PDA

View Full Version : Webcam installs but video wont work!

turtle63
31-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I have a client who has a brand new computer, an Acer emachine EL1850 with Dual core Pentium E5800 3.2Ghz processor and 4 Gb Ram, Windows 7 64bit.

I supplied a Web cam for her as the old one had no Windows 7 drivers, this was a genius one and should have been fine, it installed ok and tried to use it but the video would not work with the software supplied (and Skype), would not recognise that there was a Web cam installed, yet it showed as being installed in the Device Manager and working ok.
The Microphone part worked ok tho.

So I thought odd, tried it on my Windows 7 PC and it is 32 bit and it worked ok so I thought maybe it just didn't like 64bit!!!
So ordered her another one which was a Logitech and was for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit computers.

Same thing happened, it installed ok and downloaded all the updates available for the product but had the same issue, was fine in the Device Manager and the Microphone part was recognised and working ok but the software and Skype did not recognise that there was a web cam installed and to reconnect even tho it showed it in the Device Manager and working ok.

Anyone got any ideas as I am fair out of them!!! it dosn't make sense.

:illogical

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 05:09 PM
What AV / firewall (if any is installed)? I know Kaspersky can block webcams / cams from working. Are the drivers 64 bit?

turtle63
31-08-2011, 05:15 PM
She has Avast on which is ok, dont think Windows firewall is the issue, cant even take a local photo with it, tells you there is no web cam.
Yes the drivers are 64 bit that is why I got a different one that definitely said 64 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Its not plugged into a USB hub is it?? Did you uninstall the other drivers, before installing the Logitech drivers? Did she install the drivers from windows update or download / install them from the Logitech site? I would also try installing the install file as admin. Or kill UAC

turtle63
31-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I installed it into a a usb spider thing but installed drivers first and then plugged in when it asked as you do.
Yes other drivers uninstalled.
once installed it indicated new updates so installed them which were updated drivers etc.
have also installed the thing using a stand alone Usb port on the front.
It seems strange tho that the microphone works but not the video....

GameJunkie
31-08-2011, 08:41 PM
i think usb hubs can cause problems with these kind of things

wainuitech
31-08-2011, 10:06 PM
This isn't going to be much help at the moment, but I seem to remember theres a setting that needs to be changed, had one exactly the same quite a while back, just cant remember if its in skype or in windows.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 10:25 PM
i think usb hubs can cause problems with these kind of things

USB hubs will cause probs, if you plug some USB devices into them. If its in a hub, plug it into a USB port

wainuitech
31-08-2011, 10:34 PM
From post #5
have also installed the thing using a stand alone Usb port on the front

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Delete it from DM then reboot then see if it works

pctek
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I installed it into a a usb spider thing
once installed it indicated new updates so installed them which were updated drivers etc.
God. Too many variables.

Do it again. Remove the hub, do it in it's own port then test it at that point.

Don't allow the updates before testing.

Then go to the hub and test again.

You need to do it step by step to establish which is the problem, could well be the updates also.

turtle63
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Could it be something to do with video on the computer as it is not recognised as a camera in Skype, or the software that comes supplied with it, dont forget this is the 2nd one I have tired and they both had the same issue.
And i have had it plugged in to a normal usb port.

linw
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Front or rear USB port? If front, I'd try a rear one (straw clutching!).

turtle63
01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I tried a front port but it shouldn't matter, it worked on my PC in a front one... both did in fact.

wainuitech
01-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Just a thought -- click start, go up to devices and Printers, is the web cam showing there ?

If not, then click on add a device, see if windows can search and locate it.

The front USB port should work, my Logitech works fine from the front port.

turtle63
01-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes it does show there as well, it all looks like it is installed correctly

wainuitech
01-09-2011, 01:49 PM
What sort of display does it have -- since its actually showing as being there, and the Mic works, its almost as if something or some other device is taking over the Cam.

