PDA

View Full Version : 3Dlabs video card/ Philips monitor problems

13-10-2001, 07:14 PM
PC Direct PII 266 -win95 New approx Apr-98.
3Dlab permedia 2 video card Philips 105B monitor.
PC ha new power supply fitted by service person. they returned the PC stating that they didn't have the correct video driver - I had original install software etc plus I've tried the updated drivers etc.
problem - whenever I install teh 3Dlabs pemedia video card driver - teh PC won't boot - gets to loading windows device drivers, creen goes blank and PC dies. i have tried every sequence of loading drivers/ Philips.inf

result it will only display with 480*640

Trying to fix for a POOR student daughter - This PC has been a pain in ?? - been back to it's maker many times - always seemed to come back worse for wear - always with the display at 480*640 - normally by hacking around i can get 800*600 but not this time.
It is now standard vga video and monitor. This shows a conflict with PCI to PCI bridge - haven't a clue?? no time to educate myself further - I did some searching on Net but hoping someone could give me a quick answer. I managed to get a 800*600 display since the power supply was replaced but did something stupid needed to reinstall windows etc,etc
I am willing to get a new video card but afraid i my be wasting money - maybe i'm just doing something stupid (I hope) :-) Any help gratefully received

13-10-2001, 07:31 PM
Try the Net to get the latest video driver. Driverguide is a good site. Then before installing the new driver make sure the video card and the monitor are set to Standard VGA.
Good luck

14-10-2001, 12:43 AM
Hi Shirley, You could visit the following site & download the drivers that came with your pc www.pcdirect.co.nz

or for video ftp://ftp.pcdirect.co.nz/PCDirect/Video/

these worked ok on my p2-233 pc direct discovery 690 with same hardware as yours
cheers steve

14-10-2001, 12:25 PM
Hi
I have the same computer from PC Direct and I have the PC Direct Driver CD which I can lend to you if you still need it

14-10-2001, 01:57 PM
You have to do more than just install the drivers to get the display right.

First of all, you haven't got the drivers installed if it says 'standard monitor' 'standard video display'

I'm not sure for Win95 its been awhile so I stand to be corrected. Right click your desktop/properties/settings/advanced etc. from your account you know how to do this already change the monitor type. Search the list for your monitor, which may not be in Win95 because of its age. In which case you need to download the driver if you don't already have it on disk, or use standard super VGA for now.

Now go to the Adapter tab and change that to the correct one as well, if it's not listed there's probably a have disk selection etc.

Reboot, hopefully it does now, probably looks terrible (that's ok)

Now you can go back to properties and set things right. Make sure your drivers are there, then set your screen to 800x600, probably requires reboot again.

Go back now to settings again (probably flickery screen)
Set adapter to 'optimal' setting if available or 75hz or higher if available, reboot probably required again.

See its easy.

Come back with new posting if still stuck.

17-10-2001, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info - I have already downloaded every version and tried every version of the driver I can find. I also swapped monitors. I tried with card and monitor set to various combinations. But I'll try again - who knows PCs????
Ta for your help

17-10-2001, 09:45 PM
Thanks for suggestion - I already downloaded those drivers no joy :-(

17-10-2001, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the kind offer but I already have my original - just can't get to work :-(

17-10-2001, 10:06 PM
THanks for reply - really appreciated- sadly I think I've tried all that already - I even tried with a different monitor - I have the right moniter selected. That's why I thought it must be the video card. I'll try again when time out from real work allows.
Thank again
PS Am I supposed to post with thank you ?? I'm new to posting.