PDA

View Full Version : ADSL2 at last!

Tony
30-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Out of the blue I'm on ADSL2+. I suddenly noticed speeds of 9.6/.95, so I checked the router and there it was! All the docs and lists said it wouldn't be till December, which it is why it is all a bit of a surprise.

I rebooted the router and I'm now getting >10.5. So the question is, are there any tweaks I can do to squeeze even more speed out? The router is set to all the default settings, and the status page says

Line Rate 12525 Kbps 1114 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate 15316 Kbps 1160 Kbps

So it looks like there could be a bit of headroom.

In the meantime I'll enjoy the increased speed.

wratterus
30-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Down the other end of my street people are getting 18mbps...not this end yet though. :( :p

Tony
30-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm 1.3km from the exchange, and 600m from the cabinet (I think).

Safari
30-08-2011, 01:47 PM
It is fairly normal Tony for your actual speed to be a bit lower than your Line rate.
I would say you are getting as fast as your line allows the moment.
The condition of your home wiring plays a big part and sometimes getting a full install done with a main splitter and a dedicated line to one phone jack is the only way to get any further increase in speed.

Tony
30-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Down the other end of my street people are getting 18mbps...not this end yet though. :( :pAaaagh! So I'm still going to get technolust!

Tony
30-08-2011, 01:53 PM
It is fairly normal Tony for your actual speed to be a bit lower than your Line rate.
I would say you are getting as fast as your line allows the moment.
The condition of your home wiring plays a big part and sometimes getting a full install done with a main splitter and a dedicated line to one phone jack is the only way to get any further increase in speed.The home wiring is good (<10 years old) and there is a central splitter. Not sure about the dedicated line. Is there any way I can check that out without gettoing a technician in?

Safari
30-08-2011, 02:01 PM
The home wiring is good (<10 years old) and there is a central splitter. Not sure about the dedicated line. Is there any way I can check that out without gettoing a technician in?

If you have a splitter there would normally be one phone jack point that is for ADSL only and would be labelled as such

dugimodo
30-08-2011, 02:08 PM
If you have a central splinter then that's an indication you already have the good wiring.

It's not really a dedicated line but rather a dedicated jackpoint. Adsl2+ goes up to around 24m but you have to be very close for that speed.

:pf1mobmini:

Tony
30-08-2011, 02:10 PM
If you have a central splinter...Some say I've been splintered for years...:)

Tony
30-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, it looks like I do have a dedicated line. I certainly couldn't get the router to connect when I plugged it into a different point from the usual one.

Agent_24
31-08-2011, 02:43 AM
You can get a speed boost if you call your ISP and ask for interleaving to be turned off (assuming it's on already)

This does however have the side-effect of reducing your error correction, so it's possible you may experience problems (disconnections, timeouts etc) but of course if that happened you could just get it turned back on again.

It's worth nothing though that not all ISPs\Plans will allow it to be turned off.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 09:13 AM
- Home wiring
- Interleaving
- Single filter at the demarc rather than one on every jackpoint
- Upgrade your router

Some routers sync better and pump out more power on the line than others, It can literally make a 2-3mbps difference at those speeds.

Tony
31-08-2011, 09:31 AM
- Home wiring
- Interleaving
- Single filter at the demarc rather than one on every jackpoint
- Upgrade your router- Home wiring: should be Ok - approx 10 years old.
- Interleaving: Speedy mentioned that - may consider it.
- Single filter at the demarc rather than one on every jackpoint: got that AFAIK.
- Upgrade your router: just done that - Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn.

I'm actually pretty happy with the speeds at the moment, having gone from approx 1Mbps a few weeks ago to > 10Mpbs at the moment. I was just lusting after those last extra few Bps. :drool:drool:drool

dugimodo
31-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Some say I've been splintered for years...:)

Doh! stupid android predictive text, I don't always catch it's "corrections" teach me for reading forums on my phone.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 10:26 AM
You can always move closer to the cabinet? :D

Tony
31-08-2011, 10:45 AM
You can always move closer to the cabinet? :DThere is a house for sale just up the road...
Actually I'm about 600m from the cabinet, which is probably not bad.

Agent_24
31-08-2011, 12:17 PM
- Interleaving: Speedy mentioned that - may consider it.

No he didn't :lol:

I would recommend it, I got over 1Mbit speed increase downstream and my upstream also increased.

Tony
31-08-2011, 12:24 PM
No he didn't :lol:

I would recommend it, I got over 1Mbit speed increase downstream and my upstream also increased.Whoops, sorry! Always like to give credit where it is due. I probably won't bother about the interleaving - as I said earlier, I'm actually pretty happy with the speed at the moment, so if it ain't broke...

Safari
31-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Whoops, sorry! Always like to give credit where it is due. I probably won't bother about the interleaving - as I said earlier, I'm actually pretty happy with the speed at the moment, so if it ain't broke...

Wise move Tony. Your speeds are very good, faster than many people and a small increase would not make any appreciable difference to your internet use.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I remove interleaving for the drop in ping times personally. Used to be able to get from Auckland to Wellington and back again in under 7ms with it off :D

Tony
31-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I remove interleaving for the drop in ping times personally. Used to be able to get from Auckland to Wellington and back again in under 7ms with it off :DPing is only really significant if you're a gamer - or am I wrong?

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 01:33 PM
It'll affect other things too, such as VoIP, but by and large the difference between say 10ms vs 30ms isn't worth worrying about for browsing etc.

Tony
31-08-2011, 01:44 PM
It'll affect other things too, such as VoIP, but by and large the difference between say 10ms vs 30ms isn't worth worrying about for browsing etc.Ah, right. So it would affect Skype? According to Speedtest, I'm getting about 50-60ms from WLG, but 350+ to the UK Midlands where my sister lives. But as I only speak to her about every 6 months I'm not overly worried. :)

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2011, 03:49 PM
It will, but only to the tune of say 20 -> 40ms. How noticeable that is varies a lot, person-to-person