PDA

View Full Version : 6 months with broken internet and I’m told “Go to someone else”?

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Yep it's happened, I've been told my issues are in the "too hard basket" and that I should "switch to Xtra or Orcon, make it their issue, then when they've sorted it switch back". Yeah right, ya dreaming!

Anyways for those who've been following, I whipped up a quick blog post:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/6-months-with-broken-internet-and-im-told-go-to-someone-else/

Man I'm furious ....

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Uh oh
HD is going to get full Chill fury.
Thought you were not having any issues with them?

Edit: Hmm reading your blog post it said orcon.
Have I got someone mixed up with you?

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Orcons who they currently wholesale from.

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Oh so it is HD.
*Confused*
Arh think I need to stop reading pressf1 posts after 10:30

So they passing the buck saying its not them?

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Pretty much :(

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I would not want to be on your bad side.
The owner (Ben) has been banned from Geekzone and GP for being rather rude, and there is a thread about HD on GP somewhere.
People were saying that they hoped that he ran his company better but it does not look like he does.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes but to be fair, Mauricio is pretty damn controlling and bans people left, right & center as soon as they disagree with him. He started trying to troll me on Google+ the first day he got an invite...

I was *really* hoping things were better with HD after the failed launch on GPForums ... Really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, and have been a customer for almost a year now. Put up with this crap for just shy of 6 months now, so I'm over it. I moved house on the 14th of March. That's fair time I thought, especially considering with the TDR they expect you to give your ISP 6 weeks to deal with things. I did that and then some! Gave them plenty of chances, told them time and time again I was going to go public with the case, I'm just finally over it all.

EDIT: I don't even care that my speeds are insanely crap. Thats the fault of me being so far from the exchange and so because my attenuation is at 56, I sync around 1400kbps. That's not HD's fault, they've always provided me with 'max line speed'. It's the constant disconnections that drive me up the freaking wall. I get home from work, I wanna relax, jump on Facebook, check my emails, maybe go conquer some middle earth in LOTRO, maybe make a few phone calls (VoIP / SIP line with 2talk). Can't do any of that coz it always drops off. Every day. Without fail. They just don't wanna do anything about it. It was Ben who suggested I leave.

EDIT 2: On a positive note, my Eee Transformer arrived from Amazon today. I'm *highly* impressed with it, so overall today hasn't been too bad ;)

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Well im far away from my exchange too, but I am about 100-150m from my cabinet.
OH!!! Ben said that.
The times I have bought things from trademe and gone to pick them up I just dont have a good feeling when talking to him direct, I really dont know how to describe it.

goodiesguy
02-09-2011, 12:45 AM
All i can think of is...Go to Fair Go!! they seem to get up the a$$'s of companies and sort them out.

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:48 AM
haha i can just see ben being interviewed by them

Ninjabear
02-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Yes but to be fair, Mauricio is pretty damn controlling and bans people left, right & center as soon as they disagree with him. He started trying to troll me on Google+ the first day he got an invite...

He banned me from the site a year or 2 ago.lol
I've never seen such an in compassionate person in my life.
He likes to ban people when you disagree to his views or makes negative feedback about a company.
So if he says yes i love XXX and you say you hate XXXX be prepared to be banned.

I'm pretty sure you can escalate your internet issues to the CEO , radio or tribunal or some sort?
I know I worked for a company and whenever people see the issues are being raised to the CEO of our company we tend to act quickly not that we don't do anything if it's not escalated to the CEO of course but gives them a feeling that you meant business

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Ben is the CEO.
If he should be called that.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah he basically is the Big Cheese there, there is no higher up. He's known about the issues for around 5 months now.

They're also not members of TDR ...

Agree about fretaism, its such a bad dictatorship over there, which is why I never go there and stick with PF2. I've been tempted on a number of occasions to call him out too, he covers up so much and twists everything. But maybe another day.

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 01:02 AM
PF2?

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Should be PF1 but I'm lying in before posting from my phone while Mrs Chill tries to get to sleep ;-)

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
oh thought it might be something like that

pctek
02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Who is HD?

And as you had OK from Orcon and then it went to ****, yeah - why don't you change providers again?

