PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive stops working after XP SP3 update

1952TD
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM
I recently acquired a HP dx7400 Workstation from work and decided to rebuild it to replace my aging home computer. It is about 18months old and was little used. I restored it from the original disks (XP), installed Office, Macafee and a bunch of other programs, did all requested updates and it was running sweetly. I had one more program to install when I was asked to install SP3 for XP - which I did. Since then my DVD drive has refused to work. It shows up on My Computer and the device info says all is good. If I put a DVD or CD in it flashes away for a minute or so then nothing. If My Computer is open it usually hangs. Searching for solutions identifies this as a known issue after XP SP3 installs, but none of the solutions suggested has worked. I ran the MS fixit program, looked for upper and lower filters in the registry to delete (there were not there) and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. I also rolled back SP3. I am now thinking of buying a cleaning disk and if that fails to fix it swapping out the drive. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I do this?

Thanks

Douglas

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Get rid of Mcafee its rubbish, then install something else.

wainuitech
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Test if its the drive or software -- to do this,put in your windows CD, shut down then restart the PC, in the BIOS make sure the optical drive is set to as the first boot device.

If the PC boots OK from the CD, then its not the drive.

BTW: Welcome to PF1 :)

wratterus
01-09-2011, 10:15 AM
After checking what Wainui mentioned, you can try running this.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

1952TD
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks, good suggestion. When I did that it just said "boot from CD" - but didn't. Just flashed away for a couple of minutes then booted normally. I invested in a cleaning disk but that did not help. So perhaps just a co-incidental drive failure. I'll swap it out at the weekend.

1952TD
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
After checking what Wainui mentioned, you can try running this.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Thanks - did try that last night. But no luck. The drive is knackered I think.