PDA

View Full Version : Another FF6 Problem

Richard
31-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I am finding that after logging off any website, and trying to log on to another, I get the following error message. " Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system"

I am unable to do as message first says, as nothing shows as a running application in Task Manager, so my only recourse has been to reboot my computer.

Has anyone had this same error, or has anyone found a way around it??

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I get the same message sometimes, it doesnt quit fast enough. Its done this since V5 of FF. I just kill it in task manager. Does Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system appear even if you open a new tab?

Richard
31-08-2011, 01:11 PM
How do you manage to kill it in task manager Speedy? It does not show as a running app, and will not allow removal of the process in the running processes screen. New tab opens with no problem. I agree with your comment that FF is not closing itself fast enough, and while I too had the problem to some extent in FF5, it seems worse in FF6

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 01:15 PM
It shows in task manager here (firefox.exe). What if you click on show processes for all users in task manager? Can you see firefox.exe? A similar thing happens in Skype 5.5. It doesnt quit fast enough either. If you quit / then run it too soon, you'll get an I/O error. And you'll have to type your password in again to log in. I went back to 4.2

Richard
31-08-2011, 01:36 PM
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs#Hang_at_exit

Found this article about this problem. At the moment FF6 is performing perfectly for me so am leaving well alone. I will research further if it recurs.

Thanks and Cheers Speedy.

GameJunkie
31-08-2011, 03:48 PM
How do you manage to kill it in task manager Speedy? It does not show as a running app, and will not allow removal of the process in the running processes screen. New tab opens with no problem. I agree with your comment that FF is not closing itself fast enough, and while I too had the problem to some extent in FF5, it seems worse in FF6

it'll be in the processes tab

Richard
31-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I can find it in the processes tab OK, but I cannot end the process. It just takes no effect. I can end others without problem, but not firefox.exe.
I have disabled all my add-ons and plug-ins, so the problem in Firefox closing is not coming from there.

Any other ideas welcome.

pctek
31-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I had that issue with FF 4. And another unrelated issue. I think it's Windows.
I got p***ed off in the end and ran my image restore and all was well again.

And nope, you can't end the process, not even with 3rd party apps. tried for ages.

mikebartnz
31-08-2011, 11:08 PM
I have had this and just deleted sessionstore.js in the profile folder.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Its just been updated btw. Go to help/about.

Richard
01-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Starting to get a bit p......d off with this Firefox performance, so have just downloaded Chrome and installed it as default browser. It seems FF know they have a problem but haven't fixed it. I'll see how Chrome goes. Thanks guys for the help and suggestions.

John Calvert
01-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I have had the same message even at FF3.6 (which I'm staying at until there are alternatives for add-ons I consider essential).

I just never start FF immediately after ending it (count to ten).

Richard
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Tried Chrome, but didn't solve too many problems as it kept telling me I had a profile problem. ( My profile isn't that bad. probably better than full-face). So I have gone back to IE8 (XP) which seems to have no hangups about running properly, or how I look.

Will go back to Firefox when they get their s..t sorted.