I have seen this on a laptop before with a built in Cam when a external one was installed.

wainuitech
01-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Possible solution to try Last post (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/webcam-software-does-not-detect-webcam-when-using/2f97cb6c-8363-415b-a56d-f51fceb6cd5f)

Also try running skype as administrator.

turtle63
01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Nvidia G315 512MB gfx with an HP Monitor
had thought about running Skype as Admin but how would that affect the web cam software as it had the same issue?

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. Probably wouldnt take too long to figure out what the prob is

turtle63
01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
It is still at clients so wouldn't work thanks tho :) I just needed some ideas of things to try, spoke to Supplier tech support too and he suggested making image and reloading which is what I may have to do yet, dunno am thinking on that. it is brand new and not the sort of thing you would expect. Will got there tomorrow avo and uninstall and reinstall again but differently this time, will let you all know how it goes.

wainuitech
01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Nvidia G315 512MB gfx with an HP Monitor
had thought about running Skype as Admin but how would that affect the web cam software as it had the same issue? As its been mentioned - grabbing at straws -- if the software is installed OK, and the cam does work, then obviously something is stopping it. Running as admin would remove all "permissions" -- shouldn't need to, but stranger things have happened.

As speedy mentioned actually seeing the setup, may be an easy fix --- Classic example was this morning, a customer was having problems with FF6, been trying to "talk him through it" for the last few days, but it was becoming a real mission - connected remotely saw and fixed the problem in a matter of minutes.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Try uninstalling its drivers, then unplugging it. Then reboot, Install the drivers first, (if it needs a reboot after, reboot), then plug the cam back in (into a USB port not a hub).

Yup a mate in oz (his son's PC kept crashing, with a tuner). I decided to get him to install teamviewer. It didn't take too long to find the prob (he ran bluescreenview), there was a 0x00000050 stop error (which can be caused by a rootkit).

There were were 2 files in BSV (with no path and they had strange names - the files weren't windows files).

Decided to get tdsskiller ran it, it found 2 infections (in the MSSE database folder). Have no idea why they were there. Decided to get tdsskiller to remove / delete them. It did along with the services, it installed / created

Told the mate to leave the tuner / computer running till 7-8 this morning. Got back to him in IRC today, it hasnt crashed since tdsskiller removed those files

turtle63
01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I will do that thanks guys :)

turtle63
05-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Was reading that last post you put in as a solution wainuitech and makes sense, my only issue is I dont have a copy of Win 7 64bit to extract the files :( still haven't managed to get the camera to work yet, any other ideas? it is on my desk now tho

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Well if its with you put teamviewer on it. And I'll have a look. Not much else anyone can do..Without seeing what youre seeing

turtle63
05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
This is what the post was that I was talking about that Wainuitech posted, what are your thoughts?

I'm not sure if you've sorted out the problem with your webcam, but I had the same problem with a couple extra indicators that something was wrong (see my reply to Syed N below), namely the avicap32.dll popping up

I found a solution. If you've replaced the avicap32.dll file in the System32 folder and it doesn't work, ALSO replace the one in the SysWOW64 too. The SysWOW64 folder contains all the 32 bit drivers which, I'm guessing, most programs that use a webcam would use.

I copied the file that was in the SysWOW64 folder into a folder on my desktop as backup, used 7Zip to find and extract the avicap32.dll from the Windows/SysWOW64 folder on the Windows installation disc to my computer's Windows/SysWOW64 folder and BAM it worked straight away.

I will open up teamviewer on the PC, do I need to install it on it? have never used it.