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
I am. Already signed up elsewhere now, but won't be going back. Orcon was OK at my last house, not my current one. Unsure what they'll be like here.

Cicero
02-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I note the 32 gig unit (Transformer) is 999 at DSE, what was price ex Amazon.

Why would you put weith that for 6 months, I would have moved at any cost.

prefect
02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
How is the neigbours internet?. I had massive disconnection issues it was like very 5 minutes at one stage. Turned out to be copper pair earthing out in the ground. When I asked the neigbs they had the same problem even though they were with another isp.

inphinity
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Who is HD?

Wondering that myself...

Zara Baxter
02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
In defence of Mauricio, the cost of liability insurance against defamation means that he has to be incredibly careful about monitoring his forums. I know why he handles his forums that way, and I think it is entirely justified given his exposure.

Please stick to the topic, rather than discussing Mauricio's forum handling.

Zara Baxter
02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Yep it's happened, I've been told my issues are in the "too hard basket" and that I should "switch to Xtra or Orcon, make it their issue, then when they've sorted it switch back". Yeah right, ya dreaming!

Anyways for those who've been following, I whipped up a quick blog post:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/6-months-with-broken-internet-and-im-told-go-to-someone-else/

Man I'm furious ....

Wanna be a case study for the mag?

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 09:12 AM
HD is Hosting Direct.
Ben (the CEO) is the one that told chill to go to another ISP.
And as I said he has been banned from both GP and Geekzone for his attitude.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Neighbours has been fine this whole time, I went over and met them about 3-4 weeks after and checked things out and had a chat with them.

I put up with it because of the promise of it being fixed. That and I was supposed to have been moved to the cabinet that was installed around 7-8 weeks ago.

Transformer was USD$375+60 for the mail forwarding shipping.PBtech have it Nzd$99+GST but WITH the keyboard dock.

Freedom of expression is a human right here in NZ under the Bill of Rights Act 1990, that and if he says "this is the best" if you think that something else is better, then consider your account banned and deleted. He's as slimy as they come.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Wanna be a case study for the mag?

Absolutely, you have my full cooperation :D

Cicero
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Absolutely, you have my full cooperation :D

A lesson is needed here, stick to your guns lad.

You are in the right.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the sentiments :)

8ftmetalhaed
02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
How much was it to get your friend to redo your wiring? I sure as hell would love to fix my disconnection issues, they can go from unnoticable, disconnecting and reconnecting every maybe day or two for a couple of minutes if that, to being absolutely hair raisingly annoying.

The other day they got bad again, dropping the connection multiple times and not picking it back up, had to restart the router, unplug the phone cable, leave it, reconnect it, then reboot the router another few times for good measure, only to have it lose ADSL sync 3 times consecutively.
ATM my online time says just under 2h so I imagine it disconnected around 6 this morning, but that's ok with me.
It's when it drops off during the middle of games/other sessions that I get pissed, especially when it doesn't reconnect for ages.
Normally I just get a page or so of 'starting to connect'

And I've done everything that orcon said, minus checking my wiring. Being in a rental, doing that's hard.
But I tried a different router. The one you recommended me, chill (netcomm one), i also bought an ethernet cable to stick the router directly near the phone point in mum's cupboard, then replaced the filter and the rj11 cable too.
Phone seems fine, AFAIK.

I'm syncing at 15mbps or so too, and my sister down the road n round the corner (like, 100m?) is on orcon genius fine.

And I would get them to come check it but the fee of $120 has always put me off. Apparently they waive that now, only making you pay for repairs to the property, everything else is done free. But even then I fear it'll be too pricey.

(edit - off to uni for an exam or two first tho)

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
You can pay your Telcom the wiring & maintenance monthly fee (Usually around $4) then have them come out and suss it out.

It wasn't much, it was mates-rates, but I would *strongly* recommend it. My mate did a top-notch job of wiring up the house, CAT6 from my patch panel to each room... It's marvellous! I should try and jump under the house and take some photos, he did a damn fine job!!

wratterus
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
The Telecom wiring charge only covers work up to the demarc point though, and if you get them out and there's no problem, they'll sting you, around $180 is it?

