PDA

View Full Version : Office 2010 questions

ecurb
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Wow this seems harder than Office 2007!! Can anyone help with these queries

1 In Word or Excell when you click <File> it defaults to the <Info> tab rather than <Recent>. Is there a way to change this?

2 In Word when I put a border around something and have the left and right margins the same the border is still closer to the left side than the right. Any solution?

Thanks in anticipation

SP8's
02-09-2011, 06:44 PM
2010 is pretty much the same as 2007 ... however ... if you save files in 2010 (default save) they can't be opened in '97 ~ 2007 as they have different file extensions.

Go file > save (as 2010) or > save as ( to save as '97 ~ 2007 file format. If you want to change settings for all Docs ... go into File > Options > and look through the list to alter what you need.

For Borders ... make sure you have the Tabs set equally both sides of page (should be by default) if not > Page Layout > Borders > Options ... check to make sure you have the settings correct and use Print Preview to check > adjust if necessary. (Quick way is to double click on the ruler)

It did take me a while to get used to 2010, but some things are much easier ... just a case of messing around with it for a while.

If all else fails ... Press F1 ... :D

waldok
02-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi ecurb

1 In Word or Excell when you click <File> it defaults to the <Info> tab rather than <Recent>. Is there a way to change this?

My Word 2010 Backstage (when you click File) goes to Recent if there's no document loaded, and Info if there is one loaded. I don't know of a way to change that, but you can get a list of recently opened files showing no matter what, by going to Recent and then at the bottom of the page, clicking Quickly accesss x number of documents.

2 In Word when I put a border around something and have the left and right margins the same the border is still closer to the left side than the right. Any solution?

I'm not seeing that, I've tried a few different borders and they all seem equal. You might want to open up the full Borders & Shading dialogue, click on Options and make sure the left and right Distance from text values are equal.

On the file format, the new formats in 2007/2010 can be opened in the older versions if the free Office Compatibility Pack (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-HA010168676.aspx) is installed. There are some good reasons to use the new formats, the files are quite a bit smaller on average and the odds of something getting corrupted in the file is less.

cheers
W