem Options" and ended up in the "Add Hardware Wizard". So decided to see what would happen if I switched the External Modem on. It led to being prompted to put the CNet CD in the DVD Drive, and did this, and ended up being asked to select the Modem from a list as follows:

Intel V92 External [MD5660] Modem
Intel V92 PCMCIA [MD5661] Modem

Agent_24, have absolutely no idea which one is my one: there are no such codes anywhere on the Modem itself, or the "official" CNet box that it came in (there is a lot of writing underneath the box (!!!) but no such code; or in the rudimentary "handbook".

This is as far as I have got Agent_24: do not want to do anything wrong so am here trying to show you what I am seeing.

Thanks Agent_24, what would you advise as the best course of action? Cheers!

dugimodo
23-09-2011, 01:04 PM
As far as the RJ11 cable goes, if you don't win the auction you can just steal one from almost any old telephone. The are the same, RJ11 on the phone end and BT on the other. ( can't remember the specific model But BT will do = British Telecom )

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Agent_24 am having a terrible day: every time I tried to "place" the above post all of the files that were written out either got jumbled up together or else went missing completely: tried and tried and tried again but nothing worked, and in the end took so long trying to do it a different way in the "Editing" area, that got a message from NZ PC World saying that fifteen minutes had been exceeded and permission from an Administrator was needed before the post could be "placed".

Am getting punch-drunk!

Agent_24 am gonna try and write the files out in another post. Cheers!

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Intels51
Security Catalog
8kb

IntelS51
System File
655kb

migrate.dll

Intels51
Setup Information
124kb

MDMINT2K
Setup Information
14kb

VSSVER.SCC
SCC File
1kb

Fingers crossed that these post!!! Agent_24, the above are the files in the XP CNET Diver Folder.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your Post dugimodo, good to "see" you here! If anyone outbids me on that phone-line then they had better urgently consult a psychiatrist!

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Also, do not want to add any more complexity to this, but had a "dabble" in the "Phone and Modem Options" and ended up in the "Add Hardware Wizard". So decided to see what would happen if I switched the External Modem on. It led to being prompted to put the CNet CD in the DVD Drive, and did this, and ended up being asked to select the Modem from a list as follows:

Intel V92 PCMCIA [MD5661] Modem

Agent_24, have absolutely no idea which one is my one: there are no such codes anywhere on the Modem itself, or the "official" CNet box that it came in (there is a lot of writing underneath the box (!!!) but no such code; or in the rudimentary "handbook".

It's likely the External [MD5660] one. Won't be PCMCIA as that's a type of slot used for expansion in laptops.

The modem should have a sticker on it somewhere with a model number (which is likely CN5614XE)

If you want to use the downloaded files, extract them somewhere (desktop for example) and then when the add hardware wizard asks for a driver, point it to the .INF file in the WinXP folder of the driver.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Hell's Bell's dugimodo, have just dragged out an old telephone and by heck it is exactly as you say! Had absolutely no idea there was a British/American cord just an arms reach away (I use that phone though, and really do need that one from TradeMe because it can just be left permanently plugged into the back of the computer: it is bad news trying to fumble around back there trying to especially get one of those plugs into the back without having to haul the whole Tower out with its morass of cables everywhere, and thats the only way I can get those piddly little plugs into the thing usually).

Cheers dugimodo!

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Agent_24, thank you for your post: am going to now have a go at using the downloaded file "Intels51.inf" (should have written it in the list but was copying from something else). Here goes!

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi Agent_24: have been looking at the "Ports" in Device Manager but the only mention of "serial" I can find is in the Drivers Section. There are two Ports, COM1 and COM2 (plus a Printer Port) and in their "Drivers" info, they both have a "serial" Driver. Here is how the Drivers in each Port are described:

COM1:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\serial.sys

COM2:

Exactly the same as for COM1 (above)

Agent_24, am floundering again! Better also add here, had another go at using the CD but Windows stops me with an alarming warning not to install the Driver(s) from it as it/they are not signed, and are not recognized by Microsoft. The message is emphatic: DO NOT INSTALL. It says the Driver(s) on the CD could dangerous to the OS and also make it vulnerable to attack from the Web.

Have got the file you said to use (downloaded from CNet) on the Desktop but am stuck because I don't know what Port should be selected (COM1 or COM2).

Am just trying to be as careful as possible Agent_24. Cheers!

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Installing unsigned drivers can be a security risk, but in this case it should be OK as they are from the official driver CD - However the ones from the website are likely newer\better anyway.