... My mate did a top-notch job of wiring up the house, CAT6 from my patch panel to each room... It's marvellous! I should try and jump under the house and take some photos, he did a damn fine job!!

I have always wanted to do that, such an effort though! I need a mate like yours... :p

nedkelly
02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
When we renovated our house I wired up the entire place with my dad using Cat5e.
One of the best things to do.
I would recommend anyone doing renovations or building new to do it, saves so much hassle later on.
I have a picture of my patch panel too somewhere let me see if I uploaded it.

EDIT: Found it. https://picasaweb.google.com/107939137116518327234/TechStuff#5594251312498989906

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Ran through some call logs. I figure I made over 150 calls to HD about the issue. That's being conservative too, as some calls I made from different numbers that I don't have logging on and they're not included in that 150.

pctek
02-09-2011, 05:24 PM
The Telecom wiring charge only covers work up to the demarc point though, and if you get them out and there's no problem, they'll sting you, around $180 is it?

Wiring Maintenance

Wiring within your home can experience wear and tear over time, and from time to time it may need repairing. To do this, you'll need someone to come and fix your wiring, such as an electrician or Telecom technician. With our wiring maintenance service you pay a small monthly fee and if something goes wrong with your internal wiring or sockets we will cover the cost of repairs (parts and labour).
Please note: that at this time RJ45 sockets are excluded from the Telecom Wiring Maintenance service.

It is an optional service, so you can choose:

to have Telecom Wiring Maintenance service at a cost of $3.17 per month (this appears on your monthly bill as "Wire Maintenance Contract"),

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
If the disconnections happen every single day, and always between certain times I would be looking into the possibility of some scheduled ...'thing'.. happening and causing the problem.

I recall a 'Serviceman' story I read in EA some years ago. Unfortunately I have no idea which issue so I can't even begin to try to find it. The facts aren't going to be the same, but the story, IIRC, basically went like this:

Someone's TV reception would go to pieces at night without fail on a regular basis. Of course the TV worked perfectly in the workshop with no issues whatsoever. Eventually the technician went to the premises and watched as the TV picture turned to custard for no apparent reason.

In the end the fault was traced back to:
1) dried out filter capacitors in the TV
2) a truckload of EMI on the mains from an industrial machine across the street that would come on at night on a regular basis.

I believe the problem was solved with replaced capacitors and the addition of an EMI filter to the TV's power socket.

Sounds far-fetched but apparently it was true (as long as I've remembered it correctly!) Hopefully I'll come across it again some day and find out.

I think there was also a similar story that involved a cheap washing-machine with bad EMI suppression.

pine-o-cleen
02-09-2011, 06:41 PM
It's too late now, but you could have tried this:

http://www.tdr.org.nz/

PPp
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Chill I was just thinking of a similar problem I had many years ago. I got good service then.The techs could not find the problem, and in the end got a large truck in with all sorts of equipment. Apparently they hooked up the phone lines,ran their electronics and were able to locate the problem within a few centimeters on a 300 meter line. Turns out the line had been hit by lightning and basically fried the cable into tiny fragments for a short length, this still conducted a signal(mostly) but every time a vehicle passed close by the vibrations would juggle the particles. You can guess the results!! This was when I was on dailup, I would surmise the problem would have a greater effect on broadband. This could be a possible cause of your problem??

Ninjabear
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Wiring Maintenance

Wiring within your home can experience wear and tear over time, and from time to time it may need repairing. To do this, you'll need someone to come and fix your wiring, such as an electrician or Telecom technician. With our wiring maintenance service you pay a small monthly fee and if something goes wrong with your internal wiring or sockets we will cover the cost of repairs (parts and labour).
Please note: that at this time RJ45 sockets are excluded from the Telecom Wiring Maintenance service.

It is an optional service, so you can choose:

to have Telecom Wiring Maintenance service at a cost of $3.17 per month (this appears on your monthly bill as "Wire Maintenance Contract"),

I think for wiring maintenance . It is the customer who pays for the charges if there are internal wiring within the house/sockets

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
They're not a member of TDR unfortunately.

