PDA

View Full Version : New Printer Epson versus Canon

ktee
27-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Spent all day with printout trying to compare the specs apart from the obvious Im still left with too many choices. Spend $<200

Want colour printer, scan and copy and 4 or more individual cartridges
Dont really care if it has fax & doesnt greatly matter if wireless or
not but if its the latter would also have to have cord till I got wireless ready.

So its really down to the ink cartridges and alas am having problems
comparing. I just wanted some spec that saiy
Black 10ml cartridge $20 print 180 pages on normal.
But it seems to be in grams and some dont say how many pgs.
So far people seem to prefer Canon and say cartridges more reasonable than Hp. But the Epson ink seems a lot cheaper than canon.

Maybe its on the spec but I dont understand it
Opinions desired

ktee
27-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Should add, yes do understand grams, but some specs dont say.

Paul.Cov
27-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I was reviewing just such a buy some time ago. Canon was also my preference, although I'd read some disturbing reports about how thirsty some of the newer models were.

If you can't get any figures re pages per cart, then I'd research those which have simple inexpensive alternative (ie non OEM cartridges) without the handicap of embedded chips.

They're all filthy crooks regarding the price of OEM inks, with HP being the flithiest!

They don't set the prices at a point that generates a specific percentage or profit. They set the prices towards the top of what is tolerated in each region.
HP sell exactly the same inks under a variety of codes (much like DVD's regional codes), with the best value going to Eastern countries, and the worst value going to Euro, US, Aus and NZ.... same product, vastly different prices. We probably pay 300% more for ink than we really should pay.

gradebdan
27-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Very happy with my Epson CX5900. Cost $99 a couple of years ago. Does print, copy and scan, ink=4 cartridges $17 -$18 ea. probably cheaper now with advanced specs.

ktee
27-08-2011, 09:36 PM
thanks for that I was going to buy tomorrow as special ends then, but sure there will be another one. Think I'll spend a little more time looking at stats.
Yes the epson cartridges look cheaper

pctek
28-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Want colour printer, scan and copy and 4 or more individual cartridges
Dont really care if it has fax & doesnt greatly matter if wireless or
not but if its the latter would also have to have cord till I got wireless ready.

So its really down to the ink cartridges.
Black 10ml cartridge $20 print 180 pages on normal.

I have that problem. 180 pages - bleh, you'd buy ink every 5 minutes.

I ended up with an Epson T40W. I didn't want scan, fax or any of that though. I bought it purely for the number of pages per cartridge.
https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=499&idproduct=7962

$15 for 1035 pages. And yes, this printer is accurate with that.

I found it's the same for laser - so there was no advantage there, cheap lasers do bugger all pages, expensive, well, then you need to factor in the cost of the toners too.

Canon or Epson - whatever but check that first, I couldn't find a Canon with Cheap ink plus lots of pages.

Slim
28-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Dick Smith selling Epson NX420 for special price, $99.00.

Cheap cartridges and plenty of pages.

Excellent printer.

pctek
28-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Epson NX420
Cheap cartridges and plenty of pages.

Bugger all pages.........

Compatible 138 High Capacity Black Inkjet Cartridge for the Epson:
Stylus NX420 Multifunction Printer

Online Price: $13.03 ($14.98 Incl. GST) Approx 380 pages