Looking at your motherboard manual (MS-7181 as you stated in other thread) it states the external serial port (on the back) is COM1 so I would try that.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that, Agent_24: am trying to "navigate" to the CNet XP file on the Desktop but cannot accomplish a Driver installation. Here is exactly the sequence, and what keeps on happening:

ADD HARDWARE WIZARD:

Phone and Modem Options > Add > Install New Modem (next) > (Windows tries to detect new Modem but is unable to) > "Select the manufacturer and model of your Modem. If your Modem is not listed, or you have an installation disk, click Have Disk" (I click "Have Disk") > (A panel comes up which down the bottom has a thing where you can search for Drivers on the computer, so I locate the CNet Driver on the Desktop by using "Browse" and when it is highlighted and "Open" is pressed, the panel returns with this in it: C:\Documents and settings\STARITZA\Desktop ("Staritza" is "my" name when using the computer).

Can get no further than this, because when "OK" is pressed, I get dumped back to that panel with the "Have Disk" button on it.

Need a drink!!!

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Which file are you selecting when you click the "have disk" button?

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 04:01 PM
IntelS51
System file
655kb

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 04:12 PM
You should be selecting the one that ends in .INF eg: MDMINT2K.INF

However, I am not sure where you actually got these "IntelS51" files from?? The ZIP archive I downloaded contains none of these.

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi Agent_24: yes, there is MDMINT.2K.INF but as for IntelS51, it was in the XP Folder. Have downloaded the zip folder several times, and the last time there was a file missing, so beats me what the heck is going on:stare: (there had always been six previously). Have been re-reading your Posts on Page 5 and you say there to grab the "inf" file, but no "Inf" is shown on the files I download until they are copied and pasted into Wordpad, and where you can then see the "inf" on two of them (the other one is Intels51.inf).

Have been reading your instructions again, Agent_24, so am gonna now go and have another bang at installing MDMINT.2K.INF

Here's hoping. Thanks Agent_24.

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 05:16 PM
You could probably just forget about their driver and install the Windows-supplied "Standard 56000bps Dialup modem" driver

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Hey Agent_24, it seems to have worked: MDMINT.2K.INF looks to have been installed (Windows was not happy and bombarded me with warnings of possible dire circumstances from installing the Driver such as System Instability and damage. I overrode Windows each time and soon was seeing that window where you see fluttery pieces of paper flittering across it as per the old-style Windows download graphics.

Oh, by the way, for the Modem I selected "Standard 56000bps Modem"

Agent_24, should XP3 be able to connect to the Web through the External Modem now?

The External Modem is showing in the Add Hardware Wizard as:

Also Agent_24, that Modem Code you wrote in an earlier Post, well my Modem has got exactly that Code:

CN5614XE

The Modem has got a little switch on the back so it can easily be turned on and off.

Heck it has been a big day, but might have achieved something in the end, thanks to your advice and keeping an eye on things: again, could never have done this on my own, normally won't even go near Drivers.

So might get the telephone line out of the Internal Modem and shove it into the External one again, and try Windows and Linux with it. Fingers crossed.

All the very best, Agent_24.

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes, you should be able to test the new modem out now in Windows.

I suspect you'll have to modify your dial-in connection to use the new modem, or create a new connection (with same settings) but pick the new external modem instead of the internal one.

If that all checks out, we can then have the fun of getting it configured in Ubuntu!

Dragonov
23-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Howdy Agent_24: had a hell of a time getting the telephone plug out of the back of the PC (it is bad news: those idiotic little American plugs have hardly anything you can grip them by - bet they were invented by some misanthrope who was wanting to get revenge on humanity) and it turned out to be a forlorn hope anyway: fraid the Modem is not connecting to the Web. In XP3 the Modem is in the "Modem" Settings panel, and I unticked the Internal Modem and ticked the External Modem, but cannot access the Web - keep getting a message saying "No Dial Tone". After several attempts, with the same result, changed back over to the Internal Modem (shoved the phone line also back into the Internal Modem) only to find it did not work either! Nearly Freaked! However, after deleting my account and making it up new again, she went online no sweat, so all good.

Am hanging it up for tonight Agent_24, best to attack it again on a new day. Incidentally, there is something about the Modem that has me raising an eyebrow, and it is that the phone-plug is a loose fit in both sockets and has a propensity to fall out of the sockets. It is a very tight fit in the Internal Modem socket and "clicks" into place with a substantial degree of ferocity! Getting it out again can be a very difficult process! But in the External Modem the plug is not like that at all. Am wondering if the sloppy "fit" of the plug in both sockets and how it won't "click" or "lock" into position, might be where the problem is? The Modem also from time to time emits a strange "clicking" noise like a stick being dragged down a washboard.

But that is for another day.

Thanks for all your help today Agent_24; it is getting there bit-by-bit, but am just hoping that there isn't anything major to have to grapple with.

Cheers Agent_24, and thanks again, your help is appreciated greatly.

Agent_24
23-09-2011, 07:50 PM
The plug is supposed to click into place in the socket, to stop it falling out. To remove it, you must squeeze the little plastic clip so it is flat against the side of the plug and then pull.

If the clip has broken off then it will be quite difficult to remove the cable from any socket. The attached photo shows what the plug should look like:

Unless that clip has broken off, or similar, then the fact that your cable is falling out of the new modem is rather odd.