PPp, yeah they found some similar things to that when I rang myself and got two techs to come out as part of a "line fault". I basically lied and told them my phone was static-ey. They re-did the joints at the grey pipe at the end of the drive, at the exchange and at the consolidation cabinet down the road. It improved things by around 200kbps. Still didn't resolve the issue though.
They've monitored my line on 5 different occasions, twice over the weekend coz the retards wouldn't listen to me when I told them it was mostly during the weeknights, and 3x for over 48 hours on weeknights. Not once have they been able to tell me what they found, other than that they can confirm I have a fault. You think!?!

Edit: Agent_24,
I'd wondered that too, if it was something similar, but it's just odd my neighbours are perfectly fine and we split off the end of our shared driveway...

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Maybe your wiring is exactly the right length to pick up some kind of interference and cause problems for you but nobody else.

Interesting story PPp had too...

If you can get your hands on one of those ADSL testers the techs have, or some kind of spectrum analyzer, you could see if it shows anything during the usual disconnection time - but good luck borrowing one...

mikebartnz
02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
That's $38.04 a year. A very good money spinner for them.

mikebartnz
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I think for wiring maintenance . It is the customer who pays for the charges if there are internal wiring within the house/sockets
You obviously have a reading problem because pctek quoted the relevant section.

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
That's $38.04 a year. A very good money spinner for them.

Perhaps, but if you make even just ONE callout per year you've saved money (because without it each callout costs more than $38, plus the hourly rate, etc)

Burnzee
02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi Chilling Silence

Have read your tale of woe and wonder are you aware of the article in the popular electronics magazine - Silicon Chip - May 2011 issue. The guts of the article illustrates how very slow broadband speeds can sometimes be caused by incorrect phone line polarity!! Don't know one way or another but hey, thought I would make you aware of the article.

The article goes on to how to build a Phone Line Polarity Checker. It is basically just resistors and Leds. Be worth you building it and checking. You might not be able to buy a copy now but I'm sure your local library will be able to help.

Hope this helps ...

BURNZEE

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I can scan and send a copy of that article, although slow speeds and disconnections every night at 7PM are a bit different.

Oh wait, no I can't, or we'll both get fined.

Guess you'll just have to put up with a useless Internet connection!

Burnzee
02-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi Guys

I can scan and send a copy of that article, although slow speeds and disconnections every night at 7PM are a bit different.
Oh wait, no I can't, or we'll both get fined.

My thoughts exactly!!:groan: Perhaps a copy of the schematic won't hurt.

BURNZEE

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Yeah I had the last two techs double-check that after Agent_24 mentioned that. I don't understand about polarity but I asked them anyways after I remember him talking about it previously.

Wish I knew what the results of them 'monitoring the line' were, but nobody will give me the results ...

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
From what I gather when last I had big problems, monitoring the line just logs how many disconnections you have had, and maybe the sync rate as well.

Of course there may be a lot more to it than that, but if it told them anything interesting they'd probably be more inclined to actually do something.

mikebartnz
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Perhaps, but if you make even just ONE callout per year you've saved money (because without it each callout costs more than $38, plus the hourly rate, etc)
If some one needed one call out per year the tech needs firing.

Agent_24
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Then a lot of people need firing. I called techs out several times in 2009\2010 because of issues they never solved, which only seemed to go away once the ADSL2+ cabinet went in.

mikebartnz
03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Then a lot of people need firing. I called techs out several times in 2009\2010 because of issues they never solved, which only seemed to go away once the ADSL2+ cabinet went in.
This came up because of the wiring maintenance fee so if a tech can't get that right within the house he isn't much of a tech. Mind you having seen some of the jobs done in the past nothing surprises me.

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2011, 12:21 AM
15 tech visits, granted some were the same tech multiple times, but yeah...

Agent_24
03-09-2011, 01:34 AM
I don't think my problems were in the house, but I have no idea where or what they ever were, as through the whole escapade the remote tester device (which appeared to use the mobile network to communicate with the exchange and run line tests) rated the line as perfect on every test, every time, with nothing at all hinting at a problem.

