View Full Version : recover word

NZHawk
02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
student
work was on a flash drive
lost the flash drive
worked on Windows 7 computer
word 2010
is there anyway to retrieve any of the data from the computer?
I already looked in *.tmp but didn't find anything that resembled his assignments

wainuitech
02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Doubt it, as the backups will be on the same flash drive. Word 2010 does auto backups, but

To Quote MS:
To find the backup copy of the file, follow these steps:

1. Locate the folder in which you last saved the missing file.
2. Search for files with the .wbk file name extension.

Edited:
Try looking in C:\Users\Users Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\

Thats the default location for words Auto recover

NZHawk
02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Thank you

Billy T
02-09-2011, 09:19 PM
A year or so back I had the misfortune to crash a major report and lost about three or four pages of technical data and quasi-legal argument. For whatever reason, Word had not auto-saved and the thought of trying to recreate it all gave me the willies, but deep searching of my Data drive produced nothing of use, so I had to dig deeper.

On a number of occasions I have commented here about the versatility and uses of ZTree, which is the 32-bit/long file name modern version (complete rewrite but duplicating the look and feel of the original) of the old DOS 16-bit XTree Gold file manager. In this instance I initiated an all files *.* search for a specific two-word phrase that I knew was in the lost pages and although my data was all on a separate D drive, I searched C as well. As expected I found nothing on D, but on the C drive I found a number of file fragments in tmp and other files (you can read the content of any file at all as plain text on ZTree) and going by file size I picked the most likely one and got just about 100% of the lost data back. From memory I copied and pasted into a text document and used 'find and replace' to get rid of various symbols etc but I recreated my document in just a few hours and saved myself days ot work.

Depending on how much use the computer has had since the file was written, there is a very good chance that at least some of his data will be recoverable, so long as Ccleaner or its ilk have not been run.

Ztree is a free download with a nag facility that fires up after a few months if you don't register it via a low contribution to development costs. It is pretty arcane to use and it is all keyboarding just like DOS (no mouse) however it is the closest thing you can get to a forensic search, and if the data is important, it is worth a try.

Ztree is also magic for finding saved files that Windows search can't locate and it shows you the full path to the file, wherever that might be.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

waldok
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
student
work was on a flash drive
lost the flash drive
worked on Windows 7 computer
word 2010
is there anyway to retrieve any of the data from the computer?
I already looked in *.tmp but didn't find anything that resembled his assignments

In Word 2010 under File / Recent at the bottom there is an option to Recover Unsaved Documents. It's meant more for the times when you accidentally quit without saving, but it's worth having a look there just in case.

cheers
W

wainuitech
03-09-2011, 10:29 AM
INFO 4 Billy --- re read the original post:) -- the documents were on a flash drive, not on the actual PC, so any temp files etc are more than likely on the flash drive.

Bit of a dangerous way to keep them really, esp if there are no backups someplace else.

Billy T
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't need to reread the original post WT, once is enough.

I lost a file on my Data drive, but retrieved almost all of the file content from files found on my C drive, a completely separate disk.

It makes no difference whether it was a removable drive or whatever, and I could have taken out the D drive and dumped it down the dunny yet still recovered the bulk of my work as it was all on C in several files each containing slightly different content but collectively 99% of the original document. ZTree found them all via a word search, and that was not the first time it had saved my bacon, yet it found nothing on D.

It has worked for me more than once, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at any option that might find data I had lost. As I said, there were multiple fragments most of which were substantial in size. There is no practical difference between a removable drive and a non-removable drive, and I could have taken my D out and dumped it down the dunny, but I'd still have recovered the data that was hiding on C. The only snag is that they were not conventional WP files and only an 'all-files' word search could dig them out, and for that, ZTree came up trumps, and it is very fast.

I have also pulled back other data using the same method when all other options failed. In one case I got a file that was devoid of spaces etc and was hell to re-edit, but the intellectual input was safe, and that was all that mattered.

I know of no file type that Ztree can't open, display and edit, so I wouldn't turn my back on any option that might recover lost data. I have even been able to edit explanatory text in executables.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
If it finds it then fine, but I wouldn't go counting on it every time.

Just did a test - had a clean up today, and I know where certain word documents were - didn't find a trace of a few of them,(most to be honest).

Edited: mind you the PC has had Ccleaner run through it afterwards.

mikebartnz
04-09-2011, 11:30 AM
On a number of occasions I have commented here about the versatility and uses of ZTree,
For searching you can't go past WinGrep (http://www.wingrep.com/).

Billy T
04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
For searching you can't go past WinGrep (http://www.wingrep.com/).

Sounds like an even better option than ZTree, and probably much easier to use, but does it allow further refining of search results and file editing as well? I assume that it will.

ZTree allows searching and result refining by changing the result order by alpha or file date etc and quite a few other parameters as well which can be handy.

My most common use of ZTree is to find the answer to the perennial question: "Now where the hell did I save that file?" This is especially useful when the file has been dumped in a location totally divorced from any relevance to the file content.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)