PDA

View Full Version : I want to change volume of WAV files and basic sound editing

robo
25-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I like to use different noises for emails I receive to different addresses. This helps me identify crisis emails and ignore spam.

However, the volume of the sound files seems to differ, and I can't set my PC volume to a level where it works for all. Either some are inaudible or some are so loud people on the telephone can hear them.

So, ideally, I need a basic, preferably free utility that lets me adjust the volume of individual files and maybe convert from MP3 and WMA to WAV.

Something that will run on Windows 7, or maybe XP would be good.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2011, 01:14 PM
See if audacity works. I dont use it, so dont know what it can do

Burnzee
25-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Robo

You need MP3 Gain (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mp3gain.html). You will need to convert the sound files first to MP3's. Suggest Format Factory (http://download.cnet.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-11660921.html).

Put all the MP3's into one folder and select Album Gain in MP3 Gain. This will level out all the volumes in relation to each other.

BURNZEE

Whenu
25-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Audacity can amplify and also normalize, not sure about batch editing

Burnzee
25-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi Guys

Normalizing a Mp3 file is useless for what Robo wants. When a file is normanlised the volume is averaged out over the the individual MP3. Notice how you have to turn the volume up or down on your Mp3 Player.

What Mp3 Gain does is it averages all the files volumes out in relation to each other, exactly the way a human hears it. This is what Robo requires.

BURNZEE

robo
25-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I downloaded Audacity (about 11mb, so not big). Installed it, did -8.5db on one file and -10.5 on the other and all good.
Didn't need batch mode or anything. Audacity was a bit fiddly but it did the trick and now I don't have to mute my computer when an email comes in when I am on the phone.
Thanks to you all for helping.