At the time, I would get randomly disconnected, and reconnected at about 196kbps (instead of 3000kbps) - they made me disconnect all my phones (without any sensible reason) and re-terminated and then replaced all the jackpoints. They changed me to a different wiring pair but the problems remained, and my speed then dropped to 2000kbps

What really pissed me off was that since the disconnection problem was not solved then, they could have switched me back to the old line, but they didn't, even though my download rate dropped.

Eventually they also installed a splitter but that didn't help.

Then the disconnections mysteriously went away while Chorus was on strike, and because Telecom didn't consider 2000kbps to be an issue, they didn't give a damn any more.

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah 2000kbps, Attenuation up to 50, those are the Max "limits" they consider acceptable

Ninjabear
04-09-2011, 03:25 AM
You obviously have a reading problem because pctek quoted the relevant section.

No, I do not have a reading problem. I am only questioning the relevant section because I have seen people getting charge when there's a wiring problem within the house.

Fifthdawn
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Should have done the same thing as the guy who set up the website with "days without connection".

Could have logged; calls, total time on the phone, number of drops, time spent off-line, number of tech visits, tech time on site...

It would have been a treasure trove of information.

mikebartnz
04-09-2011, 12:20 PM
No, I do not have a reading problem. I am only questioning the relevant section because I have seen people getting charge when there's a wiring problem within the house.
Well perhaps they don't pay the wiring maintenance fee.

dugimodo
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
The service you guys have is experienced is shocking really, but line faults like this can be insanely difficult to prove. If changing the pair, rewiring the house, changing the splitter, changing the exhange port, changing the router, still leaves you with problems and the pair tests ok you start to get to crystal ball gazing to find the problem. What is really difficult to find is enviromental interference, especially intermittent stuff.

Things like how clean is your power, is the neighbour conducting electrical experiments in his garage at night (well ok unlikely, but doing something that generates rf of some kind), is there a faulty appliance in your house, etc, etc.
Unplugging all the phones is actually a very good test to try as they do often cause problems, as do some cordless phones.

Off the top of my head things that could cause issues:
Obvious ones:
Faulty line or equipment - either exchange or customer end
Faulty or poorly designed house wiring (can be worth disconnecting all house wiring and connecting directly to the line coming into the house with no filter - eliminates everything at once but you have no phone while you do it)
Bad filters / splitters

Not so obvious:
Microwave ovens
Cordless phones
Any strong source of RF near the router or cabling
Power fluctuations or spikes
Faulty appliances
Power tools that cause a lot of arcing (bear in mind you share a phase with several neighbours who can theoretically cause ripples in the power)
Long multiples, which means a pair of wires connected to yours running in a different direction. elecctrically hard to spot but acts like an aerial and picks up interference. This could be on your property or down the street. ADSL is designed to work with this to a small degree but there are obviously limits.
A small cable with a lot of digital services on it, they can interfere with each other.
cosmic rays... ( I doubt it :) but you get the Idea it can be something weird and unexplained )
Gremlins that just don't like you

There's always a cause, but it can be near impossible to find at times.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Just a quick follow-on, I'm switched over to Slingshot. They did it exactly 24 hours after they changed my phone line to them too. Speeds are around 10x faster because they put me onto the Cabinet, something I had been waiting for *weeks* to be changed from the Orcon port on the Exchange. Will be interesting to see if there's any dropouts tonight.

lakewoodlady
07-09-2011, 04:56 PM
That's good to hear, hope all is well and no drop outs. I'm with Slingshot and never had any probs with them.

Cheers LL

Cicero
07-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I am with Slingshot and have a variation between 0.5 and 5 do dahs.

lakewoodlady
07-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Am I just lucky?
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1470354553.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

LL

Agent_24
07-09-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1470360219.png :D

Snorkbox
07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1470376895.png

lakewoodlady
07-09-2011, 10:27 PM
@ Chilling Silence. How's your connection this evening Chilling? Hope it's not still dropping off!

LL

Cicero
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I would be happy with this, but not reliable.3105

Greven
07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1470423450.png
Pretty good for Invercargill

ubergeek85
07-09-2011, 11:53 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1470487519.png

And that's a good one.

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2011, 12:30 AM
@ Chilling Silence. How's your connection this evening Chilling? Hope it's not still dropping off!

