PDA

View Full Version : Physician Heal Thyself!!!

13-10-2001, 09:52 AM
Okay, I have a question for you guys. This is kind of embarassaing but I can't think of a solution.
My wife's PC is doing some weird things.
It's an IBM 300PL, about a PII400, running Win98 (not SE, I don't think).
It is on a network, connected to an NT server and a Nokia M1122 ADSL router.
Every now and then it's sitting there doing nothing, minding it's own business and the hard drive powers up. There aren't any apps that would do that in the tray.
Worse, I shut it down and power it off and in the morning it is at the login screen.
I don't think my cat is smart enough to power it on.
Any ideas?
Rob C

13-10-2001, 10:05 AM
Could this be wake-up-on lan?

13-10-2001, 10:43 AM
Yes, I did wonder about that. I was going to check when I restarted it but missed the chance.
I also loaded the latest NAV update this morning and it was clean.
I'll try it.
Thanks Dylan,
Robo

13-10-2001, 12:09 PM
Hows the power supply to the computer (not the internal one, but the wall socket)? If there are power surges or power cuts or anything that stops power entering the computer, it may think that it's been powered on and start itself up.
I know that if I have a power cut or something here my computer will power up when the power comes back on. I think there may be an option in my system BIOS to set whether to turn on or not after a power cut, but I've not really had much use for it :)

Mike.

PS nice to see you're not perfect LOL

13-10-2001, 01:08 PM
hi Rob,
it's unlikely to be available in an IBM BIOS, but it might be possible that the machine has an option to turn on automatically. Once enabled the default time to start is midnight. Do you have anything attached to your serial ports? All our old PC Direct computers with US Robotics modems would come back on after a random amount of time if the modem was switched off after the PC.

13-10-2001, 02:03 PM
Hi Mike,
Have tried the wake up on LAN thing. Thought I had disabled all that rubbish. There's heaps in bios on this thing.
I don't think it is power, as it does it just about every night.
Anyway, we'll see. I think you'll find nobody would describe me as perfect, especially my beloved wife.
Regards, Robo

13-10-2001, 07:23 PM
try uplugging it from the LAN & see if your cat is smart enought to plug the cable back in. :-)

14-10-2001, 08:06 AM
Steve, seriously, I was going to unplug the network cable, just in case it was something from the outside world causing it.
And after having seen the cat this morning with it's head up against the locked cat door, I am confident it is innocent.
Regards, Rob C

14-10-2001, 03:22 PM
... have you considered the possibility of a 'trojan' (??)

An AV check is not guaranteed to find one of those critters.

Perhaps a posting on one of the Boards at this link will provide an answer:

http://www.voiceofthepublic.org/forums.html

Best wishes for resolving your problem.

e_

15-10-2001, 02:42 PM
Thanks, e, but it's sorted. Was either the wake up on lan thing or the scheduled turn on. Can't see why either of these things would ever be wanted by default - then again why do Compaq have num-lock default to Off? Come to think of it, in the days of extended keyboards (ie the last ten years or so) why the heck do we need num-lock at all?
Anyway, mystery solved and no more guilt about wasting power and worrying about sinister activity from the web or trojans.
Regards, Robo.