PDA

View Full Version : Laptop will not connect to my wireless network.

Aspi
02-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi Friends,
I have just bought (shipped) a new Dell XPS Laptop. It has the latest Windows 7 operation system. Everything works well, however when I try to connect to my wireless network the system tries to connect but after trying for a few seconds I get a message saying 'Could not connect to .....Network' . Now to explain in details I also have a Dell Insprion 1720 which is like 4 years old and I have been using the same router (Belkin N) to connect wirelessly and from day one it has never failed once. With my new Laptop I have tried to connect to the net by using the ADSL wire directly and there is no problem I can surf the net with excellent speed. It is only not getting connected wirelessly.
I have tried to manuallly connect to the netwrok by entering the WEP key etc but nothing works. I even put both laptops side by side with the old one connected wirelessly and new one connected with the wire, compared all settings of the Adaptor Card of both machines and there are no major differences. The new machine has a Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 with Bluetooth v3.0+HS and the old machine (runs on Windows Vista) has an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band.
Can someone please let me know why the new one is being so difficult..?? What am I doing wrong..??
Thank you all for reading.
Anxiously awaiting your responses.
Aspi.

smurf
02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Does your laptop have a wireless switch and have you checked that it is on ?

SP8's
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
What browser are you using ??

Safari
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Are you using the Dell wireless utility or the Windows wireless configuration.
If using the Dell one disable it and use the windows one. It is not called Wireless zero config in Win 7 but called WLAN
Open the Dell Utility and uncheck the box at the top that says "Let this tool manage your wireless networks"
Start WLAN in Win7
http://www.corenetworkz.com/2010/07/how-to-start-wlan-autoconfig-in-windows.html

Nomad
02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Restart computer may help.
Maybe open the window and choose your wifi and connect again sometimes help.

Does new wifi cards support WEP :confused:

Aspi
02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi Safari,
Thanks for that, will try thi sout once I'm back home at my Laptop. Shall keep you informed.
Regards.

CYaBro
02-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Start by turning off all security (WEP,WPA &WPA2) on the router and see if it will connect then.
If it does try it with WPA.
I've found a lot of newer laptop don't like WPA2 on some routers.

wainuitech
03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Safari's answer is the far better one.

There have been countless times the manufactures wireless configuration utility causes problems, then by changing the the Windows one it works perfectly.

If you cant find the setting in the Manufactures one, you can also open the network connections, ( click start, type in network - open Network and sharing - on left, change adaptor settings) right click the Wireless - ( middle tab - from memory) tick the box Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings ( words to that effect) The connections will appear in the notification Area, select your network and enter its password when prompted.

Aspi
04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Safari,
I tried what you asked me to do but it still won't connect. However I could not find Dell Utility to uncheck the box that says "Let this tool manage your wireless networks"
Can you please tell me where to find this in Windows 7.
Regards.

Safari
04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Safari,
I tried what you asked me to do but it still won't connect. However I could not find Dell Utility to uncheck the box that says "Let this tool manage your wireless networks"
Can you please tell me where to find this in Windows 7.
Regards.

Have a look at the post from Wainuitech

Aspi
04-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Hi again,
Sorry but I could not find the 'change adaptor settings' as mentioned by wainuitech hence cannot proceed. Sorry for being a pain but I'm really upset that I cannot connect to the net wirelessly since the last three days even though I can see my network and have put in the correct PSK code and my old laptop has no problems at all.
Regards.

Safari
04-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Start/control panel
In the top right select View By- small icons
Double click Network and Sharing centre
Select Change Adapter Settings on the left

Aspi
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Hello and Thank You all,
The probblem has been resolved. My router had to be restored to factory settings and all is good after then.
Regards to all for your help.
Aspi.

Aspi
12-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Thank you all,
Problem resolved, router had to be restored to factory settings.
Regards to all.