PDA

View Full Version : Migration from OOo to LO?

tuiruru
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi

Has anybody here migrated from OpenOffice to Libre Office? I've read some “write ups” but I'd liketo hear what the experience has been like. Does it entail yet anotherlearning curve? Are the forums any good? Is it worth it (I'mcurrently on OOo 3.1.1)?

Thanks.

wratterus
02-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Exactly the same at this stage afaik.

wainuitech
02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Exactly the same at this stage afaik. Haven't done it a lot, but there was a customers drive that was badly corrupted, and I have LO on a workshop PC, there were certain documents she wanted me to locate recover and make sure they opened OK -- She had OOo 3.something, and they opened fine.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah its basically same diff mostly.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreoffice

First line on the page sums it up, and then again the first line under History --> Initial release.

tuiruru
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks Wain and Chill

I know that LO is a spin off from OOo and as such are pretty similar at this stage. The consensus at this stage seems to be that LO is developing faster 'cos OO is getiing heldup/falling behind because of the integration into Apache.

I haven't upgraded OO for ages and although it's generally been OK I've hit a few snags lately. I find the process of printing a mailmerge of names and adressess onto Avery labelsfor a mailout to be quite quirky (erratic even), and I've had to do some sorting on an Excel spreadsheet (produced in M$Office and saved in 97/XP/2003 format (or whatever)) where the colour coding of the info and other formatting has to be stripped out for the sorting to take place - so generally a bloody nuisance. Would those two things be easier to do in a later version of OO? I don't know, so I'm left with the problem of upgrading or switching - both of which would involve, what for me, are large downloads.

Then there's the not knowing how similar the "bread and butter" things are as far as how you do them is concerned eg copying a set of formulae down, and then "bridging the gap" when extra rows are inserted (Excel and OO handle those things differently.

I want different margins in different sections of a long document, tables, footnotes....... you get my drift.

How much divergence will there be between the two. Some PDF to Word converters/Manipulators would only work if you had M$Word installed (I've got one that is supposed to work on OO as well).......All questions where only time will give us the answer I guess.

I wonder what happened to that bloke that was on PCW Chat a while back fielding feedback on OOo and which way he's jumping?

"Everything flows, nothing stands still. Nothing endures but change." http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus

Snorkbox
02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
You want to see Yorick I presume.

Morgenmuffel
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks Wain and Chill

I know that LO is a spin off from OOo and as such are pretty similar at this stage. The consensus at this stage seems to be that LO is developing faster 'cos OO is getiing heldup/falling behind because of the integration into Apache.

Apache? I know it is dependant on java which oracle now owns (sort of) but Apache is a web server, which has zip to do with OO.

tuiruru
02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
"In 2009, Oracle announced it would be acquiring Sun, and many wondered what would become of OpenOffice.org. When Oracle proved to be less than willing to share its plans for the product, a number of OpenOffice.org community members opted to fork the OpenOffice.org code. In November 2010, they created LibreOffice, to be managed by a new German non-profit called The Document Foundation.

A few months later, Oracle opted to donate the OpenOffice.org project to the Apache Software Foundation, which today maintains OpenOffice.org as a so-called podling project until OpenOffice.org completes the migration process to become fully integrated within the Apache organization.

The Growth of LibreOffice

In the 10 months since LibreOffice split off from OpenOffice.org, the new office suite has maintained a more rapid release cycle than the old 18-month cycle maintained by Sun and Oracle. It is not clear how rapidly OpenOffice.org will update as the suite moves forward within the Apache system, but it’s a fair bet that the development cycle will speed up."

From HERE (http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/libreoffice-vs-openoffice-org-showdown-for-best-open-source-office-suite/)

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Apache hosts a whole lot of projects including the recently defunct Google Wave as part of their "Incubator" projects system.

tuiruru
02-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Apache hosts a whole lot of projects including the recently defunct Google Wave as part of their "Incubator" projects system.

Thereby trying to hatch the Golden Egg!!