All I can think of then, is are you putting it in around the right way?

If you look into the socket on the back of the modem, one side has some little gold spring contacts which should line up with the gold contacts on the plug. The side of the socket without the gold contacts is where the clip goes.

You said the modem had no dialtone. Did it make any sound at all when you dialled? You can turn off "Check for dialtone" and it should then try to dial anyway - and you should be able to hear the usual phone-number dialling sound. Of course it won't connect but this would test if the PC is actually communicating with the modem properly.

Also, what do the lights on the front of the modem do?

That clicking sound you describe sounds a bit strange, though. Does the clicking co-incide with any light flashing?

Dragonov
24-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Hullo Agent_24; guess what - am online now writing this using the External Modem! A new day, clear head, and getting to grips with the Modem again in a quietly methodical fashion produced the completely unexpected result of a Web hookup taking place (accompanied with a hell of a lot of "dialling" noises emanating from the Modem!).

The (telephone line) plug HAS got the little lever on it (which is almost inaccessible when it is jacked into the Internal Modem) but it still falls out of both Ports on the External Modem, although it is a slightly "better" fit in one of them. I shoved it in there and securely taped it into place. The next step was to delete the Internal Modem account, and make a new account for the External Modem (had done a bit of configuring in the "Modem" programme too). Then tried it, and was astonished at all the "Dialup Bleeps" that started to erupt out of the Modem!!!

She is good, Agent_24, and she has not been making that clicking noise either. Hey Agent_24, is this Modem definitely a V92 (?) because they are by far the best according to the websites about External Modems.

Well, am gonna post this now so you can see it Agent_24. Thanks heaps, might be able to have a dabble at Linux next? Cheers Agent_24.

Dragonov
24-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey Agent_24, just noticed something: am only connecting to the Web at 52.0 kbps. Occasionally with the Internal Modem you would get a low speed when you dialed, but this was easy to cure by just shutting the connection down, and then starting it up again. Always got it back to 56.0 kbps as it should be.

But redialing does not make the 52.0 kbps speed go up to 56.0 kbps.

On Dial-Up the absolutely last thing that is needed is a slower speed!!!

Agent_24
24-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Ahh, you may have had the line plugged into the wrong jack the first time, if you look, one will say Line and the other Phone - you must plug the phone cable from the wall to the "line" socket or nothing would happen ;)

As for the 52k speed issue - unfortunately that number displayed is a limitation of external serial modems - the line rate is typically hidden and Windows reports a false rate based on the speed of the serial port of itself.

If you change the port speed of the modem in its options, you may find you can 'connect' at a rate higher than 56k (of course it will be lies, too!)

Go to "phone and modem options" -> "modems" -> select your modem -> "Properties" -> "modem" tab and change the "maximum port speed" to something else. Try raising it, but if that makes no difference, perhaps try lowering it! - don't go below 57600 bps though.

In that page you can also turn down the speaker volume if it annoys you when dialling.

http://www.cnet.com.tw/product/cn5614xe.htm says it supports v.92

Let me know when you want to try it in Linux!

Dragonov
24-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Agent_24, good to see your latest Post: Agent_24, so am I actually connected to the Web at 50.6 kbps (?) even though the "Status" reading (by pointing at the "Online" icon on the Task-Bar by the Clock) is saying 52.0 kbps (???). Had previously tried putting the "Modem Speed" (in Modem Settings) up, but it didn't make any difference.

If the 52.0 kbps reading is a false one, and if the true speed of the Modem is actually 50.6 kbps, then am happy!

Have in the meanwhile changed back to the Internal Modem again.

All the very best, Agent_24, and many thanks (is it okay with you if we could maybe look at Linux tomorrow, as am gonna be drinking this afternoon?).

Agent_24
24-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I think the only way to find the real speed is to get some sort of connection log out of the thing, and read it (but I don't know how you'd do that in Windows)

And yeah, probably best to look at Linux when you're sober! :lol:

Snorkbox
24-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Use Windows > CP > Phones and Modems > Diagnostics for true speeds.

Dragonov
24-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi Agent_24 and snorkbox, appreciate your observations (didn't get into the beverage today Agent_24 after all, but had other stuff to do anyway): had a look where snorkbox said to and here is what "Diagnostics" says about the INTERNAL Modem:

09-24-2011 16:15:01.390 - Connection established at 50667bps.

Intend to drag the Processing Tower out tomorrow, reconnect the External Modem (yes Agent_24, those telephone sockets in it have got "LINE" under one, and "PHONE" under the other: the reason the Modem worked the last time is because the plug was shoved into the "Line" one because that is the slightly "tighter" one; didn't even know that lettering was there though as it is embossed in black plastic and the light is not good where the computer is either. Anyway, would not have known what they meant even if the lettering had been seen!!!) and see what Diagnostics might be able to reveal about the External Modem speed: will have to copy-and-paste it here to show you because I am not sure how to interpret the numbers produced in Diagnostics: will put here the entire Diagnostic "printout" for the External Modem.

