PDA

View Full Version : email stops downloading

kapkol
28-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a continuing problem with my connection ‘hanging’ while downloading emails. A reply to an earlier post in this respect suggested running a scan on ‘C’ drive (‘checking the volume for errors’) which seemed to work for a while but the problem has re-occurred on a grand scale. I am running Win Xp (SP3) on dial-up with Outlook Express. I can send emails ok but the receive function stops downloading after a short while (but just stays connected). I have tried all the usual tricks (compacting, disabling anti-virus, deleting temp files etc) and also tried using Outlook, and Windows Live – same problem. Something to do with .pop3 account? It also seems that after closing the email programme, I sometimes cannot even open the programme!
I have another problem – I’m going bald with the frustration! Even google doesn’t come up with any remedies. Am I the only one with the problem or are there any other bald would-be geeks out there?

Safari
28-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Login to your ISPs webmail and check if there is a message there that OE is having trouble downloading.

kapkol
28-08-2011, 06:39 PM
No, - I can check on web-mail and nothing in there that is a problem - I have managed to download some.

decibel
28-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Are there large attachments with the email ??

kapkol
28-08-2011, 07:30 PM
No. I feel confident, due to recent experiences with this, that the problem isn't the emails themselves.

Safari
28-08-2011, 07:40 PM
What AV have you got installed
Who is your ISP
Do you get any sort of error message when it stops
Is it possible your dialup speed is just too slow and the connection is timing out.

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Yup if you have something like Mcafee kill its email scanning. Some AV programs can screw sending / receiving emails up

kapkol
28-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Avast is the AV and I have tried with this disabled (no difference). KOL is the ISP.

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Sounds like something maybe corrupt

wainuitech
28-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Seen this a couple of times - The ones I have dealt with were put onto a high speed connection, then once the emails and windows updates had finished downloading, the email then work again on dial up.

Check that nothing else is trying to download at the same time, Eg as mentioned, windows updates :2cents:

kapkol
29-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Nothing else was downloading. I have windows updates notification only. Although the emails 'hang', I have no problems downloading large files, (eg windows live mail which was some 54MB and downloaded to determiine whether it was my Outlook Express which may have been corrupted), - it took a while of course. But certainly no interruption of the downloading. Puzzling !! Problem occurs with OE, Outlook, and Windows Live.

Safari
29-08-2011, 12:40 AM
Well you would not be downloading a 54MB email, I think you mean 5MB
I still think it is Avast or else KOL have a problem with their mail server, have you asked them?
Do this in Avast
1. Right click on the blue A ball icon in the bottom right corner.
2. Click "On Access Protection Control".
3. In the left pane, highlight "Internet Mail" and click Terminate. It will be greyed out now.
4. In the left pane, highlight "Outlook/Exchange" and click Terminate.
5. Click OK.

kapkol
29-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your help guys. Safari, the programme referred to was Windows LiveMail, and it was 54MB. No problem with downloading that or any other large downloads - except emails! I don’t see any of the references to Avast that you mentioned – mine is an orange icon. Anyway, I have tried my mail programmes with Avast disabled and it makes no difference.

Safari
29-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Can you explain what actually happens when you do a send/receive
Does it actually try to connect to the pop server and then stops or does it just keep trying to download. Either way it should eventually give you an error message as to what is happening.

kapkol
29-08-2011, 11:41 AM
It connects with the server ok - then I can watch the status window and it might bring in some 100k or 200k, maybe 1.5MB, and then just shows nothing coming in. Never any error message. I have checked with the ISP and they don't have any problems at present. In the recent past I have managed to get things going again by running a check on the "check the volume for errors" but currently even this is not solving the problem.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Windows LiveMail, and it was 54MB. No problem with downloading that or any other large downloads - except emails! You have several problems there.

1. 54MB is large for an email attachment, esp on dial up.That will exceed the max size limit on many email clients.
2. Downloading files of that size via a normal download (from a site/browser) is completely different to email attachments.
3. The fact you have tried 3 different email programs and they all do the same would suggest its the actual mail that you are trying to get through, nothing to do with the PC or programs.

