PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best Anti Virus this year

prayami
25-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi,

As per I know, PC World rates the hierarchy of the best anti virus softwares every year. Before two-three years it was "Avast".

Please let me know, which is the best this year? Please also let me know, which is the free and the best this year?

Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2011, 03:35 PM
I use MS"s one. Dont know if its the best, but its been fine (since its been installed). It hasnt caused any probs. So, I'll stick with it.

The others I've seen crash (or they stuff up windows somehow (inc Avast, Kaspersky, AVG, Symantec / Norton, Zonealarm). I havent bothered with anything else

dpDesignz
25-08-2011, 05:09 PM
+1 for MSE

sahilcc7
25-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Best Paid: NOD32

Best Free: MSE

pctek
25-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Best Paid: NOD32

Best Free: MSE

+1

(Actually - MSSE)

prayami
25-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Thank you very much guys. I am going to install MSE. Just to make sure, is it "Microsoft Security Essentials"?

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Its here (http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/security_essentials/default.aspx)

plod
25-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Nortons, all the tests say so:badpc:
But seriously I like MSSE

26-08-2011, 10:42 AM
almost anything + malwarebytes (kidding, sorta)
Despite claiming "spyware" scanning , most AV's are hopless at it.

Honestly, the malware gets past them all, Far Far too easily. Malware scanner
could now be more important than AV , especially for cleaning.

Best AV defense is common sense.
Thats why some get infected, over & over & over again, & others havnt been hit in over 10 years+
===========================
Go on, click that popup :punk:punk

26-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Whats a good choice for slow PC's ??
Avira seems OK-apart from pop-up nags, NOD is really good on slow PC's (but isnt free) , MSSE has caused slowdowns on some slow PC's with its background AV scans
Even allowing the default quick scan on startup (time involved,slow PC = 30 sec to 1 minute) causes howls of complaints from many.

Scubadoo
26-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Honestly, the malware gets past them all, Far Far too easily.OK I believe you :illogical not.
Can you please point to 1 yes one will do! :thanks
I am very happy to test it.

26-08-2011, 11:27 AM
OK I believe you :illogical not.
Can you please point to 1 yes one will do! :thanks
I am very happy to test it.

Believe what you want, If any single AV product worked that well Id be out of a job.
I see these infections every other day, on PC's with all the major AV products

Time to get real perhaps ??

Scubadoo
26-08-2011, 11:54 AM
OK 1101

I am happy to wait.

Please let me know when you have a "real world" one to let us test.

Waiting - waiting - oh sorry you don't have one?

Result = BS!

Please inform us when we are wrong. :thumbs:

wainuitech
26-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Best AV defense is common sense.
Thats why some get infected, over & over & over again, & others havnt been hit in over 10 years+I totally agree with 1101 on this as well as the comments -- NO antivirus in the world is perfect.

OK Scubadoo you want a infection named-- put this where it fits ---

Customers PC, has MSSE completely upto date, completely missed and allowed infections through, and its obviously infected quite badly --

Doing a scan with the bootable nod32 scanner, @92% and so far has found 8 infections , two of them in different locations on the drive, Nod32 names them as Scrinject.B.Gen Virus

Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

wainuitech
26-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Adding to the above post, the PC has MSSE which didn't even bat an eye lid, Nod32 has finished scanning Via a bootable CD, Results attached below, infected several times in different locations and sizes with the same infection -- you asked for 1 you got 8.

Scubadoo
26-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Still waiting! That is for this magical virus. Waiting - waiting and still waiting? :banana

wainuitech
26-08-2011, 06:25 PM
You were given it, 8 in fact that MSSE Missed completely.

And that the best you can do :lol: your reply as you put it = BS

Obviously just an idiot who knows bugger all about real world infections.

Spose you use Nortons as well and think its good.

pctek
26-08-2011, 06:29 PM
AVs generally pick up only viruses. And they vary. NOD32
MSSE

In that order.

But in addition you need antispyware - more than one.

We know - we've spent years cleaning this stuff out of PCs, and trying various products to do so.

decibel
26-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Real life example - I had a .vbs virus today which got past the useless corporate anti-virus at work despite it having been in the wild for 14 months.
I was also surprised at the number of other AVs it got past - see the report here -
http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=9a5c5ffdceed558cdd936354b7853f97b9f 95ec2bba4c79a29ac267778757a45-1314324639

plod
26-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I totally agree with 1101 on this as well as the comments -- NO antivirus in the world is perfect.

OK Scubadoo you want a infection named-- put this where it fits ---

Customers PC, has MSSE completely upto date, completely missed and allowed infections through, and its obviously infected quite badly --

Doing a scan with the bootable nod32 scanner, @92% and so far has found 8 infections , two of them in different locations on the drive, Nod32 names them as Scrinject.B.Gen Virus

Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

Would you say it is better to slave a drive to scan it, then it is to try and scan a drive from the OS. Could this be a reason the results are different. would you get the same results scanning from a bootable MSSE disc if there was such a thing?

wainuitech
26-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Sometimes it depends on what the infections are doing.

For example, the one I was referring to today wouldn't load windows at all, this was because the infections had actually damaged some system files.

Some infections will try to disable antimalware / antivirus software if running from with in the OS.

Personally I hardly ever remove a drive these days to scan it, I will usually boot and run the PC from the Nod32 rescue CD, which does connect to the internet and download the latest defs. Then once Nod has done a scan Via the CD, and cleaned the worst, then boot normally and run again in the OS along with various other programs ( antimalware).

Slaving a drive is OK, but that still doesn't get everything.

Also got another couple of PC's here, and while they are infected with malware, the antimalware programs will actually run and remove fine.

In short / long :D -- not every clean is the same procedure each time. You have to weigh it up the best method.

Edited: an example of one clean out I'm doing -- Ran Super antispyware it located and remove 1200 (thats not a typo)-- Then spybot S&D -- a further 27 --- Malware bytes a further 10, then Nod32, 1 ( so far, its scanning still, so I'll check it tomorrow morning)

mikebartnz
27-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Still waiting! That is for this magical virus. Waiting - waiting and still waiting? :banana
Stop being a prat.:groan:

GameJunkie
27-08-2011, 12:48 PM
OK 1101

I am happy to wait.

Please let me know when you have a "real world" one to let us test.

Waiting - waiting - oh sorry you don't have one?

Result = BS!

Please inform us when we are wrong. :thumbs:

wainuitech is the go to guy when it comes to "real world" tests on this forum

you seem to be extremely arrogant about this issue

Anti Virus testing in magazines is never ever representative of what happens in everyday life of tech people, particularly on this forum.

get over yourself

ruup
27-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I use currently run four anti virus/anti malware pieces of software to try and keep my computer clear.

McAfee Labs Stinger (Free)

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

Kaspersky TDSS KIller (Free)

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

Malwarebytes Pro (Not free)

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Avast Internet Security (Not free)

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Paranoia is were I start...

No one antivirus programme will do it all,we do not live in 'Middle Earth'

mikebartnz
27-08-2011, 01:59 PM
No one antivirus programme will do it all,we do not live in 'Middle Earth'
You can't install more than one anti-virus program at a time otherwise they will conflict.

Greven
27-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The metservice virus got past pretty much everything