PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 6.00 problems

Digby
27-08-2011, 09:49 PM
I have been on Firefox since version 2.00 with no problems

I recently my machine Windows 7, to Firefox version 6.00

And it is now quite slow.

Clicking on the Menus Edit, View History, Bookmarks is like treacle and it often shows as (Not Responding).

Also it keeps saying I need to upgrade to the latest version, so I download 6 again from their site and install it and it still says the same !

Anyone else having similar problems ?

Lurking
27-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi, yes today has been pathetic to say the least, thought I had been dropped to dial-up.

Must be that world cup thingy starting to drag us down, lol.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Might be an addon playing up

Lurking
28-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Speedy, yes we might have to back out of ver 6, the time it takes to access websites is really slow.

Lurking.

Ps. what addon would be causing the problem ?

lurks.

wainuitech
28-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Easy way to see if its an add on(s) or something else , Try starting FF in safe mode Instructions here (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe%20Mode) -- if it starts Ok and pages open as they should then its a process of elimination to disable options till the culprit is found.

mikebartnz
28-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Speedy, yes we might have to back out of ver 6, the time it takes to access websites is really slow.

Lurking.

Ps. what addon would be causing the problem ?

lurks.
Not having any problems with Ver 6 here so as said before check add-ons.

sahilcc7
28-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Mine was slow and freezing so I switched to Chrome.

Lurking
28-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Mine was slow and freezing so I switched to Chrome.

Been on ver 6 for awhile, so why does it have to be an addon when I have not added any.

Is FF sneaky like windoz !.

No prob with PressF1 loading.

Might have to rotate to one of the others' perhaps, Chrome or IE 8.

Lurking.

Lurking
28-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Addons screen attached.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Well I would uninstall all versions of Java, except the latest. Since it looks like more than 1 version is installed. Could be a corrupt FF profile or something. If it isnt an addon

mikebartnz
28-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Been on ver 6 for awhile, so why does it have to be an addon when I have not added any.

Is FF sneaky like windoz !.

No prob with PressF1 loading.

Might have to rotate to one of the others' perhaps, Chrome or IE 8.

Lurking.
Looks like Chrome is giving you grief too.
May be one of your add-ons has been updated but you have got to ask your self why you and a few others are having problems and not everyone. As wainuitech suggested try FF in safe mode and then you will know whether to blame FF or something else. Plugins can also be worth looking at too.

Digby
28-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I only have 3 add ons
It says they are all compatible

Don't they ever test anything !

I am never going to upgrade my Firefox again!

This is just basic searching and Menu operations.

But I will install the latest Java.

GameJunkie
28-08-2011, 03:33 PM
i havent had any problems with FF6.

all my addons work so im happy

Lurking
28-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Looks like Chrome is giving you grief too.
May be one of your add-ons has been updated but you have got to ask your self why you and a few others are having problems and not everyone. As wainuitech suggested try FF in safe mode and then you will know whether to blame FF or something else. Plugins can also be worth looking at too.

mike, Chrome leaves FF for dead, needs Stylish tho.

Did Wai's suggestion, but the improvement was negativish.

It looks as though it could be Java once again, put in their latest ver. on 24 Aug. and perhaps it just woke up yesterday !.

Need Java to get into a Genealogy site.

As Speedy says once again, delete all Java versions and put in the latest, which of course is too up to date for the aforesaid Genealogy room.

Same applies with Adobe Flash player, it's needed for another Genealogy website.

Like the ABs', we just can't win with software.

Plugins have Shockwave Flash dated 16 Aug. and Windoz Media 14 Aug. !.

Lurking.

Lurking
28-08-2011, 04:06 PM
i havent had any problems with FF6.

all my addons work so im happy

2 out of 3 of us oldies is not bad odds !.

Better than the ABs'.

Lurking.

GameJunkie
28-08-2011, 04:31 PM
snap :D

mikebartnz
28-08-2011, 07:41 PM
mike, Chrome leaves FF for dead, needs Stylish tho.