As I mentioned before - I've seen and fixed this problem hundreds of times when people are on dial up - if you were to put the PC on a high speed connection that may come through, but if you dont have one, then the next thing to try, go into the web based mail, delete all the mails from the inbox that have attachments, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if thing worked again.

Safari
29-08-2011, 12:41 PM
You have several problems there.

1. 54MB is large for an email attachment, esp on dial up.That will exceed the max size limit on many email clients.
2. Downloading files of that size via a normal download (from a site/browser) is completely different to email attachments.
3. The fact you have tried 3 different email programs and they all do the same would suggest its the actual mail that you are trying to get through, nothing to do with the PC or programs.

As I mentioned before - I've seen and fixed this problem hundreds of times when people are on dial up - if you were to put the PC on a high speed connection that may come through, but if you dont have one, then the next thing to try, go into the web based mail, delete all the mails from the inbox that have attachments, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if thing worked again.

It was actually the Windows mail program he was downloading it seems Wainui not an email attachment
There are no mail servers I know of that allows an email of that size to be sent.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 12:48 PM
It was actually the Windows mail program he was downloading it seems Wainui not an email attachment
There are no mail servers I know of that allows an email of that size to be sent.
I am running Win Xp (SP3) If thats the case then Thats one reason it wasn't downloading :) Windows live mail ( the program) is part of Live essentials, which doesn't work on XP.

System requirements: Operating system: 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7, or Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 and the Platform Update for Windows Vista

Safari
29-08-2011, 12:58 PM
If thats the case then Thats one reason it wasn't downloading :) Windows live mail ( the program) is part of Live essentials, which doesn't work on XP.

System requirements: Operating system: 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 7, or Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 and the Platform Update for Windows Vista
Good point
Just going by what he said "eg windows live mail which was some 54MB"
He would not even be able to install it though would he let alone get it configured
He said he has tried Outlook though, wonder if he configured that correctly.

It could still be a problem with OE it self then.
Possibly try deleting the KOL account in OE and set up a new one and see if that helps.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I dont trust KOL even for a second -- a few weeks back one customer was having all sorts of problems for 3-4 days with email not even connecting to the server.
The web based was fine, the user account checked, remade and then double checked at KOL , they said it was a PC problem.

Which I was quick to point it wasn't as I had put her details in my laptop and the same problem was there. Errrrrrrrrrr :blush:

The lady went and made a cuppa, then all of a sudden with nothing being touched the email was working again as if by magic --- KOL had claimed they had no problems and the account was also fine ----------you think ???:rolleyes:

kapkol
29-08-2011, 06:49 PM
If thats the case then Thats one reason it wasn't downloading :) Windows live mail ( the program) is part of Live essentials, which doesn't work on XP.

Hey guys - think we're losing the plot here somewhere. Some repeats are necessary - Windows LiveMail WAS downloaded on XP and works fine - and I have some emails into that programme. I downloaded it so I could check to see if it was OE that was possibly corrupted. But this programme also suffers the same fate as OE and O (just hangs). It was the programme that was 54MB, not any attachment. I have several emails on my server at present and the biggest is only some 1.2MB - not a problem in the past. I have just tried to download again after running the 'check on the volume' and I got about 1.3MB in before it stopped downloading again. It is currently 'hanging' and I am replying to your post while still on line - I will have no problem posting this reply! But why is the email programme not downloading? Hope this clarifies the problem for you - I really appreciate your help even with the misunderstandings!

Safari
29-08-2011, 06:58 PM
It is not uncommon for anything near 1MB to cause a problem with dialup.
Delete or move that large one to webmail Drafts and you will probably find the others will download ok.
Advise all your contacts you only have dialup and ask them not to send large emails, by that I mean nothing over about 500kb
If you changed to broadband I don't think you would have any of these problems.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 07:08 PM
A few things to try:

Roughly how many emails are on the server , and how many are in the inbox on the PC ? If there are to many the Email programs may be choking.

Just a long shot, but check one setting - open OE, Tools,Options Connection Tab, make sure hangup after sending and receiving is NOT ticked.

When you run the disk check, does it actually find any faults ?