While in the "Modem Settings" I have several times (with both the External and Internal Modems connected) pushed the "Query Modem" button, and always get the same message - it says that there is something else using the same Port as the Modem, and the Query cannot be made while the other "entity" is using the Port.

Do not know what else could be using the Port? Is it okay for multiple programmes to use the same Port?

Cheers Agent _24 and snorkbox.

Dragonov
25-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Agent_24 and snorkbox, have rigged up the External Modem and opened up "Phone and Modem" to get a Diagnostics reading, and here it is:

ModemLog_Intel V92 External (MD 5660) Modem (Diagnostics in Phone and Modem):

09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\tapisrv.dll, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdm.tsp, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\unimdmat.dll, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\uniplat.dll, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\modem.sys, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\modemui.dll, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdminst.dll, Version 5.1.2600
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - Modem type: Intel V92 External (MD5660) Modem
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - Modem inf path: oem5.inf
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - Modem inf section: Gen56kExt
09-25-2011 12:11:06.156 - Matching hardware ID: unimodemda266f53
09-25-2011 12:11:06.171 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
09-25-2011 12:11:06.171 - Initializing modem.
09-25-2011 12:11:06.187 - Send: ATZ<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.187 - Recv: ATZ<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.187 - Command Echo
09-25-2011 12:11:06.343 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.343 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.359 - Send: AT&FE0V1W2&D2&C1S0=0-C0<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.359 - Recv: AT&FE0V1W2&D2&C1S0=0-C0<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.359 - Command Echo
09-25-2011 12:11:06.453 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.453 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.468 - Send: ATS7=60\T0L1M0\N3-J1%C1"H3\Q3B0N1X4<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.562 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.562 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.562 - Waiting for a call.
09-25-2011 12:11:06.578 - Send: at+vcid=1<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.625 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.625 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.640 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.687 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.687 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.687 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
09-25-2011 12:11:06.687 - Initializing modem.
09-25-2011 12:11:06.703 - Send: ATZ<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.781 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.781 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.796 - Send: AT&FE0V1W2&D2&C1S0=0-C0<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.812 - Recv: AT&FE0V1W2&D2&C1S0=0-C0<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.812 - Command Echo
09-25-2011 12:11:06.890 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:06.890 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:06.906 - Send: ATS7=60\T0L1M0\N3-J1%C1"H3\Q3B0N1X4<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:07.000 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:07.000 - Interpreted response: OK
09-25-2011 12:11:07.000 - Dialing.
09-25-2011 12:11:07.015 - Send: ATDT#########<cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Recv: <cr>
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Interpreted response: Informative
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Recv: <lf>
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Interpreted response: Informative
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Recv: CONNECT 52000
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Interpreted response: Connect
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Connection established at 52000bps.
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Error-control off or unknown.
09-25-2011 12:11:28.796 - Data compression off or unknown.

Even I can see that it is only operating at 52.0 kbps instead of 56.0 kbps as per the Internal Modem, so if the External Modem is used everything is gonna be 4.0 kbps slower! It doesn't seem like much, but it is still something, and on a Dial-Up connection it will be very hard to try and live with such a loss, as nothing can be afforded to be lost in such an agonizingly slow environment. Will always be irritatingly conscious of the "missing" 4.0 kbps!!! It will NAG!!! It will see Windows being switched over to the Internal Modem.

So Agent_24 and snorkbox, where to from here? Try and get a Linux Driver into the Internal Modem?

Gonna change to the Internal Modem now and await further advice. Cheers Agent_24 and snorkbox.

Agent_24
25-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't actually think it will make much difference.

56000bps = 7kB/s
52000bps = 6.5kB/s
(Theoretical maximums)

I've never seen my dialup modem download at more than 5.2kB/s (And it connected at 56k all the time) - the maximum is just that - the maximum possible speed attainable - not a guaranteed sustained throughput speed.

You'd have to do some speed tests and download time tests on both modems to find out if there is actually a difference.

But anyway, to get it going in Ubuntu....

Boot up your Ubuntu and open Gnome-ppp

Go to the advanced settings, and make sure your modem is turned on and hit the 'detect' button - some lights should flash on the modem and it should complete the detection without error.

Then exit from that settings page and enter your username, password and ISP phone number and try connecting. If you get some errors and it doesn't work, post what the error is here.

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for your reply, Agent_24, will have a go at hooking Linux up tomorrow (couldn't do anything more today because of other stuff). Agent_24, what speed do you get with your External Modem? The CN5614XE CNet Modem (my one) is a V92, and these are the fastest type of External Dial-Up Modem.

Tomorrow then, Agent_24: it will be very excellent to be able to "drive" Linux around on the Web!!!

Ciao, and thank you Agent_24.