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2011, 02:48 PM
You can either install it or run it from where it is (Ive never run it as is). So dont know what it does. If you install it / whatever. Send the ID and password it gives you, to me in a PM. So video works now then? Since you replaced that file?

turtle63
05-09-2011, 02:56 PM
NO video dosnt work I was just checking out that post that Wainuitech put link, to have PM you

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Oh ok then

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, uninstalled the drivers / software that were installed, rebooted. Then installed the download from the Logitech site, rebooted. Still no go. Copied (and renamed avicap.32.dll) in system32 and the other folder. Still no go. Skype and the software that installed with the drivers still couldn't detect it. Looks like this cam has had probs (according to Google), on some systems. And sometimes, it goes black, or wont get detected at all (like what happens here). Update DirectX. (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8109) One guy fixed his prob (but not with the same cam), doing this

wainuitech
05-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Long shot, try http://www.testwebcam.com/ See if it detects the Cam - cant trial it as I dont have a Cam on this thing.

Also has the Cam been tested on another W7 64 bit computer, just to see if its the Cam/Software or the actual PC. I know it was mentioned a 32bit and that worked fine ???

turtle63
05-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Checked the testmycam site and not recognised as webcam, it works ok on my Win 7 32 bit PC so not a problem with the web cam. Also have tried a Genius web cam on the same 64 bit PC with the same issue, and it works on a 32 bit PC so looks like issue with 64 bit but what??? Very frustrating as Speedy will testify.
Directx version is 11

wainuitech
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
As frustrating as it is, to confirm its actually a 64bit issue, the cam really has to be tried on another PC that runs x64. OR a cam thats already running on 64 tried on this suspect PC.

This will simply narrow it down to exactly where the problem is because at the moment theres still two issues -- is it the PC or is it the 64bit software ?

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I would say its a 64 bit prob. Since it does work with 32 bit. Do what I did, even tho this cam works in 64 bit, I installed it in XP mode too lol. It works fine with Skype in XP mode. Thats if the version oof Win7 you have supports XP mode

turtle63
06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
No this version of windows wont support xp mode :( I would like to try it on another 64bit pc but dont have access at the mo...
Am going to ring Logitech later, they open at 11.00am but have to go out for job so when I get back.

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Funny that it (the install ) picked up the mic tho. So, it knows its there. Did you try updating DirectX. Even tho Win7 has DX 11, you can still install the DX version on the MS site

turtle63
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes updated direct x again but nothing, rang Logitech and was supposed to receive email but nothing, dont think they will help anyway, might get another brand of webcam tomorrow and try, just cant figure it. Must be a combination of hardware software etc etc. will try it on another 64bit PC when I get a chance but shouldn't have to :( really frustrated... Do any of you guys know of any web cams that do work on 64 bit?

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
This cam works on 64 bit (Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000). These will probably work on 64 bit too (http://dicksmith.co.nz/dsnz/search/dsnz_search_results.jsp?bmForm=search&bmFormID=j7Z75TT&bmUID=j7Z75TU&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fdsnz%2Fhome.jsp&bmEditable=searchterm&bmHidden=searchterm&searchterm=lifecam&bmEditable=search&bmHidden=search&search=lifecam&bmEditable=attribute&bmHidden=attribute&attribute=&bmEditable=value&bmHidden=value&value=&bmHidden=searchSubmitted&searchSubmitted=true&bmText=searchInput&searchInput=&bmFields=bmFormID%2CbmHidden%2CbmIsForm%2CbmUID%2C bmForm%2CbmEditable%2CbmPrevTemplate%2CbmText&bmHash=70661e4498509b1bed8d6f52982729dfd9126bfa)

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 06:06 PM
What logitech version/ Cam are you using --- Just finished mucking about with a fresh install of W7 64bit on a workshop PC ( long overdue) , doing a image first - then going to see if the Logitech Cam I have here works.

I'll post back as soon as I finish it. :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
It was a C210 I think

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Ok just tried my one, Logitech C200 with latest software - it installed in the Program files (x86) but on a 64bit operating system, works perfectly, see attachment - shows cam working as well as the 64bit OS.

Device manager expanded out - top left - system properties showing 64bit OS - Cam viewing on the bottom.

The cam picture is clearer than it shows - If the cam gets any closer it reflects back.