Also double check your email server is set to POP

and the settings pop3.kol.co.nz

Where you ask : "Why are they not downloading",

All it takes is one mail to be damaged on the server, and it will stop the rest. What you should try, move ALL the mails on the server to another folder, or delete them, then hit send & receive in OE, it should flash through, then send a mail to your self, if that comes through OK then it was one of the ones you moved/deleted.

kapkol
29-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I’ve currently got maybe 1000 emails in my inbox in OE - I’m assured that’s not a problem and in the past I've had more. Even if it was, my inbox in Outlook is just 2 (yes two!) And Outlook suffers the same fate when I try to download into it – ie: I'm sure it’s not the number of emails that’s the problem. Currently there are 9 emails trying to download – and currently Outlook says it’s trying! But no error message – just nothing coming in after the first few kbs.

Safari - In the past I have had a few contacts sending me a picture of a baby’s elbow with a tiny scroll bar - y'know the thing! Sometimes up to 8MB and more! – yes I have made suggestions to them but in any case, the email has always arrived. I am looking at broadband, and Orcon’s Genius, but they are SO slow to reply to my questions I am losing interest.

Wainuitech - The Connection tab is not checked but thanks for the idea. The error check doesn’t ever show anything found – just says check complete. As I said, in the past this check has helped but at present it does not. So the problem is getting worse.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I’ve currently got maybe 1000 emails in my inbox in OE - I’m assured that’s not a problem and in the past I've had more. That's possible hint -- Number doesn't matter with OE or Outlook BUT size does.

Check this please --Open OE, tools/Options/maintenance tab - on the right near the bottom "store folder" button. In the box will be C:\Documents & setting -------- high light the complete line ,Copy the location -- close off OE.

Click start, run -paste in the location of OE store folder, Click OK, there you will see all the .dbx files, right click a blank section of the window, left click properties -- look for the size.

"If" its anywhere close to 1.7GB or above that may very well be the problem -- OE ,Outlook versions prier to 2007 have a limit of "total size of all folders combined" of 2GB -- if its over 2GB you are lucky it hasn't already corrupted. if there are two many mails in size, then the mail is full and you need to deleted some to make room.

kapkol
29-08-2011, 09:02 PM
499MB - I rest my case! Even if this was the problem with OE, then why do I have the problem with Oulook with just 2 emails in it.

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 09:25 PM
If you want help then you have to sometimes work through a process of elimination.
Most of the time the problems are not big, so you have to work through one at a time till everything is eliminated. Even with the PC in front of you, being a real tech, and running my own business for many years, you still have to look for not so obvious problems.

When helping someone here we cant see what you can unless a remote connection is made (as some members do)

Many people think mails will just come through, but all it takes is one to be damaged and it will stop everything else.

Did you remove the mails from the server like its been suggested by two of us --- I think I know the answer to that ;).

That may or may not be the problem - but until its tried the answer wont be known and there has been no mention I can see of it being tried. It could be something on the actual PC, but its easier to eliminate the smaller problems first.

About the only thing that is certain is it affects all Mail programs, which narrows down the possible causes.
Theres can plenty to try and plenty of reasons why it wont work, but wont be from me sorry. :stare:

Comments like "499MB - I rest my case!" are not very welcome thank you esp when trying to help. :groan:
Hope you get it sorted soon.

kapkol
29-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Oops! Sounds like I offended you Wainuitech. Sorry, it wasn’t intended and I apologise if I did offend. I do appreciate your input – just that I feel so frustrated going over old ground as I was earlier in the piece. I am thankful for having you guys offering advice – please forgive my (perhaps misinterpreted) comments.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 09:59 PM
If you want get teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com). I can have a look and see if there are errors in event viewer or something. If you get it, install then run it. Send the ID and password, it gives you to me in a PM (right mouse on my name in here to select the PM option)

Dont worry you'll see what I'm doing. I'll probably chat to you anyway, since it helps if I know what I'm looking for / dealing with

I'll try deleting the acct, and recreating it. See if it makes a diff,

It maybe a bit slow for me to move round, since you're on dialup

wainuitech
29-08-2011, 10:02 PM
OK :thumbs: try dumping /moving the mails on the Server if you have not already done so.