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 12:30 AM
P.S. Agent_24: on the Internal Modem I have never got (except during those strange "surges" that can happen where huge download speeds can temporarily happen - but unfortunately they do not last longer than a couple of minutes or so) more than about 5.02 kbps download speed. 4.08 - 5.0 kbps is the norm. Eye-wateringly slow!!!

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 12:34 AM
P.P.S, Agent_24: is it true that, if they wanted to, ISP's could give their Dial-Up users faster speeds by cranking up the compression levels at the ISP Server-end?

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
26-09-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know. I would assume the ISP supports all types of compression, and it's up to your modem etc what level of compression is performed.

Of course, some files will compress better than others, so it also depends on what you are downloading at the time. I always had compression turned on when I used dialup, but I have no idea how much difference it made!

Haven't checked speed of my modem, it was connected at 115kbps (serial port speed only, of course!) in Windows.

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Have just been reading your latest Posts, Agent_24, and have rigged up the PC to the External Modem (writing this on it now!) and have copied-and-pasted onto "Wordpad" the Linux information you provided. Am going to put that into the Linux USB Flash-Drive and hope that, after going into Ubuntu, it can be accessed in order to precisely follow your instructions for getting Linux Ubuntu Firefox to at last obtain access to the Web!

Am going to try it now Agent_24: You also are correct, there is actually no really noticeable speed difference between the Internal and External Modems.

Thank you Agent_24.

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Agent_24: your instructions say:

"Go to the advanced settings, and make sure your modem is turned on and hit the 'detect' button - some lights should flash on the modem and it should complete the detection without error".

But where are the "Advanced Settings"??? Cannot find any such thing in Gnome ppp.

You also say that after hitting the "Detect" button in "Advanced Settings", that the Username, Password, and ISP phone number should be entered. Entered where, and in what? How is this area navigated to???

Cheers, Agent_24.

Agent_24
26-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Sorry, wasn't very specific

When you load gnome-ppp you will get this:

There you can enter your username, password, and phone number, but it wouldn't likely work because you haven't chosen the modem.

So, you need to press "Settings" which will take you to this:

Once there, you need to click the 'Detect' button. Lights should flash on your modem and it should be detected. Make sure it's turned on and plugged in.

If it detects successfully it may not say anything but the device path will change to the correct name.

If it doesn't work, it will throw up an error message. If that happens, post the error here.

After you've detected the modem, and entered your username etc, you can try connecting. It may or may not work, depending on your ISP, or other reasons.

If it doesn't connect, or has some other problem, post the error\log here. I had a couple of issues when setting mine up and I guess the same may happen to you.

Dragonov
26-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Okay, thank you for the elaboration Agent_24; will have a go at it tomorrow when it will be easier to see when rigging up the Modem.

Dragonov
27-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi Agent_24. Have got to reiterate, where is this "Settings" you are talking about: I cannot find "Settings" anywhere.

The Gnome-ppp panel (where you put your ISP Username, Passwords, and ISP phone number) has only got three buttons on it - "Quit", "Setup", and "Connect". "Connect" is a dead-end. "Setup" has got three configuration panels, but nowhere in it is "Settings" or a "Detect" button. Have looked everywhere and cannot find them at all.

Had a disastrous morning: having failed to find "Settings" and "Detect", decided to mess around with the Tool-Bar and Task-Bar: had coloured them, but the colours would often only partially appear along the Bars after Bootup. So was trying to mess with the colouring, and accidentally deleted the Tool-Bar!!!

Couldn't find a way to reinstate it so had to drag out the XP3 Installation CD, delete Ubuntu, and then reinstall it again. It seemed to take a lot longer to install than it did last time, but was damned frustrated and not exactly falling about the place chortling with merriment!!!

Have been in and out of Ubuntu and Windows like a damn yo-you and have had to switch Modems many times. The External Modem, when used with Windows, has a nasty habit of frequently breaking it's connection - it often breaks several times in the space of only a few minutes. It also once today made that ominous "Stick-On-The-Washboard" noise.

Am starting to think this project has got a Hoodoo on it, like The Ancient Mariner (but did not shoot an albatross!!!). Will probably get Scurvy next!!!

Well Agent_24, am gonna have a break now, will check back here this evening. Cheerio Agent_24.

Agent_24
27-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Agent_24. Have got to reiterate, where is this "Settings" you are talking about: I cannot find "Settings" anywhere.

Sorry, I meant the "Setup" button!

The Gnome-ppp panel (where you put your ISP Username, Passwords, and ISP phone number) has only got three buttons on it - "Quit", "Setup", and "Connect". "Connect" is a dead-end. "Setup" has got three configuration panels, but nowhere in it is "Settings" or a "Detect" button. Have looked everywhere and cannot find them at all.

Right here:

Had a disastrous morning: having failed to find "Settings" and "Detect", decided to mess around with the Tool-Bar and Task-Bar: had coloured them, but the colours would often only partially appear along the Bars after Bootup. So was trying to mess with the colouring, and accidentally deleted the Tool-Bar!!!

