PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S2 WIFI 5.0 - advice on memory and apps please?

John H
25-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I just bought a new telly, and when I got home, the salesman called me to say he had forgotten to tell me he should have given me one of these as part of the deal. So I have been playing with a brand new android device, and very nice it is too....

I am not sure how much use it will get - with a 5 inch screen, it is a bit small for an e-reader - but who knows? Looking gift horses in mouths and all that...

Anyroad, I am asking for advice on:

1. What are the 'must have' android apps I should download? I have installed firefox and skype, but nothing else as yet. By the way, this website is almost unreadable on a 5 inch screen without Erayd's script!

2. I am really confused about expansion cards for this thing. It says microSD, but when I look at Ascent, there are several different categories given for microSD cards, and some cards are microSDHC (presumably this means high capacity). Does anyone know if I can use cards from any 'category', and microSDHC cards? Presumably I can use the latter, because the manual says you can use up to 32Gb.

Thanks for any advice.

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Pretty much anything MicroSD (SDHC / same diff) will work, up to 32GB

Things you may like:
3G Watchdog
Winamp (If you want wireless automatic music sync'ing with your PC)
Google Maps / Navigation
Chrome2phone
Maybe the Facebook / Google+ apps, depending on your social preferences
Other than that, I'd say it largely depends on what you wanna do?

There's everything from replacement SMS apps to fart machines out there :p

inphinity
25-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Pretty much anything MicroSD (SDHC / same diff) will work, up to 32GB:p

I think I've just misread how you've worded it Chill, but to clarify for others who may also do so, microSD and SDHC are not the same thing. MicroSD is a form-factor, SDHC is an addressing standard. That's like saying 3.5" SATA is the same as LBA ;)

But yes, the Galaxy S II will support any microSD or microSDHC card up to 32GB, and it should have 16GB of onboard flash anyway.

John H
25-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks to both of you for that clarification. I wanted to get a card that had enough to hold my music, which is more than 4Gb, but got thrown by the HC suffix.

It is difficult to buy online sometimes, because there is no-one standing in front of you to answer questions. Thank goodness for this forum. Mind you, going into some DSE branches you may think you have 'no-one standing in front of you... etc'

Sadly I have a decent miniSD card and reader for my cellphone, not a microSD. However I believe the reader can handle both, so there may be some synergy at least.

Thanks Chill for the suggestions - I will have a look at the facebook app, given that both my daughters have accounts, and they talked me into getting one so that I can see the shedloads of grandchildrens' photos they both post.

Fart machine? :eek:

Chill - is Chrome better than FF on a small tab like this? I am not impressed with FF thus far. Thinks - I still have to work out how to uninstall apps...

dugimodo
25-08-2011, 02:56 PM
you could join the angry birds craze, got my attention for a couple days til I got bored with it.

Just looking through my apps, some of the better ones IMHO (all free)
NZ Herald
Stuff
Battle.net mobile authenticator (for us game addicts to feel secure)
Pocket (stores all my passwords because no way I can remember them all)
TuneIn Radio - streams radio stations over the web, ok not that useful but I like it.
BNZ mobile
Facebook
AVG antivirus
google earth

Maps and navigator are probably already on it, and the samsung media player is pretty decent as well. I use the built in E-mail client more than I read mail on my pc now.

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I stick with the stock browser personally. I wasn't too impressed by FF on Android either.

Yeah I meant MicroSD OR MicroSDHC. However, fully addressing it like that would be like me saying "I'm just going to make a call over the GSM cellular network" rather than "I'm going to make a call". Most people just refer to them as "The SD card".

HC basically means "High Capacity", usually 4GB and over.

John H
25-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks both.

Chill, I think I will uninstall FF. Not impressed at all.

Dugimodo - thanks as well. There are several apps there that interest me, like Stuff and NZ Herald that I will get. There is a built in FM Radio, which is all I need. Good quality too.

I will also have a look to see if there is a NatBNZ equivalent to the BNZ Mobile. That could be useful when travelling. I tried to get the Facebook for Android app, but it could not be found.

At the moment, there are three symbols on the top bar of the screen, and I cannot get them to do anything. There seems to be some sort of drop down thing below them, but it won't open so I can't do anything with them. Two of the symbols are small computer icons with ticks on them. The third is a warning orange triangle. Not much use being warned if you don't know what the warning means. Do any of you know how to access the meaning behind these icons, and do something about them?

I have found out how to uninstall apps via Task Manager, so that is a new learning, and have transferred some music files via USB, so will try them out to see what the quality of sound might be...

Cato
25-08-2011, 04:23 PM
If you don't like it... I'll buy it off you for the right price! :D

dugimodo
25-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Andoid gets easy as you learn it, put your finger up the top where the icons are and swipe downwards. There should be controls to turn on and off a few things and some notifications. The ticks are likely telling you about apps you have installed or updated.

I have the Galaxy S phone not the S2 wifi but I imagine they are very similar to use.

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Those probably just mean that an application has been installed.
You can "pull" the notification bar down from the top of the screen (Make sure your phone isn't locked). From there it's kind of like the system tray in your PC (next to the clock).

Both once-off and ongoing notifications are in there. Everything from missed calls to new SMS messages.

