PDA

View Full Version : CRC Error

buckingi
29-08-2011, 03:08 PM
When trying to install ANY game I get the message:

"CRC Error. The file (Filename.xxx) does not match the file in the setups.cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted.

I am running a new PC that has been working perfectly for the last two months. ie Asus M4A88T-m-USB3 mobo with AMD Phenom II x4 945 B.E. cpu and all this runs Windows 7 pro 64 bit. The OS was reinstalled with the same errors occuring when installing any game.

The media I am using is OK as it runs on another PC without errors.

Does anybody have any ideas on this problem.
:many thanks to all who can help,

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 03:22 PM
So, you were getting the CRC errors before you re-formatted as well?

And it was fine, when you reinstalled Windows?

If this is the case, it sounds like you've installed something (after you reinstalled Windows) thats causing the CRC errors

None of the drivers / installs for this mobo install anything Nvidia drivers does it?

Did you install a separate firewall (besides Windows firewall)?

linw
29-08-2011, 04:41 PM
What are you installing all these games from? You say 'media'. If CD/DVD I would try another drive. CRC errors indicate hardware read problems.

buckingi
29-08-2011, 04:48 PM
The CRC error was before, thats why I did a reinstall to try a fix. That didn't work! I still get the error. Running Windows 7 with no third party software this time. I had others before but that was not the problem. I installed a 'new' HDD and installed Windows XP Pro on it, but I still got the same error when installing games. I replaced my graphics card and installed 'new' ram (6GB), same error.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Replace the dvdrom / whatever you're using. Since thats what you're installing the programs / etc from. And since you've replaced everything else. Or it maybe the sata port you put the dvd on. If its SATA. Plug it into another port. Some SATA ports are for hdd's only, some are for dvd's/cvd's (on some motherboards)

buckingi
29-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I have installed two 'new' DVD-ROM drives which each give the same error on installs. I have installed the games on another PC and do not get the errors, so the drives and the DVD's are ok.

buckingi
29-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I also copied the DVD to my HDD and installed from there. I still got the same CRC Error.

Cato
29-08-2011, 05:00 PM
I also copied the DVD to my HDD and installed from there. I still got the same CRC Error.

Try making an image of the DVD on the computer where it installed properly and copy and use that image??

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Well, if you can install Win7 or XP on the hdd, I dont know why that works, but games wont/dont

What DVD did you copy to the hdd? The games cd/dvd?

Are the 2 DVD rom drives, SATA or IDE? If theyre IDE, did you jumper them?

buckingi
29-08-2011, 05:19 PM
The OS disks allowed me to install ok. The game I copied to the HDD was GTA-SA, this works fine in the other PC. I also copied two other games to HDD and got the same error. The DVD drives are Sata, I have tried changing them to other Sata ports but it makes no difference, still errors. I searched on Google for answers to this problem and it seems that there are a lot of puzzled gamers out there who have not had any luck solving this dilema.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Where did you get the games from ?

The reason for the question, is after doing a lot of searching on google, 99% of the time the problem with that exact same error message on many various games has been because the games were downloaded from torrent sites.

buckingi
29-08-2011, 05:41 PM
The games that are giving CRC errors arev all genuine retail versions and none are downloaded or copied but do give these errors. If I continue the install and ignore the errors the games continue to load but will not play!
I agree with you , If at First you Can't Fix it - Get a Bigger Hammer!!

buckingi
30-08-2011, 01:14 PM
########## PROBLEM SOLVED ##########
MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO TRIED TO HELP SOLVE THE CRC ERROR FAULT.
I installed another motherboared and the error disappeared. To make sure it was the 'new' motherboard was at fault I re-installed it and the problem returned. So this proves to me it is definitely the motherboard that is a dud. I now have to convince the supplier that their 'new motherboard' they sold me is the culprit.
Once again guys, thanks for trying to help. Theirb will be a lot of disapointed gamers out there who now have to replace their motherboards, sorry , I would have liked a cheaper option myself!

buckingi
30-08-2011, 01:16 PM
########## PROBLEM SOLVED ##########
MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO TRIED TO HELP SOLVE THE CRC ERROR FAULT.
I installed another motherboared and the error disappeared. To make sure it was the 'new' motherboard was at fault I re-installed it and the problem returned. So this proves to me it is definitely the motherboard that is a dud. I now have to convince the supplier that their 'new motherboard' they sold me is the culprit.
Once again guys, thanks for trying to help. There will be a lot of disapointed gamers out there who now have to replace their motherboards, sorry , I would have liked a cheaper option myself!

If at first you don't succeed - to hell with it!

Agent_24
31-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Forget the CRC, use WD-40 instead ;)