PDA

View Full Version : Brother MFC-7860DW

Taurus
26-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Just got the above printer. 4 PCs at home can see the printer but they are shown as offline. Ocassionally can print but most of the time cannot. There are no conflict of IP addresses. Has set the printer to use static IP as suggetsed by Brother website. Still same problem. Has anyone have a s similar printer or have successfully setup this printer to run wirelessly? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

berryb
26-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I have found that when you connect the printer to your wireless access point the printer is set to get it's IP address using DHCP (the default setting for the printer). You have then changed the printer to a different IP address which is normally fine to do. The issue comes if you have a Telecom supplied Thompson modem. The Thompson modem has a record of the printer name and IP address of the original IP address and does not update to the new static address you entered. I have been able to ping the printer with but it shows as offline.

To resolve this either set the IP address as what is showing in the modem status page or create a new TCP/IP printer port using the static IP you entered and change the printer setting under ports to the newly created tcp/ip port.

berryb
26-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Should have added first thing is to check firewall settings and that you can ping the printer without errors.

Taurus
26-08-2011, 04:48 PM
On the printer, I have set the IP to static. I have change the setting in the Thomson modem to static as well. Both the printer and modem show the same IP and I still can't print most of the time.