PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, blue screen and security issues

angchick
26-08-2011, 09:21 AM
So we have not had the internet for awhile due to financial reasons. Now we are back up and running, especially since I am back in school. So I noticed the computer has been running slow on some pages. On other pages it is fine, and others it says internet explorer is having problems closing windows. I use microsoft security essentials for my virus protector (the free one) but it came up saying it was not working. When I look at it, the firewall is on, automatic updating on, but when I get to malware protection is says check settings. For virus protection It says Microsoft security essentials reports that it is turned off and has not provided security center with a program to fix this issue. Then it says for spyware and other malware protection I am using Windows Defender and it is okay. Does anyone know what I should do? Also, I used to be able to click the little castle which would bring up security essentials so I could run scans, but now it is gone.

As for the blue screen, the area that says the error, gave this code
0x000000D1 and then in parenthesis other numbers.

I really need to get this fixed as I have college work to do and I am not great with computers. Please help, if you can. TIA

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Go here and run the online scan:
http://go.eset.com/us/online-scanner

Then grab Malwarebytes and see what it picks up:
http://malwarebytes.org/

One of them will find something. STOP 0x000000D1 is usually a driver error, or malware / virus.

angchick
26-08-2011, 09:36 AM
So I need to download these and run them?

angchick
26-08-2011, 09:39 AM
It says to click on this add on to the computer, is it safe to do that?

Morgenmuffel
26-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Malwarebytes you need to download and run, make sure you set it to do a complete scan

The eset online scanner is online. (although you may have to download something. someone else will tell you)

I would add
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
This utility gives you more useful info about the Blue screen

Billy T
26-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Based on my own personal experience, the MSE AntiVirus module will not run if there is another AV on the computer. In my case it detected the residuals of a popular on-line scan (Eset) which wasn't even running and renaming the offending folder didn't fix it, but deletion did, and MSAV started immediately after a reboot.

Apparently it doesn't like bed-sharing with the opposition.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 09:56 AM
If you get bluescreenview, in the link Morgenmuffel posted. See if it shows a file as the cause (after you install / run). Tell us what the file is

angchick
26-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Okay, let me make sure I am understanding everything right. I need to download all three of those and run them??

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Microsoft's AV program, should have disabled Windows defender, when you installed it. Get bluescreenview first install then run it. Tell us what file it shows as the cause

angchick
26-08-2011, 10:05 AM
do I download the one that says in zip file, or full install?

I am sorry about all this, like I said, I am not good with computers. I appreciate the help

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Full its down the bottom. Or if you want get teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com). I can check it out from here. Install then run it, then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. And I can log in from here (you'll see what I'm doing).

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 10:22 AM
You didnt install Mcafee on this as well, did you?? If you did, and netio.sys is crashing. Mcafee is the cause of this 0x000000d1 stop error

angchick
26-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Okay, I will do the teamviewer thing and then pm. As for the Mcafee, I did not install it. The only antivirus stuff on the computer (at least that I know of) is MSE.

You didnt install Mcafee on this as well, did you?? If you did, and netio.sys is crashing. Mcafee is the cause of this 0x000000d1 stop error

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 10:53 AM
K. I'll be waiting for the PM

angchick
26-08-2011, 11:00 AM
sent

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Avast and Symantec were (previously) installed. So, used the removal tools to remove the rest of their files.

Just have to reinstall MSSE. For some reason, it wouldnt turn on (even if defender was disabled).

Did a scan with trojan remover, nothing found. Looks like Avast and Symantec were causing previous crashes (according to bluescreenview). And the latest crash is caused by a wireless adapter ( netr73.sys, might be the USB adapter she's using for the net). I dont think she's using wireless within the house.

But, it hasnt crashed (since) I've been in the system. There were 3 malware files in startup (which someone unticked). So, I used ccleaner to remove the temp files etc. It hasnt finished yet (it took a while for it to remove everything). Disabled SR then turned it back on.

And I'm about to go back in (after a reboot), to see if MSSE will reinstall / run

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks like the hdd maybe the prob. There were a few 0x00000024 stop errors in Bluescreenview, which point to the hdd. Nothing would finish without freezing (mbam froze, ccleaner took forever), the check for errors option in defraggler, and chkdsk both went to 54% then stopped. But, it never crashed while I was in it. So, using the Symantec / Avast removal tool may have done something

Only thing is, its slow as (like a bit of a lag), everytime you run something.

Decided to do a chkdsk /r and reboot. If that doesnt work, its either a restore or a replacement hdd