PDA

View Full Version : HP C4180 - Out Of Paper

johcar
25-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I have this HP All-In-One printer/scanner (it's a POS from which I have had nothing but grief in it's 3+ year life at my home) which has developed a very annoying error and now seems unusable (this might be the excuse I need to dump it and buy a nice Canon!!).

The paper tray seems to no longer recognise that there is paper in it. I have tried turning it off (including pulling the plugs out of the back) and opening and closing the print cartridge access door.

Whenever I try to print to it from any of the PCs in the house, I just get an "Out of paper" message. The print queue just stores the print jobs and displays the error message across the top of the print queue window. A restart on a print job does nothing (because the printer thinks it's out of paper).

I tried doing a print test from the printer itself and it managed to pick up a piece of paper and print on it just fine, but perhaps the diagnostic doesn't check for paper...

All the PCs are Win7 and up until Monday just gone, it has printed just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

pcuser42
25-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Just buy that Canon :p

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cCC0cCmBs8)

johcar
26-08-2011, 08:17 PM
No joy. New printer tomorrow. NOT an HP!!!!

ktee
26-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I might be joining you I have HP C5180. Also had many msg that dont make sense.

Stops in the middle of printing saying wrong paper size, and its just printed from same stuff. Latest is black wont print.
I had similar problem at one time as yours and it related to photo tray, so if you have one and its attached to paper tray try pushing it down harder. Mine moved a bit when I lent over to clear jambed paper and didnt realise.

So canon you think, Im looking at that or Epson. Told to get one with more ink cartridges as the others (1 multi colour cartridge) work out more expensive as if you have run out of one colour you have to place lot.

bk T
27-08-2011, 12:01 AM
No joy. New printer tomorrow. NOT an HP!!!!

Brilliant decision!

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Just dont get Brother. Unless you want to pay for 4 (I think most Brother printers use 4) cartridges. The printers maybe cheap, the cartridges aren't

I prefer Canon. Since some of them (dont know if all) use 2 ink cartridges

johcar
27-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I might be joining you I have HP C5180. Also had many msg that dont make sense.

Stops in the middle of printing saying wrong paper size, and its just printed from same stuff. Latest is black wont print.
I had similar problem at one time as yours and it related to photo tray, so if you have one and its attached to paper tray try pushing it down harder. Mine moved a bit when I lent over to clear jambed paper and didnt realise.

So canon you think, Im looking at that or Epson. Told to get one with more ink cartridges as the others (1 multi colour cartridge) work out more expensive as if you have run out of one colour you have to place lot.

Used to have a Canon - and that is what I will go back to. Had the Canon for several years and it never faulted. Made the mistake of "upgrading" the printer when I bought a new PC (another HP POS, but that's another story!)

:pf1mobmini:

johcar
27-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I am now a happy camper. I have a shiny new Canon PIXMA MG5350 and can now cheerfully, and without a qualm, put a hammer through the old HP POS!!!

The MG5350 is WiFi enabled (been looking for this for a while) and the setup on every PC in the house was faultless and easy peasy.