PDA

View Full Version : Router IP address

Tony
24-08-2011, 11:52 AM
How do I find the IP address of a router?
The problem: a strange router that I'm pretty sure is not set to the default IP address. How do I find the current address? Ipconfig won't work because the router is new to the system.

It is a Dynalink RTA770 router, which should have a default address of 192.168.1.1, but it won't respond to that, or any other likely address that I can think of. Is there any way I can reset it to the factory defaults?

CliveM
24-08-2011, 11:59 AM
No little hole to poke a paper clip in?

Tony
24-08-2011, 12:12 PM
No little hole to poke a paper clip in?I deliberately didn't mention that because I didn't want to presuppose anything. I have done that. I poked the hole for several seconds, both with power off and power on, and rebooted the PC and all that stuff, but it still won't respond to the default ip address.

Cato
24-08-2011, 12:22 PM
It will be the same as the deafult gateway on whatever interface the router is connected to?

Safari
24-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Try ipconfig in command prompt
Look for default gateway this is the router IP
If nothing shows in default gateway something is preventing your browser connecting to the router.

Tony
24-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Try ipconfig in command prompt
Look for default gateway this is the router IP.IPConfig only shows what is in the network adapter properties, doesn't it? That was the problem when I got my new router (different thread), that I had to change the network properties default gateway to the default router ip address before I could access it.

If nothing shows in default gateway something is preventing your browser connecting to the routerSo what might tht be? I have had another router connected successfully this morning.

This is a router that has never been connected to this PC before. What I am trying to do is get to it and reset the login and password so I can lend it to someone else.

Cato
24-08-2011, 12:48 PM
IPConfig only shows what is in the network adapter properties, doesn't it? That was the problem when I got my new router (different thread), that I had to change the network properties default gateway to the default router ip address before I could access it.

DHCP should do everything for you.

Tony
24-08-2011, 12:50 PM
DHCP should do everything for you.Explain, please?

wainuitech
24-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Check the network adapter settings, make sure they are not set to a static IP. If they are change to obtain automatically.

If the router is working and with a cable connection,then opening a CMD and typing in ipconfig will give the routers default gateway as well as the address the router is issuing to the PC.
If there is no connection you will get a IP address starting with 169.254.X.X

Tony
24-08-2011, 12:55 PM
BINGO! Thanks Cato. I changed the network adapter to DHCP, and it reset itself and the router then responded to the default IP address.

Thanks everyone. Wainui, this post crossed with yours.