Well in post #8 that thumbnail shows Chrome not able to connect to Google.

Digby
29-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Well Speedy you may be right again!

I had an old version of Java which I had disabled in FF

But I took your advice and installed the latest Java and my FF seems to be working much better.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Uninstall the older versions of Java. dont just disable them in FF. Good to hear that fixed it anyway :clap

Lurking
29-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Well in post #8 that thumbnail shows Chrome not able to connect to Google.

mike, don't know why that happened !, I was using it to go to websites.

Lurking.

Lurking
29-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Uninstall the older versions of Java. dont just disable them in FF. Good to hear that fixed it anyway :clap

Speedy, they just sit in the Extension window as disabled and cannot see any way of removing them, even under the "more" screen !.

Everything seems to be working okay.

Even found a G-G-Grand Uncle on the chatroom that needs Java to run, and a lady on that site gave me the details , she comes from across the ditch, the site is in Canada.

Regards,

Lurks.

Digby
29-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry to report that after a day of use its really no better. I still get long delays with the round circle (hour glass) and the occassional Not Responding (at the top menus, then it does)

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2011, 07:46 PM
You uninstall the older versions in add / remove programs / programs and features. Depends what version of Windows youre using. Wouldnt be surprised if FF is the prob Digby. It says not responding here too sometimes. Even with 8 GB of ram!

Digby
31-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Yes I think it is Firefox itself that is the problem.

If it was any good it would run a check and advise users that they should disable or uninstall certain Add ons especially Java.

And their website should be more forthcoming with useful fixes to these basic problems.

I am going to stick with Firefox, but I am not going to upgrade anymore. (Once I get a stable fast version.)

Lurking
31-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Digby, I would get the free copy of RevoUninstaller : http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

It gives you the option to clean out any leftovers of any "unistalls" you make.

Lurking.

Agent_24
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
No problems with Firefox 5 and 6 on Windows so far, but Ubuntu seemed to have issues, corrupted database I think, I did a full reinstall of Firefox and so far nothing has gone funky again (yet)

John H
01-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I am not sure it is helpful to say I am not having any problems with FF, but I am not. Mine just updated to v6.0.1, but I had no slowdowns with v6.0. I have attached a shot of my addons - I removed Java addons (e.g. Java Console of various versions) because they were disabled anyway as being incompatible with v6.0. Hope this helps.

Digby
03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
@John H

Thanks for that.
It seems that many people have these Firefox slow and Not responding problems. (and have been for years)
They seem to get fixed or go away, but it seems to me that none has a definitive way of fixing them.

I have tried to remove java Console but it is shown as disabled, and there is no uninstall button.
I have tried running Firefox as an Administrator, but it still shows no delete button !

linw
05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Might be worth trying Aurora. It installs separately from FF so you can test both. It works fine for me.

John H
06-09-2011, 12:45 PM
(snip)
I have tried to remove java Console but it is shown as disabled, and there is no uninstall button.
I have tried running Firefox as an Administrator, but it still shows no delete button !

I quietly went insane trying to get rid of all of the different Java addons that were disabled, including Java Console. I tried Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, Add/remove programmes etc to no avail. I then did an internet search for a solution, and found that the answer was to remove a few folders from the Mozilla Firefox directory in Programs. Now those Java addons have been successfully removed. Here is the website that gave me the solution: http://scottiestech.info/2011/03/26/how-to-remove-java-console-add-ons-from-firefox/

Agent_24
06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Aah very nice!

I think that will come in very handy....

John H
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
What I did when following the instructions:
1. Shut down FF
2. Deleted one of the indicated folders (as it is in the Recycling Bin, you have the option to restore the item!)
3. Restarted FF, checked it worked and that at least one of the Java addons had gone, not some other addon(!) and shut down FF
4. Deleted the next indicated folder, and repeat step 3 etc until they were all gone.

A bit like wearing a belt and braces at the same time, but better safe than sorry...