You could rebuild it by right-clicking on the other toolbar (actually called a panel) and selecting "New panel"

Then you just need to change its settings so it's in the right place, and re-add the items to it (Right-click -> "Add to panel")

The External Modem, when used with Windows, has a nasty habit of frequently breaking it's connection - it often breaks several times in the space of only a few minutes. It also once today made that ominous "Stick-On-The-Washboard" noise.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the fact that the phone plug was loose in that modem jack?

You could try bending the little clip out from the plug a bit (don't do it too hard\far or it'll snap off) and then try plugging it in.

Unfortunately, without actually being able to hear the noise you describe it's hard to think of what it could be. It might just be the standard noise it makes when it disconnects from the phone line.

Dragonov
27-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Hullo Agent_24, thanks very much for your reply: will rig up the External Modem tomorrow and go back into Linux Ubuntu to hopefully get those configurations nailed. Hey incidentally, Agent_24, you use Screen Snapshots a lot, and am wondering what Snapshot programme you use? There seem to be a lot of them around, and, never having used any before, am wondering what one or ones you would recommend? They look like they would be a very useful kind of programme to have on the Deck.

Cheers for your advice about the "Panels" (Toolbar/Taskbar) - will certainly use your instructions to try and rescue the situation if I do something brainless to them again!!!

The Modem, Agent_24, am completely in the dark: it is very strange how the plug is such a tight fit in the Internal Modem, and locks into it so tenaciously, and yet is a slack fit in the External Modem. Am trying to get another phone line (that short one on TradeMe; the auction closes tonight) so there is one for the Internal Modem and one for the External; might be able to bend the lever up a bit on the External Modem plug as you advise so it gets forced tighter on the contacts, but if the connection breakages keep happening might be able to "wedge" something in there with the plug to try and make it go tightly onto the contacts. There's gotta be a way.

Well Agent_24, better go have a look at that auction, Ciao for now, and apologies for being a bit grumpy earlier, but it aint been a good day from the outset, and the weather was not helping - it's been like a sauna bath - sweltering humidity, and am severely allergic to it.

Agent_24
27-09-2011, 11:23 PM
you use Screen Snapshots a lot, and am wondering what Snapshot programme you use? There seem to be a lot of them around, and, never having used any before, am wondering what one or ones you would recommend? They look like they would be a very useful kind of programme to have on the Deck.

Actually those aren't my screenshots - but you can easily do them yourself (and don't need a separate program at all) - all you need is the "Print Screen" (sometimes PrtScr, and usually also labeled as "SysRq") button on your keyboard.

Pressing it will copy an image of the current display to the clipboard. Then all you need to do is open an image editing program, paste the image in and save it as an image file. You can of course edit it and do whatever you like to it.

In Windows, I paste straight into MSPaint and save from there. XP and below can be done this way most easily. Vista \ Win7 actually come with a screenshot tool, although I usually never use it, as the printscreen button is faster.

Pressing Alt+PrintScreen lets you copy the currently active window instead of the entire screen.

In Ubuntu, the procedure is much the same, although when you press PrintScreen it will automatically ask where you wish to save the image. Thus you can edit it afterwards without having to paste it into a editing program (Although you probably can still do so if you wished)

The Modem, Agent_24, am completely in the dark: it is very strange how the plug is such a tight fit in the Internal Modem, and locks into it so tenaciously, and yet is a slack fit in the External Modem. Am trying to get another phone line (that short one on TradeMe; the auction closes tonight) so there is one for the Internal Modem and one for the External; might be able to bend the lever up a bit on the External Modem plug as you advise so it gets forced tighter on the contacts, but if the connection breakages keep happening might be able to "wedge" something in there with the plug to try and make it go tightly onto the contacts. There's gotta be a way.

Well Agent_24, better go have a look at that auction, Ciao for now, and apologies for being a bit grumpy earlier, but it aint been a good day from the outset, and the weather was not helping - it's been like a sauna bath - sweltering humidity, and am severely allergic to it.

It is really rather odd. Maybe you will get more luck with a different cable. Make sure about jamming stuff in there though you really have got it correct - those spring contacts can be a bit tricky to restore to proper tension if they get bent.

No worries about your previous thread, I certainly do not like that kind of weather either!

Dragonov
28-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Cheers for your reply Agent_24, and thank you for forgiving my bad-temper yesterday (have been back into Ubuntu earlier today and the "Detect" button was straight in front of my face: how on earth it was not able to be seen the other day is something to wonder at because went into that Configuration area several times: as said earlier, Agent_24, could do with a brain-transplant; even one out of a monkey would probably be better!!!).

Got the Modem rigged up (earlier today: your advice about the little lever on the plug was utilised to bend it up, and the result is awesome - total cure, she fits perfectly now and locks into place with a loud "click". No more falling out of plug!!! Brilliant!!!) and pushed "Detect", and then filled out the ISP/Login details Panel, then tried dialling. Lots of lights flashed on the Modem with a lot of bleeping/dial-in bleeps. After a while of this it all suddenly stopped, and the ISP/Details Panel suddenly popped up again and just sat there.

