PDA

View Full Version : Speedfan Readings

CliveM
30-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Are the voltages shown on the attached image anything to be excited about?
In particular the -12 and +12 volt ones look odd to me.

nedkelly
30-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I dont trust speedfan for voltages

CliveM
30-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I dont trust speedfan for voltages

Thanks Nedkelly.
Do you have any recommendation of something better?
The machine is running fine anyway and I perhaps just forget about it.

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Look in the BIOS

dugimodo
30-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Using any of these monitoring programs you should be aware they may not give the correct readings, they are useful as a guide but can't be taken as definitive.
Like Speedy said look in the BIOS, or go to the motherboard manufacturers website and see what utilities they offer - generally fairly basic but likely to work correctly.

CPU-Z is a fairly good one if you want to try it, covers quite a lot besides CPU speed. And Realtemp is another good one.

CliveM
30-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Using any of these monitoring programs you should be aware they may not give the correct readings, they are useful as a guide but can't be taken as definitive.
Like Speedy said look in the BIOS, or go to the motherboard manufacturers website and see what utilities they offer - generally fairly basic but likely to work correctly.

CPU-Z is a fairly good one if you want to try it, covers quite a lot besides CPU speed. And Realtemp is another good one.

Thanks I may check those out and as per Speedy's suggestion look in bios. As I do not intend to overclock I am not intending to change anything anyway. I have just put in an 800 watt Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU and an Antec Kuler CPU cooler and became curious about the Speedfan readings. I wanted my PC to be quieter and I have achieved that.

Agent_24
30-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Speefan seems accurate for temperatures, although it does not often give them useful labels. You must change the names yourself.

It's also great for reading SMART data for hard drives

But yes, the voltage readings leave a lot to be desired. I think they are accurate on older boards and older sensor chips though.

wratterus
30-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah check the BIOS for voltages...Speedfan doesn't always get them right.