PDA

View Full Version : How can i speed up the network?

cnc777
01-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Hi all,

I need to speed up my network for sending NC files to a NAS drive, literally from PC over a network cable to NAS drive(file storage) , does anyone know of a way to achieve it:

Would replacing the ethernet card in the PC for a fast one actually Work? can you recommend one.
Would replacing cat5 cable for fibre optic work, what is a good converter for the PC?
Does the actual PC performance affect the network?
Can wi fi be used for this purpose and will it be better?

Im a bit of a novice but I really need to get results.

Hope someone can advise who has some knowaledge of networking.

many thanks

Chilling_Silence
01-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Are you connecting at gigabit to the NAS device? Does it support gigabit? If it's USB, ditch that and use either an internal connector such as SATA / eSATA :D

Wifi is slower than gigabit ethernet, Fibre optics are limited mostly to the Thunderbolt port on Macs in the consumer market-space. Yes PC performance can affect your throughput, as can a decent chipset on your network card.

Gigabit ethernet .. That's the way to go :)

dugimodo
01-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Be aware that Many NAS devices are pretty slow, particularly the cheaper ones aimed at home use. I've seen figures that suggest they are much slower than the drives they use, but I'm not sure why. Probably an underpowered cpu/controller in the NAS. Perhaps you can look up yours and see what the specs are, or post the model here. If your network is all GigE from NAS to PC then it is capable of fairly good speeds, if any of it is 10/100M then it quite likely will bottleneck the transfer.

For example (bit risky I may screw this up) a drive with a transfer speed of 50MBytes/s = 400Mbits/s (x8 because ethernet is rated in bits not bytes) which is slow by modern hard drive standards (many can sustain near 100MB/s).
You will never achieve the max speed on ethernet because there are overheads but if your NAS can exceed 10-12Mbytes/sec then a 100M ethernet will slow it down.

Although I agree with chill regarding USB connections it is still faster than 100M ethernet with USB2 rated around 480Mb/s (I think) so if you are lower than 50Mbytes/s then it's not due to USB (probably)

linw
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Just been reading reviews of NAS boxes in PC User mag and they say, like Dugimodo, that throughput speed is affected by the speed of the cpu.