To get the notification bar, put your thumb on top or just above it on the screen and drag it down towards the bottom of your screen. It should glide down.

EDIT: Snap! :D

John H
25-08-2011, 04:28 PM
If you don't like it... I'll buy it off you for the right price! :D

Hahaha! I notice there are a few on TradeMe - "free gift with a television purchase, unwanted, unopened" sort of thing.

I have installed Amazon Kindle, and have downloaded a couple of free books to try out. I will see if it is feasible as an e-reader.

So, no thanks to the offer at the moment Cato!

Cato
25-08-2011, 04:38 PM
If you change your mind, give me a PM because I am looking at buying one soon!

John H
25-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Dugimodo and CS - you are both right. I found that the icons disappeared when I turned the thing off, but new ones appeared when I installed Stuff and the NZ Herald (there doesn't appear to be a NatBNZ equivalent to the BNZ one).

I must have been holding my mouth the wrong way. It took quite a few attempts to get the notification bar to move down and stick - mostly it would simply slip away back again before I could see anything. It hardly 'glided down' Chill. But you are both right - the two computer (ticked) icons were for successful installations as above, and there was an icon to say email had come in.

Thanks again - I will try to hold my mouth the right way with that bar...

This thing has a stunning screen. Makes me want to chuck my cellphone against the wall...

John H
25-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Dugimodo - thanks for the references to the Stuff and Herald apps. They are way way better than trying to read those sites via a browser. Now we need one for PressF1...

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Lucky youre not in Europe where this has been banned

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Try pressf1 in the browser, I whipped up a mobile theme about 12 months ago :)

:pf1mobmini:

The Error Guy
25-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Who is running the promotion and with what TV? might actually buy one.

Winamp is a good media player, that and its wireless sync is pretty awesome.

Also, try get used to swype. Its really good once you get it going.

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Pure SIP is nicer though ;) That or use Google Talk which is on all the Android devices. Call any other Android or Google / Gmail account.

John H
25-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Who is running the promotion and with what TV? might actually buy one (snip)

Well, the bizarre thing is that I had been mulling over this purchase for weeks as I tried to make up my mind which box to buy. Once the decision was made, it took a few days to get around to going in to put the money on the counter (just checking to see if it was just an impulse buy...).

I noticed the price was about $300 less than when we had first seen this particular box and commented on that to the salesman. He said "Oh yes, this one is on special, and the special finishes this afternoon."

I thought I had done really well, especially getting in just before the special ended without even knowing there was a special on. Then there was the phone call later that day to say there was also a Galaxy Tab bundled with it, and I had got the last one in the shop...

So I am afraid that I got lucky and you have missed out on this particular offer, TEG. It was Noel Leeming, and the TV is a Samsung UA40D6600 40" Series 6 LED (one of those Smart TVs with WIFI, internet browser, and all sorts of things like Skype built in - no camera though).

However, I have just checked with the Samsung website, and there is another offer on that you may like to check out:
http://www.samsung.com/nz/promotions/pdf/10_1inch_galaxy_bonus_long_terms_2011_v1_3_2.pdf This offer includes a 10 inch Galaxy Tab, so yours would be bigger than mine...

Geek4414
25-08-2011, 09:41 PM
These are a small # of the Apps I use on my HTC Desire & Transformer & the Galaxy S WiFi ...

Appkik, WiFi Analyzer, Task Panel, StreetView, Jewels, 180, Bubble Blast, ES File explorer, 3D Magic Word, AnWobble, HDR Camera, Little Photo, Retro Camera, Retro Calculator, Air Attack HD, Cordy ,Space Buddy, Doodle text, Ticker, Angry Bird, Stupid Zombies, Fruit Ninja, Fruit Slice, pinBall Deluxe, Klondike Solitare, Whatsapp, Hungry Shark, GPS Essentials, Barcode scanner,,

Dolphin HD is a much better Browser than the stock one.

Geek4414
25-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Here are more apps ...

Skype (video call works between my Desire and Galaxy S2, but not on the Transformer and the original Galaxy S phone, haven't tried on the Galaxy S WiFi yet).

Got these but haven't really used them much yet ...
Google Earth, Google Translate, Google Goggles, Layar Reality. My friend in London has stopped using TomTom and is using Google Navigation on his Galaxy S nowadays.

Oh, forgot to mention these other games too ...
Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Seasons, 3D Mahjong, Death Worm Free, CJ: Strike Back, Jimmy Pataya, Paradise Island, Ruffled Lite, Tanked, Star Blitz, ZombieBooth (this is funny).

Cool Live wallpapers ...
Bubble, 3D Skyrocket Live, Hyperspace, Starfield, Ice Galaxy, Inferno Galaxy, Shadow Galaxy, Vortex Galaxy, Luna Stream, Solar winds, Galatic Core Fee, Flames Free, Epic 3D Tunnel, 3D Tunnel, Storm, Thunderstorm Free, Galaxy, Hong Kong Live Wallpaper, Flames Free, Fireflies Free, 3D Fireflies, Blue Skies, A Playmio 3D Sky, Aquarim Free, 3D Matrix III Revolutions, HypnoLive