PDA

View Full Version : I can't get email to send with Orcon, Help?!!!

baleguy
31-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi I am having trouble with setting up thunderbird, windows live mail or outlook 2003. I can recieve email ok but not send.
I talked to Orcon and they suggested some changes, they didn't work. I am very frustrated. They said just use webmail in the end.
I get an error with port 550 and helo/ehelo
I have tried other configurations and nothing seems to work.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Is this the error you're seeing? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290842). You're not trying to send emails from another ISP (besides Orcon) are you? Because this will block you from sending (but you can receive emails)

Safari
31-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi I am having trouble with setting up thunderbird, windows live mail or outlook 2003. I can recieve email ok but not send.
I talked to Orcon and they suggested some changes, they didn't work. I am very frustrated. They said just use webmail in the end.
I get an error with port 550 and helo/ehelo
I have tried other configurations and nothing seems to work.

Is you email with Orcon but you connecting to the internet with another ISP
If so you need to setup secure SMTP to send orcon mail or use the SMTP server of the ISP you are connecting with.

If you are connecting with Orcon check that you don't have SSL set up for Outgoing mail and the SMTP server port is set to 25

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah as Speedy said, if you're using a non-Orcon internet connection (For example if you've taken a laptop to a friends place and they use Xtra), then yeah, it'll be blocked.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 01:05 PM
The same thing happened to me (while I was with Xnet), I couldnt send emails from my cell to whoever. But, once I changed to Telstra it was fine. I could send and receive emails.

baleguy
31-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Du-OH!@!*&#%
I feel stupid *as holds own arm*
Yes I am connecting to net at friends on xtra.
So I tried to use xtras smtp but it comes up asking for login and password.
Best I take it home and re set up the email?

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Correct configure it at home, (through your own ISP, with your Orcon email settings), then sending and receiving will work

baleguy
31-08-2011, 01:24 PM
will do thanks, I have learnt something today

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2011, 01:32 PM
lol No probs. The only way you could send email (from another ISP), is if you had an account with them as well. Obviously you couldnt type in a username / and password with Xtra (when you tried), since you don't have an account with them

Safari
31-08-2011, 01:39 PM
lol No probs. The only way you could send email (from another ISP), is if you had an account with them as well. Obviously you couldnt type in a username / and password with Xtra (when you tried), since you don't have an account with them

That's not true Speedy, if using port 25 there is no login required to send mail and as long as the the connection IP is with that ISP they will allow mail to be sent through their server.
Port 25 is only blocked if the ISP and SMTP are not the same.

pctek
31-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Orcon said just use webmail in the end.
How lame. Their helpdesk really is going downhill fast.