PDA

View Full Version : Unusual screen tearing issue

The Error Guy
28-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I posted a while back with a question referring to what I believed to be a vertical sync issue with my new Dv7 (60015tx). When I took it to the service center for some other problems I asked them to look into it. They said they had forced the vsync in the driver to quality yet the issue still persists (I checked, they had done that)

I showed the problem to a mate and demonstrated it and he suggested it was a problem with the refresh rate perhaps, with the data signal not being able to update the whole screen causing the tearing. Since it is a laptop I cant chance the screen refresh rate (only lets me do 60Hz) so ill test with an external monitor again later and post back.

I took a video of some gameplay using xfire however the problem isn't visible, so its not an issue with actual gfx card... I think, otherwise the issue would show in the vid? Maybe thats right. Ill film it properly later since the external cam I used was so bad that is just looked like the camera tripping out.

Drivers are all up to date, so is windows. Vsync enabled in driver, and all games. but it still happens, even in PS CS5 which is a right pain.

Ill get back with a video of problems and results of external monitor test and see what you guys have to say because atm I am stumped.

Cheers,

TEG

pctek
29-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Dv7 (60015tx).
ill test with an external monitor again later and post back.

I took a video of some gameplay using xfire however the problem isn't visible, so its not an issue with actual gfx card... I think, otherwise the issue would show in the vid?

No.
Video is easy for GPUs, games are not. I'd say it just can't handle the games.

The Error Guy
29-08-2011, 08:30 AM
its a 6770M with 1GB dedicated graphics, it sure as hell can handle it

dugimodo
29-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Might be unrelated but I've had issues with ATI/AMD cards and tearing or screen artifacts in the past when I've bought new cards which were fixed with a new driver a couple of months later and only affected some of my games not all.

What would be useful is to find out if the problem is common to this model laptop, or if it's just yours. Have you googled this problem to see if others are having it?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Update the BIOS, if it hasnt been updated

The Error Guy
29-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Drivers i'm pretty sure are latest. Ill try D/L the newest ones and reinstall, will check BIOS too.

The Error Guy
29-08-2011, 07:55 PM
BIOS update carried out, seemed to improve partially however it didnt make much of a difference. Will try downloading drivers again soon

The Error Guy
30-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I just uploaded a video showing the tearing issue, it probably doesn't look that good on camera (since was trying to hold cam and control game) but you can see it on the right hand side of the screen.

Also, just noticed that I get screen tearing in youtube vids as well.

Video: http://longsword.co.cc/DSC_0527.MOV