PDA

View Full Version : Telecom T-Stick

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Anyone know how to use one of these? I have been trying to help someone get on the net with one. Brand new Laptop, Win 7. IE 9 doesn't seem to want to shake hands with it. Very frustrating for me and the person I'm trying to help. :badpc:
I'll be seeing her again tomorrow, so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Cheers LL

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 07:35 PM
It'll be like a dialup modem wouldnt it? Did Win7 install drivers for it?

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Mobile broadband. Yes drivers are installed ok There is an icon on the desktop for it and when you plug the stick into the USB port, it says that it is ready, then click the icon to connect. Ok, so I click the icon and it says "Connecting". So far so good, but then when I open IE it comes up with Page cannot be displayed. I guess I may have to ring Telecom back again and see if they can help.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 07:54 PM
I would go here. Looks like someone is there now to chat to (http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/mobilebroadband/plansandpricing/prepaid)

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that Speedy, but as I am not at the person's place it might be a bit difficult to explain the problem. And of course I need to be online there to chat, so it might just have to be a phone call to the helpdesk. Grrr.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Did you use / install something like connection manager? (http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1879/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL01aTnRzbVNq)Or did it install something when you plugged it in? And did whoever do this ? (http://www.telecom.co.nz/help/content/popup/0,9076,206229-203593,00.html). And make sure its not plugged into a USB hub, it needs to be in a USB port

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 08:17 PM
It is an MF 181. I did notice that the connection manager showed itself very briefly in the lower right hand corner and then faded away. I must be doing something wrong. Think I'll just ring the help tomorrow, or try the chat. In the meantime she can use the dial up connection. She just wanted to be able to use the T stick when she's away at friend's place who is internet deprived, lol.

LL

B.M.
30-08-2011, 08:20 PM
How long have you been trying?

I purchased a Telstra one in Aussie and it wouldn’t work either. After a huge struggle with their help desk, which is every bit as useless as Telecom, I was told it would take 4hrs to sort itself out. 4 Days later it did. :angry

Taking the laptop and “T” stick to a Telecom/Telstra shop and telling them to fix it or refund your money is often the best way.

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 08:26 PM
It'd be cheaper buying a prepaid cellphone, that has the internet on it :lol: Just fill it up and use it

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 08:40 PM
The lady was ill advised by toaster shop staff namely Noel Leeming. She bought the laptop and T-stick yesterday morning and I went there today to try and get it working. I think she would have been better to just get a bb connection imho. Turned out to be a real mission, I'm not familiar with Win 7 and never seen a T-stick before in my life, lol! Live and learn eh?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 08:43 PM
First thing I would kill is User account control (control panel / user accounts / the last option). Move the slider right down to never notify, then reboot. Then things might actually work. Its the worst feature in Vista and Windows 7

somebody
30-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I have an older generation of this T-Stick for work, which uses the rebranded ZTE software.

There is a user guide here: http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3153

Make sure the connection manager does actually finish connecting, and it shows receive and transmitted traffic.

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 08:52 PM
First thing I would kill is User account control (control panel / user accounts / the last option). Move the slider right down to never notify, then reboot. Then things might actually work. Its the worst feature in Vista and Windows 7

Yep will do that tomorrow. Don't see how that would make a diff to IE not connecting though. Still, it's worth a try.

LL

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 08:55 PM
@ Somebody. Yeah that all downloaded ok and there is the Connect Me icon on desktop.

LL

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 08:59 PM
UAC has a habit of giving you access denied errors, and some programs may have to be run as admin, so they'll install properly

lakewoodlady
30-08-2011, 09:20 PM
UAC has a habit of giving you access denied errors, and some programs may have to be run as admin, so they'll install properly

Good thought, will check that out tomorrow. My brain is tired now so am off to have an early night!

LL

somebody
30-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Certainly worth a try, but UAC in Windows 7 hasn't caused me any grief for the 3 different Telecom 3G sticks I've used over the last few years (1x CDMA one, 1x ZTE on XT, 1x Sierra Wireless on XT).

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Never used a T stick so dont know, but I know UAC stops Foxit reader from updating (or used to). It kept giving me access denied errors

lakewoodlady
01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Ok, got it sorted now! What a nightmare and Telecom not easy to deal with. The woman has now changed from prepaid to monthly, on contract for 24 months.
Not an ideal set up, but whatever rocks her boat, Am going to see her again to help get her email set up. Win 7, Windows Live mail. Not looking forward to it as I have only a vague idea how Win Live Mail works! Guess we'll both learn something!

LL