PDA

View Full Version : Moving laptops

aidanmaz
24-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I got a toshiba satellite c650d-005 when i was in canada last month. The laptop wont charge and ive tried multiple chargers and even tried without battery to no avail. I hav an old hp dv6 with a busted screen, can i force it to work on an external only?. And is there a way to keep the data if i move the hdd from the toshiba to the hp without reinstalling 7?

:pf1mobmini:

CliveM
24-08-2011, 08:53 AM
You can pull the HD out and connect it to another machine to get any data of it quite easily.

aidanmaz
24-08-2011, 10:32 AM
The problem i hav is that i hav 2 other laptops that the screens dont work. Which is ifine. One has a hdmi port can i use that to get the screen on my hd tv to install windows?

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Connect it you'll soon find out

aidanmaz
24-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Nope doesnt help if the screens busted. Is there a way to force vga to work so i can change bios settings for boot order?

Burnzee
24-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi Aidanmaz

Can't help you as far as screens are concerned but are you interested in trying to get your Toshi going?

BURNZEE

pctek
24-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I got a toshiba satellite c650d-005 when i was in canada last month. The laptop wont charge and ive tried multiple chargers and even tried without battery to no avail.

You have to use a power adapter on it?
It was new?

You have too many half dead laptops........:rolleyes:

And yeah, you could pull the drive and connect it up with a 2.5" enclosure or adapter and get your data.

Burnzee
24-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Aidanmaz

Wondering if you are using the same mains cord into the different power supplies. If this is the case and that cord is stuffed then you are going to get exactly what you have - a dead lappy!!

BURNZEE

CYaBro
24-08-2011, 06:21 PM
If you have an external screen connected, by HDMI or VGA, have it turned on and on the correct input if needed then turn on the laptop.
It should detect the screen and start using it.
If not there is usually a key combination to get it to switch to the external screen, something like Fn+F5.