PDA

View Full Version : Email List Options / monthly newsletter

berryb
26-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Have a client wanting to send a monthly newsletter to clients. They have Outlook 2003 and I have tried with mail merge and this works for testing.

The problem is all their contacts list is in an Excel file and has email address only. No names so when I try to import into Outlook it errors saying no name field.

Any suggestions on other programs that can import the current Excel list or source the email addresses directly from Excel?

I am no Office expert and if we can use the existing software that would be good but if other software available I would be open to both free and paid options.

They could add a name to the email addresses in Excel but this is a big task as over 800 addresses but they are prepared to do this if required.

Iantech
26-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Couldnt you make a name column in excel and map that to the name field in Outlook? It should import it even if the contents are empty as long as its there I would have thought. You may have to do that to a few other required fields as well.

berryb
26-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Good point. Never tried that. Will give it a go.

Iantech
26-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I should add that it works if you save your excel file as a .csv file and import it using the "comma seperated values (Windows)" selection, then it gives you mapping options.

pctek
26-08-2011, 05:34 PM
No names so when I try to import into Outlook it errors saying no name field.

I'm pretty sure you can import CSV and use custom fields as to what you want imported, what fields that is.