PDA

View Full Version : MSMoney install - is this likely to work

CliveM
25-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I have used MSMoney for many years and would prefer to continue to use it. My problem is that I may wish to do a reinstall in the near future and as the program has been upgraded via the net and as it is now no longer supported that upgrade does not appear to be still available.
This means that my current MSMoney file will not open in a reinstalled program.
I am wondering that if I do a reinstall thereby getting everything into the registry etc and then copy all of the old program folder and overwrite the newly installed money folder with it (supposedly containing the upgraded files) if that is likely to work or if I am just wasting time trying to be too clever.
I would be most grateful for advise from someone more knowledgable than I.
TIA:help:

Morgenmuffel
25-08-2011, 08:08 PM
What version are you using?

are you sure the upgrade wasn't to the sunset version? which replaces the expired ones

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008

They are available for free

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=money%20plus%20sunset

Do not install over the original 2008 version if you are still using the online services.

apparently they dont support the online bit

pros and cons of sunset edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Money#Release_of_Money_Plus_Sunset

CliveM
25-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for that it gives me something else to try:thumbs:
Currently using MSMoney 2004 Standard

goodiesguy
25-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Didn't Microsoft throw Money and Encarta in the bin?

gary67
26-08-2011, 08:37 AM
We use MS money too and at the last reinstall I just let it go online and it found the update it needed itself

CliveM
26-08-2011, 09:12 AM
We use MS money too and at the last reinstall I just let it go online and it found the update it needed itself

Yes that is what I have always done in the past however it no longer updates for me. I have two machines and have been trying things out on my backup one.

Morganmuffle : the link you provided gives me the program ok but it does not allow me to open my file. Still reports it cannot convert it.

Guess I shall have to bite the bullet and reinput my data and stop being lazy.

I am away for the weekend so I shall have another look on Monday. Thanks to all.

Barnabas
26-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Dont really know much about this program but random idea would be to export your money file into a different format and then import it back in once you reinstall. Im guessing this might work around having to upgrade the program but could be totally wrong.

CliveM
01-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Dont really know much about this program but random idea would be to export your money file into a different format and then import it back in once you reinstall. Im guessing this might work around having to upgrade the program but could be totally wrong.

Just an update.

Thanks Banabas. This idea works after a fashion. It gets enough into the new install to save a lot of data entry but still needs a lot of correction.
MSMoney standard edition no longer updates automatically. The sunset edition works well but also cannot read a file from another version of MSMoney. I guess for security reasons you do not really want to have all your financial data easily read by anyone anyway.

Thanks also to all who made suggestions.

My idea was useless. Many Thanks for the other suggestions various members made.