Can t reply any more to night - Speaking of servers, just had a panic call from a client, looks like their office server has stopped working and hes needing to finish some work -- 9.0pm :crying

I dont need a call out tonight -----oh well $$$$ I spose.

kapkol
30-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Ahha! Making some progress with this. Following the approach suggested that it might be a problem email, I slowly deleted the emails on my server one by one, and after each deletion I then checked to see if the mail programme would then download normally. This narrowed the problem down (after considerable time!) to one email, (which was about 1.3MB) . I had somehow previously (successfully!) downloaded this email in just one of the email programmes (LiveMail) so I sent it to myself and tried to receive it in OE. It failed – and the status box showed ‘Error:1’ just before it stopped downloading. I got my friend to re-send the suspect email again and guess what – it failed again!

Now, I really have no idea what was wrong with this email. I ran a virus check through this and no problem was found. I also don’t know why I have had this problem so many times before, nor why running a ‘Volume check’ on C drive has often remedied the situation. Can anyone tell me what the ‘Error’ in the status box means? I have seen this before but it does not necessarily mean the downloading will stop, as in the past I have often seen an ‘Error’ or two(!) but still received the emails ok.

Really hoping someone, if they have the patience to follow all this, will come up with an analysis. If nothing else, it’s been an education and I now have 3 emails programmes operating and learnt a lot more about them! Yet to find a way of replacing my hair!! Or maybe I just need a bigger hammer as suggested!

Safari
30-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Ahha! Making some progress with this. Following the approach suggested that it might be a problem email, I slowly deleted the emails on my server one by one, and after each deletion I then checked to see if the mail programme would then download normally. This narrowed the problem down (after considerable time!) to one email, (which was about 1.3MB) . I had somehow previously (successfully!) downloaded this email in just one of the email programmes (LiveMail) so I sent it to myself and tried to receive it in OE. It failed – and the status box showed ‘Error:1’ just before it stopped downloading. I got my friend to re-send the suspect email again and guess what – it failed again!

Now, I really have no idea what was wrong with this email. I ran a virus check through this and no problem was found. I also don’t know why I have had this problem so many times before, nor why running a ‘Volume check’ on C drive has often remedied the situation. Can anyone tell me what the ‘Error’ in the status box means? I have seen this before but it does not necessarily mean the downloading will stop, as in the past I have often seen an ‘Error’ or two(!) but still received the emails ok.

Really hoping someone, if they have the patience to follow all this, will come up with an analysis. If nothing else, it’s been an education and I now have 3 emails programmes operating and learnt a lot more about them! Yet to find a way of replacing my hair!! Or maybe I just need a bigger hammer as suggested!

As I said before large emails and dialup don't mix, sometimes they will download ok and at other times the mail server will time out if it takes too long.
It is not uncommon for anything near 1MB to cause a problem with dialup.
It is easy to see in Webmail which one is causing the problem, the ones you have not received are hilighted, look for the last one you have received in OE and delete the next one, that is the one blocking the downloads.

wainuitech
30-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Can anyone tell me what the ‘Error’ in the status box means? Sometimes there may be a character - List here (http://www.remote.org/jochen/mail/info/chars.html) in the mail, either the address or the subject that the mail programs dont like, this can often cause mails not to come through. An example is the address of joebloggs@ will work, but joe bloggs@ usually wont - because theres a space in the name.

Running check disk on the drive shouldn't have any real effect on the downloading of mails. The only time it may is if the software is corrupted and chkdisk fixes it.

Safari's answer really sums it all up --- larger mails and dial up can cause troubles.

kapkol
31-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess I’d like to understand why an error actually causes the download to stop (if that is the case) but I suppose that’s just academic. Sometimes I see lots of errors but no problem with downloading! The address must have been correct for it to have arrived. Also, I have only been experiencing this problem relatively recently – and nothing has changed. Anyway, as the saying goes “there are 10 types of people in this world, the ones that understand binary and the ones that don’t ”. I guess I’m in the latter category!

Many thanks to all who helped with this problem, much appreciated – I shall pursue the broadband option!