PDA

View Full Version : Technical question

JJJJJ
28-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I am going to replace my motherboard. Swapping a DFI for an ASUS.

The big question.
Will the new board workwith my existing Hard drive? Or will I have to re-instal Windows etc?
Jack

wainuitech
28-08-2011, 09:04 PM
No one can give a positive yes or no to that question.

Sometimes you can change a board and every thing works fine other times it doesn't. If you have XP and it doesn't work, sometimes you can get away by doing a repair install, then again that doesn't always work either.

Some people seem to think with W7 you can -- But I can say for certain 100% it doesn't always work, I've had a few customers with blown boards or they want to upgrade the board and it will simply BSOD on boot up, even going into safe mode doesn't work.
With W7 you can do a repair install, but thats also catch 22 - you can only do it from within windows unlike XP.

Assuming its windows, no matter what version the outcome is the same -- make a image/backup of the drive, change the board and see what happens -- Suck it and see. :)

JJJJJ
28-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I'm running Win7 64 bit. Guess I'll try it and fing out.
Jack

feersumendjinn
28-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Also depends if you're using a OEM version of your OS, if you try to do a repair/reinstall on a completely different motherboard, Micro$oft won't let you (see More Information heading on this page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125)); should be ok if it's a full or upgrade version.

Agent_24
29-08-2011, 02:21 AM
With W7 you can do a repair install, but thats also catch 22 - you can only do it from within windows unlike XP.

Well done to the clown at Microsoft who figured that one out! :clap

pctek
29-08-2011, 08:24 AM
I've done it - although ASUS to ASUS. DFI to ASUS? Give it a go, even if you have to go safe mode first, take the old drivers out then reboot.

Agent_24
29-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I've done DFI to MSI - Socket 370 to Socket A but both used VIA chipsets and didn't have a problem.

SolMiester
29-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Im quiet sure you have an Intel cpu, which means really there are not a lot of different chipsets around to support it....
As WT says, not 100% certain, but I would have to say on this occasion and especially with W7 being agnostic, you will be fine, even the intel SATA drivers are the same!

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Just had one this morning, currently reinstalling it, Windows 7 Professional Had a Gigabyte board that has failed, (PSU took it out) just put in a ASUS --- instant BSOD on startup.

Wont boot into safe mode either, simply hangs (for 40 minutes while I ducked out), so have to slave the drive to recover the data.

JJJJJ
31-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Well it worked. Didn't even have to reactivate win 7. Both boards had a 58 chipset so that probably helped.
Jack

pctek
31-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Well it worked. Didn't even have to reactivate win 7.
:clap:clap

Yay! Cool when it works like that, isn't it. Mostly it does.