LL

I'm actually amazed, first time in literally months I've not dropped off on a weeknight!! I'm over the moon!!

R2x1
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Bah, I'm away from home for a couple of days and the intertubes are all clogged. It's usually a lot better than this http://www.speedtest.net/result/1471886905.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

wainuitech
08-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Depends on what server you log into as well - connecting to Worldxchange gives below.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1471894824.png

Connecting to Christchurch gives Much faster ping result - same basic over all speed.

CYaBro
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1471907816.png
:D

Sorry couldn't resist. :xmouth:

R2x1
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Never mind the speed, it's the quality that counts, I don't have pings, I receive a deep melodious gong tone ;)

PPp
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
R2x1 you must realise you get your internet in 3D unlike the rest of us.

Agent_24
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
No news is good news? I guess the connection is OK now?

Snorkbox
09-09-2011, 01:59 AM
@ Agent_24.

Check post number 69.

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Just thought I'd chime in with my work connection, which is Fibre with HD: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1473117754.png
:D

But yeah home DSL has been *great*!! Already had a tech out and they've increased the speed by a further 2m/bit as well :D
Not a single drop-off either which was my number one gripe. Going from anywhere from 10 a day to nothing (As it should be), I'm thrilled!!

R2x1
09-09-2011, 09:26 AM
R2x1 you must realise you get your internet in 3D unlike the rest of us.

4D actually, good things make time. :)

Agent_24
09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
But yeah home DSL has been *great*!! Already had a tech out and they've increased the speed by a further 2m/bit as well :D
Not a single drop-off either which was my number one gripe. Going from anywhere from 10 a day to nothing (As it should be), I'm thrilled!!

Good to hear. Now all you have to do is put up with Slingshot's helpdesk - a.k.a. "Psychotic clowns"

Chilling_Silence
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I've already put in a formal complaint about one of them, but another guy that I spoke with there Bevan was real good, and incredibly helpful ... So one formal complaint, one 'note of praise' :p

dugimodo
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Good to hear it seems to be sorted, Ive had a pretty good run myself for the most part but I have had a couple of bad experiences along the way.

My broadband story:

Original broadband ADSL1 on Nokia M10 (still have this bad boy, giant beige box slow as hell and twice as stable) using a 128/128 flat rate plan for games :)
Upgraded to full speed down and was only getting 2 Mb so I got a 2nd hand 4 port Dlink which upped it to 3Mb at first, then over time went slowly back down to around 1.5Mb
Connection started randomly dropping and reconnecting at different speeds, 1 time at 64kbps (lol, the theoretical minimum speed of dsl)

Reported a fault, tech came out, tried to convince me that using 2 pc's and a switch was causing the low speed, he replaces the splitter and leaves. As he's driving out the gate I report the fault again.
Next day another tech comes out, this one I recognise (I work in the industry for a rival company) after about half an hour he's found a faulty connection down the street and I'm back over 2M and stable.

Cabinetisation hits my street and my speed rockets up to 8M and stays there (DLink is responsible, the modems won't sink over 8M on ADSL2+ despite supposedly supporting it which is why telecom dumped them)
I sign up for 2 years to get a free wireless router,thompson turns up and my speed goes up to 16M, great! but then the random disconnects start...

Research indicates Thompson routers may have overheating problems, especially if the wireless is on. supposedly standing it on edge can help. Disconnects continue averaging 2-3 a month which I could live with except the router wont reconnect without intervention half the time when it happens. My opinion is the router is crap, I look for a new one.
I buy a 2nd hand linksys WAG160N from a guy at work, still connect at 16M but it's now much more stable.

I've since read Chills blog about routers and discover he doesn't think much of the 160N, but I've had mine about 8 months and it's only dropped 2-3 times that I remember. Every now and then I consider getting a better one but as long as it's stable I'll stick with this one.

I have the router feeding my GigE swtich with my 2 PC's on it (for fast network transfers) and the flatmate on another port (he can live with 100M :) ) I feed the TivO and the smartphone over WiFi.
I can download while gaming no problem, but it seems to screw my flatmate's connection if I do lol, otherwise very happy with how things have been for the last year or so.