PDA

View Full Version : win7 wont boot past pci device listing

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:12 PM
ok so my computer has been working fine as of lately....i'll get to specs in a minute. recently i've wanted to play some older games like aoe and kotor but always get problems with win7 even in compatibility mode more kotor than anything but still a problem. so i had a spare 60gb laptop hdd laying around so i figured i'd use my esata connections to hook this harddrive up and install win xp on it. i failed at that after noticing that my win xp disc has a chip in it. also while trying this i had my main hdd unhooked to make sure no problems happened with me accidentally installing on the wrong hdd. when i unhooked the 60gb and plugged back in my main 1tb drive all of a sudden my pc wont boot past the pci device listing screen. I have used a live ubuntu cd and am able to fully access my hdd. i've checked bios setting after bios setting with nothing changed even loaded fail-safe defaults just to make sure i didn't miss anything. I even changed out the sata cable to my hdd just to make sure there was nothing wrong with that. this pc was built in '09 and has not changed since...with the exception of upgrading to win7 and a reformat here and there....hardware though nothing has changed and i never go into my bios except for now....short of changing the boot order but thats it. as for specs:

gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r(pretty sure its r and not p)
intel core 2 duo 3.0 ghz
nvidia geforce gts 250
8gb of ram
1tb hdd (believe its a seagate but i'll check that if it comes up that i need it)

as i said i dont mess with the bios so it is safe to say that i have not messed up with overclocking or anything of that nature. I believe i may have malware on the hdd because i had some very funny looking "anti-virus" software popping up but i just haven't gotten around to running malwarebytes and all that....but even since i've noticed this my pc has been restarted after win7 updates and other updates....usually my pc stays on all the time. if any other info is needed let me know and all help is appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Is it hanging on a particular entry / device on the post screen?

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:28 PM
the last entry says acpi controller then it say verifying dmi pool data.....it does a line break so it has a blank line at the bottom and hangs up there

dugimodo
24-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I know you checked the BIOs, but did you check the boot order? some machines get confused when you swap hard drives around and try to boot off the wrong device afterwards. I have a GA-P67-UD4-B3 which hopefully is similar and there are 2 seperate settings, one for boot order ( Floppy, CDROM, HDD, etc) and one for hard drive priority.

I have mutliple hard drives and I find the hard drive priority can change when adding / removing drives.

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:32 PM
my boot order is hdd, cdrom, floppy and my 1tb is the only hdd plugged in at this time and it is set to master....but i will make sure that it is not still looking for my other hdd for some reason

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:35 PM
as for hdd priority is has number 1 set to ch3 master then number 2 is set to bootable add-in cards

dugimodo
24-08-2011, 02:36 PM
You haven't plugged in any USB drives or devices during all this? they seem to overide the BIOS settings and try to boot first on mine sometimes (I made a bootable win7 USB install drive and couldn't figure out why windows startup kept running on reboot.....).

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:37 PM
the only thing plugged in outside the listed devices is my ipod touch which i will unhook and attempt to start up again

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:40 PM
that didn't do anything is still hangs in the same place any other ideas? short of reformatting that is.....i'll use that as a last resort....as i do have ubuntu i at least dont have to worry bout losing any important data but u all know it takes a while to reformat a tb hdd lol

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:44 PM
i've noticed that when it does get to this screen there is a slight flicker....but only a small curved line thru the screen....its barely noticeable but after seeing this screen a lot this past hour i seen it there...could this indicate malware or could it be nothing

dugimodo
24-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Takes about 10 seconds for a quick format, which is all you need unless you suspect the drive really is faulty. what takes time is reinstalling everything.

But no I'm out of Ideas, if it worked before you unplugged it and now it doesn't that makes no real sense. Is everything back exactly as it was before you did this? All connections in and secure, you didn't mess with anything else?

Maybe try another Sata cable if you have one, about all I can think of.

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:51 PM
yeah everything is exactly how it was before i did any of this....which i have done before without any problems. i unplugged everything and hooked it all back up. and one of the first things i did was switch the sata cable out....i had 2 brand new ones that came with the mobo that i didn't use. and even when i do the quick reformat it takes a few hours.....and yea then i have to reinstall everything....looks like i have my work cut out tomorrow morning if there isn't any other answers that appear before then

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Have you tried plugging the hdd into another sata port?

tgilman92
24-08-2011, 02:59 PM
yea thats what i did when i switch the cables...it moved from ide channel 2 to ide channel 3 when i did if that matters at all

Paul.Cov
24-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Stick the boot drive onto channel 1, or channel 0 if it has one labelled zero.

I'm still siding with dugimodo, in the belief that your bios may have auto reconfigured your HDD specs or the boot order.
Make sure there's no disc in your optical drive as well, in case it's making a futile attempt to boot from there.

Lastly, and it may seem silly, but we can all do stupid stuff... you haven't forgotten the power cable to the drive? Can you hear it spin up and seek?

tgilman92
25-08-2011, 03:30 AM
ok so first i tried rearranging the sata cables....i unplugged my esata cables just to make sure there wasnt a confusion with them trying to say they still had a hdd connected. i mainly did that because my hdd was technically in sata 5 spot but was coming up as 3. my disc drive was 0 so the only thing i could think of was that my esata were taking up 1 and 2 and maybe making some confusion. well needless to say this didnt work. i also checked the power cable cuz yes i have left them unplugged before i even switched my hdd and my disc drive power cord with nothing changed. i can feel the hdd spin up during the gigabyte screen and the next screen that just flashes before it gets to pci device listing but then it stops. i believe i do have to reformat....gonna be a busy morning.