So tried cranking up Firefox, but Foxy could not connect to the Server. Copied the Log, then tried connecting several more times, but they all failed and all have an identical Log as follows:

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT087300111
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT087300111
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.

login:
--> Sending: [edit]@woosh.co.nz
[edit]@woosh.co.nz
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
[7f][03]@![01]I [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]J [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]K [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]L [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]M [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]N [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]O [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]P [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]Q [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty[7f][03]@![01]R [12][01][04][7f]U[03][04]@#[05][06]
[11]Ty
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying...
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER
ATM1L3DT087300111
--> No Carrier! Trying again.
--> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
--> Disconnecting at Thu Sep 29 23:40:12 2011

Hope there is enough info there for you Agent_24 to be able to see what is wrong. Is this like the problem you were having with your Modem?

Thanks for the info about Screenshots Agent_24, gonna try and practice some!!! Saw today in Ubuntu they have got a Screenshot programme in the Ubuntu software. Am knocked-out by the sheer number of groovy Apps Ubuntu has not only got pre-installed, but also the vast number that are available to download as well. Am starting to get the hang a bit of some elements of Ubuntu and am liking very much what is being seen and how nicely intuitively designed a lot of the programmes are. Am craving to get online!!!

Good on ya, Agent_24, it is damn good to be able to have you as an adviser: I need your Brainpower!!!

Ciao, Agent_24.

Agent_24
28-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Well it looks like you're most of the way there. Actually your error is a bit different to mine, but I would try first what I had to do to get it working on mine:

Gnome-ppp -> Setup -> Options tab -> check the box on "Ignore terminal strings (Stupid mode)"

Also check if there is a tick next to "Check carrier line" - if so, maybe try un-ticking it.

Dragonov
29-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Gooday Agent_24, thank you for your Post: am gonna go back into Ubuntu soon, been unhappily rigging up an ancient printer that I imbecilically got on TradeMe!!! TradeMe is a graveyard for Dolts like me!!!

Ciao, Agent_24, time to yet again give myself another savage kicking!!! (it made the seller extremely happy though, as the seller would not, in their wildest pecuniary dreams, have suspected that anyone would actually pay them anything for an obsolete printer like that. But then I came bowling gormlessly along!!!).

Dragonov
29-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Apologies, Agent_24, for the long, narrow, "stringy" post (that has got the Modem readout in it): something went atrociously wrong when trying to "place" it, and two versions of the same post ended up being on this (new) page: the long, narrow (bad) one was at the top of the page, but underneath it was a far better, far easier to read version as per it's layout.

Wrote to Jen and asked her to remove the bad one, but the good one got removed!!! On Jen's computer, the "stringy" post does not appear to look the same as it does on my fossilized relic, so maybe it might look different to you also, Agent_24???

Das Vadanya, Agent_24.

Agent_24
29-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I think the post layout has something to do with the advertising scripts - Each first post on a new page gets an ad stuck in it that will shift it over to the left. Sometimes this happens even if you block the ads. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dragonov
29-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Agent_24: so does that post look okay on your computer?

Certainly hope so, as do not want to make anything (by way of questioning) any more difficult for you than is necessitated by a combination of the limitations of my writing ability, the technological complexity of the issues that are being examined, and my nearly total absence of a functioning brain!!!.

Was trying to tell Jen that our "talks", Agent_24, could be useful for other Newbies like me to read: people have got a myriad of different "programmings" inbuilt into them, and are immensely variable in how they absorb and process information: a writer who perfectly explains something to one person will be incomprehensible to someone else.

The foregoing statement is an extreme one, but also is accurate, because the spectrum of Humanoid Consciousness appears to actually be infinite because of the way it "Feedback Loops" itself and generates new information out of the continuous processing of existing information!!!

Agent_24, do you know about the Aussie "Atomic Magazine" dudes???

You would like them: they are Uber-Geeks but good dudes, here is a link to their Website:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/

By "link" is meant a copy-and-paste of their Website URL!!!

Cheers Agent_24, gonna switch over to Linux Ubuntu now (Linus Torvaald's For President Of The Cosmos!!!) and try and crank the External Modem and Linux Ubuntu Firefox into a connection with the Web.

Thank you very much again, Agent_24, the generous provision of your knowhow to I.T. beginners like me is absolutely invaluable, and equally appreciated.

Numero Gracius Agent_24.

Dragonov
30-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Hullo Agent_24, am back from another (failed) foray to get Ubuntu Firefox online: repeatedly tried to Dial-Up (in Stupid Mode) with Carrier Line switched both "On" and "Off". Here is a Log pritout with the Carrier Line switched "On":

--> Cannot set information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT087300111
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.

login:
--> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.
--> Disconnecting at Fri Sep 30 12:24:14 2011

The I repeatedly tried to dial with the Carrier Line switched "Off" as per the following Log:

--> Cannot set information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
ATZ
OK
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT087300111
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.

login:
--> Timed out while dialing. Trying again.
--> Disconnecting at Fri Sep 30 12:27:37 2011

This thing is like those Russian soldiers in the Grain Elevator at Stalingrad: it is never gonna stop fighting!!!