Going by that test, I'd say theres a fault in the operating system. The one shown is a fresh install, without any big manufactures "extra" crap, a straight W7 SP1, also had windows update run.

turtle63
06-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Logitech C210 that is meant to come with drivers for Win7 64bit but note that the drivers on CD are quite old.
I will have a look at those you suggested Speedy tomorrow, was checking Dick Smiths site, could order them but will be quicker to get them while in town :)
Good luck Wainuitech, it'll probably work for you :)

turtle63
06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Was thinking reinstall but this is a brand new PC!!!

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Have you tried it without using Logitech's software? Since, according to this its meant to work with Win7 x64 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Logitech%20c210%201.3MP%20webcam&v=Logitech&uid=V-U0019&l=en-US&pf=2&pi=5&c=Cameras%20%26%20Photo&sc=Webcams&os=32-bit). If you havent I would uninstall the software unplug the cam, reboot then plug the cam back in

Agent_24
06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Tried updating the graphics card drivers?

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Have you tried it without using Logitech's software? Since, according to this its meant to work with Win7 x64 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=Logitech%20c210%201.3MP%20webcam&v=Logitech&uid=V-U0019&l=en-US&pf=2&pi=5&c=Cameras%20%26%20Photo&sc=Webcams&os=32-bit). If you havent I would uninstall the software unplug the cam, reboot then plug the cam back in Its possible the logitech software is conflicting with the W7 inbuilt, thought it would be the opposite really - can only but try.

turtle63
06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Yes tried it without the Logitech software (saw that info on Microsoft's site) and after research all day almost, tried the Genius webcam again with the same thing. Even used an older version of Skype etc etc etc
I am going to reinstall after backup and will let you all know...

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Does sound like a OS problem someplace , one cam -- Yeah OK, but two different brands same problem, yet work OK on other PC's -- odds are narrowed right down.

If going to reinstall I suggest doing a Normal Install from a standard DVD, add in the drivers, leaving out all the manufacturing rubbish. Should be the drivers (http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2042) theres a nice little app that tells you what it has near the top of the downloads ( so it says).
That one I posted, didn't even have skype, only the logitech software, the PC should work the Cam without skype. Skype is basically just a program that uses the Cam, which should be working first.

turtle63
06-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Already started, but one of those emachines, image on disc no choice so lets hope... will check what rubbish installed before trying the web cam :)

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Already started, but one of those emachines, image on disc no choice so lets hope... will check what rubbish installed before trying the web cam :) You can get the direct downloads of W7 ISO's (Legally) Select the version of windows you have then only need your COA on the machine.Bit unreliable this site (http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links) or More reliable (http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/) -- drivers in last post ( assuming its the same one)

turtle63
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey cheers for these links, bit hard to know where to look sometimes when you work by yourself and not enough time to look :) If the reinstall with acer doesn't work will try 1 of these

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Before you reinstall with the standard W7 ( if needed) make sure you do a image/Backup to an external drive of the factory install. That way if for what ever reason you need to put it back you can.

The reason for that is if I read the post correctly ( "image on disc ") meaning a recovery partition, sometimes putting back a non factory install can have a weird effect on running the recovery partition if required - weird as in doesn't work.
bit hard to know where to look sometimes when you work by yourself and not enough time to look Know that feeling, but this weeks a bit :sleep work wise.

turtle63
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
You will all be pleased to know that the first thing I did after uninstalling Nortons and some other rubbish was install the web cam using full software off the site and it works now Yay!!!!! What a headache this one has been, who knows why but its working yes!!!! Hey guys, heaps of Kudos to you all mainly Speedy and Wainuitech :0 :0 Cant thank you enough.....

wainuitech
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Could have been a bad install / Image originally.

Good it working :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Was Nortons on it, when I checked? Cant remember seeing it. I would use the Norton removal tool, remove the rest of it. Well at least its working now!

turtle63
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
NO it wasn't, i had already removed it and then put Avast on dont like Norton's, have had to many issues with it... Yes at least its working :)