PDA

View Full Version : DVD player problem

Richard
28-08-2011, 04:04 PM
In the past my HP DVD 640c drive has worked perfectly, without fail. Today it will not read any DVD or CD I have tried. Autoplay doesn't work, nor if I try to open a disk manually through My Computer, does anything list on the screen. Device Manager tells me that the drive is working OK, and 'Troubleshoot' gives me no answer, so I am stumped on what to try next.

Any ideas out there??

wainuitech
28-08-2011, 04:23 PM
A long shot -- go into the device manager, right click the DVD drive, uninstall it, reboot and it should auto detect it and reinstall it.

Sometimes this works, other times it doesn't.

One other way to test if its the Drive or the OS thats causing problems, reboot the PC from a bootable CD, doesn't matter what it is (can be your windows CD) if it boots OK from that, then its software related as the OS has not yet loaded & the drive is reading the CD.
If it still wont boot from a bootable CD - could be the drive has up and died -- it happens sometimes :(

My PC has gone through 2 optical drives now in as many years -- Just replaced it with a Blu-Ray writer -- this had better last a bit longer.

Snorkbox
28-08-2011, 08:59 PM
If what Wainui says does not work then try this:-

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us