PDA

View Full Version : Swapping motherboards

nedkelly
27-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Ok so my main desktop has a Gigabyte G31m-ES2L and I want to swap it with a Asus P5k Deluxe Wifi-AP.
The system currently running on the gigabyte board is being reinstalled from scratch, but the system currently running on the Asus board is not going to be reinstalled and I dont want to really reinstall it.
How can I do this so I dont have any issues?

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Well you try removing / uninstalling all the drivers for the GB first, (and any GB programs you installed for it). Then connect the ASUS. It may or may not work

Only thing you probably cant remove are the chipset drivers (if you installed them). But what version of windows do you want on the ASUS??

32 or 64 bit?? If 64 (and 32 bit is on it), you'll have to do a clean install

wainuitech
27-08-2011, 08:30 AM
What I would do -- Make an image / full clone of the Drive that you dont want to reinstall as a safe guard.

Then one of two things -- either change it over and see if it takes it and install the new drivers or While still in the working OS, run sysprep /generalise, this will wipe all the current drivers, user details and is meant to leave all the programs /data alone.

If it dosn't work as expected, at least you still have the backup /clone as a safe guard.

nedkelly
27-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Speedy: The gigabyte board machine is being wiped anyway. The Asus board will be running a dual boot of xp and 7.
Wainui: Haha a full image of a 500gb drive? Does sysprep need to be installed or is it already part of xp?

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Info here about Sysprep (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577)

nedkelly
27-08-2011, 09:08 AM
hmm if I run sysprep will it delete the user folder?
Because I have quite a few files in there.

wainuitech
27-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Since you have XP, sorry I thought you had W7, then running sysprep might not be such a good idea. You could still do it, but there is a lot more work involved.

re the 500GB drive, thats why I suggested cloning it, to save any data. If you end up doing a full reinstall, then you would have to save it first anyway.

Better option:

What I have had work with XP the majority of the time if the PC does BSOD after a Motherboard change -- simply boot from the XP CD, do a repair install, that works most of the time ( but not aways) and you wont lose any data or programs. Just have to do all the windows updates again and install the new drivers.
BUT it still pays to backup first just in case it turns to custard.

It also pays to uninstall IE8 first if you have it, other wise sometimes the OS will hang on the first reboot -- But thats an easy fix as well.

nedkelly
27-08-2011, 03:58 PM
ok thanks wanui, i will try it next week and let you know how it goes

pctek
27-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Give it a go. Probably only to need to boot to safe mode, remove old drivers and then reboot and let it do the new ones.

nedkelly
27-08-2011, 04:24 PM
hopefully that will be all

nedkelly
30-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Well that was nice and easy.
Swapped the boards fired up the machine that was not getting reinstalled forgot to go safe mode.
And everything still works perfect.
Well apart from audio, ethernet and an unknown device.
Oh and Windows having a fit because the hardware was changed.