PDA

View Full Version : Broadband usage monitoring

wratterus
25-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I know this has been talked about plenty on here, but I'll ask again, get the most up to date info and all that. :)

Got a client who is having trouble with high broadband usage - 14gb a day and that kind of thing, when they aren't really doing anything too intensive.

I'm keen to put a router in place that is able to monitor usage, and also tell which machines on the network have been causing the traffic.

Got an Asus WL-520GU here already so hopefully we could use that.

The main issue I can see is there are port forwards for Africa currently set up, and also a VPN tunnel running.

Main questions are -

1 - What is the best firmware for this and will it run on the Asus WL-520GU
2 - It getting the port forwards and VPN working going to be a hassle

Thanks heaps!

CYaBro
25-08-2011, 01:52 PM
What's the VPN tunnel for? That could be using a lot of data depending on what's going through it.

wratterus
25-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Communicating between two offices - they don't use it for a lot though, think it's mainly sharing a few files, word docs and the like.

And if it is the VPN using the traffic at least we'll know! :p

wratterus
26-08-2011, 11:14 AM
bump?

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Gargoyle. 'nuff said ;)

Flash gargoyle_1.4.0-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx

wratterus
26-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Righto, thanks. Just flashed that now. :)

How would you normally configure it? Basically want it to monitor usage, and be able to see which machines on the network are doing what traffic, and allow port forwards etc through.

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2011, 01:36 PM
The same way you'd configure any other router to do port-forwards ;)

Seriously though, try this, this will give you a per-device bandwidth limit which you can then view later on in the week and see how much traffic each device has done:
Login to the router and go Firewall --> Quotas
Applies to All Individual Hosts without explicit quotas
Max total Up + Down = 100GB
Resets every week
Monday at 1AM

Then click "Add new quota" so it adds it, then click "Save".

Let me know how you go :)

nedkelly
26-08-2011, 02:26 PM
I had to fix something like this fof a friend, turned out he had been trying to see about 57mb worth of pictures as an attachement, the email would bounce after it reached the attachment limit and then it would do it all over again the next hour or so

wratterus
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys - I've got it up and running now in a test enviroment - the info it is able to give is great.

One other question though - is it possible to still use gargoyle to monitor things if it's not the DHCP server? Turns out the environment I want to use it in is a bit more complex that I initially thought, SBS 2008 is the dhcp server in this case.

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Yup just turn off DHCP. It still has to be in between the LAN / WAN, but yeah it'll work :)

wratterus
06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Righto - finally had a go with it at home last night, I just couldn't get the firewall to behave though. I tried DMZ from my netcomm to the WAN IP of the gargoyle router, then forwarding the ports from gargoyle onto a PC on the network, but there just wasn't any life. (Was using 3389 for RDP just to test.)

Tried forwarding individual ports from the netcomm and then DMZ from gargoyle to the IP address of the PC on the network, still no life. Tried wiping all the forwards on the netcomm and just forwarding a single port to the WAN IP address of the gargoyle router, then in gargoyle forwarded the same port onto a PC on the network, but wasn't getting any life...

Obviously this is something you've done many times Chill, any ideas what I may be missing? It's got to be something silly, I was scratching my head over it for quite a while last night...

The way I had it setup for testing was this - Netcomm, 192.168.2.1, DHCP on-> Wan (192.168.2.6) port on gargoyle (192.168.1.1) with DHCP on-> ethernet port on gargoyle -> PC.

Was getting net fine, could communicate normally on the network, but no port forwards were being allowed though.

Thanks. :)

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I have the WAN device in half-bridge mode (Or PPPoA -> PPPoE Passthru) usually so the Gargoyle router gets the public IP, avoids double-NAT.

Try Page http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/pdf_file/0008/13121/NB6-Series-User-Guide.pdf
Page #37

Codex
06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Gargoyale is better than openwrt? hmmmm. Really need to look into a tiny modem and proper stand alone router with cfw sooner or later, basic adsl routers are starting to be a drag

wratterus
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Ah thanks, that will be the answer. Now, to see if I can do that with the TC 2wire modem. :D