Cheers Agent_24.

PS: about that "stringy" post, - you mentioned that NZ PC World puts ads in/around the posts(???). Well, I have got a whole array of protective Add-On's in Firefox, and they include a very powerful advertisement and popup blocker called "Adblock Plus". Also have got "The Ghostery" and "Redirect Remover".

Agent_24
30-09-2011, 01:35 PM
It seems that in all the to-ing and fro-ing I forgot an important piece of the puzzle: you need to add yourself (your user account in Ubuntu) to certain usergroups to enable yourself to run pppd.

In the top panel on the left go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Users and Groups"

Highlight your user name in the list, and click Properties.

On the User Privileges Tab tick 'Connect to Internet using a Modem' which adds you to the dip group and 'Use Modems' which adds you to the dialout group. Neither act immediately and you need to restart Ubuntu or logout and back in as the same user.

(http://www.pcurtis.com/ubuntu-mobile.htm#dip_dialout)

By the way, even when you block the ads it seems that sometimes the post-width stays narrowed. I don't know why. Guess it's just something one has to put up with!

Dragonov
30-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Thank you Agent_24, will rig the External Modem up again in the morning and try out what you recommend.

Yeah, stuff like Add-Ons, (such as NoScript!!!) and forgetting to "clear" "Clear Recent History" regularly in Firefox can have a huge effect on Web browsing. On some websites, such as CNET I have to disable NoScript before anything can be downloaded. This is not much fun, as it is like removing the Reactive Armour from a T-90 Tank!!!

Agent_24
30-09-2011, 11:22 PM
That's funny.. I just tested cnet.com and it popped up the Firefox download dialog with NoScript running and blocking everything on the page.

However, if you do need to allow anything, you should only need to allow cnet.com without needing to unblock everything. Seems odd you'd have to disable it completely.

By the way, I love NoScript too, on most sites these days, even the legit ones, there is so much completely unnecessary background junk.

Dragonov
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Very good to "see" you again, Agent_24: have been completely out of action again due to severe computer instability (have had to do several XP3 reinstallations yet again) - need a far better computer, as the present one is basically a heap of obsolete junk!!!

Agent_24, I cannot download anything from CNET (and also some other good "download" Websites too) without disabling NoScript.

Disabling NoScript gives me the creeps as having NoScript is like having heavy armour-plating on your Browser!!! Having NoScript is like being in a Russian JS3 tank, and being without NoSript is like being in an American Sherman tank!!!

Cheerio and Thank You, Agent_24.

Agent_24
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Why do you keep reinstalling Windows?

Your computer is a bit old but not terrible, for running XP it would be fine. If there are big problems causing you to have to reinstall I would look at a fault with it rather than the age of it.

Dragonov
03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi Agent_24: am deeply suspicious of the condition of the DVD player: it often does not "read" music CD's properly, and tends to erratically "jump" on the music tracks from time to time. Also, it tends not to "jump" in the same places and instead is wildly variable.

For a long time thought the Hard-Drive was the culprit as per OS installation instability, (the Hard-Drive is often very noisy) but now more and more am thinking it is the DVD player laser not being able to "read" the XP3 installation CD accurately. Have been having terrible trouble trying to get a stable XP OS installed.

Cheers Agent_24.

Agent_24
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
CD\DVD drives do go bad, sometimes due to a dirty lens, but I think most of the time it's more likely a fault with the laser itself, or other electrical part, rather than dust.

A noisy hard drive does not guarantee a fault, unless the hard drive has recently started to make noises it did not make before. Some drives (especially old ones) can be pretty noisy when the heads are seeking.

Sometimes it's useful to check the SMART status of the drive, for high counts of reallocated sectors and other things.

Ubuntu actually comes with a tool called "Disk Utility" which can be used to view the SMART data, and a program which I use in Windows called "SpeedFan" is also very useful.

I would also try running a memory check if you haven't already, in Grub (where you select between Ubuntu\Windows at boot-time) there is also an option to run Memtest.

Dragonov
07-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Sincere apologies for the long delay in replying, Agent_24, have been knocked out from the "Lurg" again, and also there has been a veritable deluge of other stuff to have to deal with as well; have been too preoccupied to be able to do much Webwise. Existence can be excruciatingly exhausting (Damned landlord is demanding work to be done around the place as well Dammit!)!!!

Well, so am now in the process of "reorienting" back into the Tech stuff!!! Am just leaving this message for you Agent_24 so you know I haven't been kidnapped by a flying saucer or something! Have to go do some more stuff now, but hope to be able to check back in here on a regular basis from now on.

Thank you Agent_24, Cheerio.