PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed Collectors Series Major troubles

Civic
23-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello

I recently brought Need for Speed Collectors Series (NFS Underground 1,2 and Most wanted) and it seems that none of the games will work.
NFS Underground will get up to going into a race, and it will stick on the first frame for a while and then give a BSOD but before you leave the main menu its sweet.
NFS Underground 2 is pretty much the same except it doesn't even show the car and won't BSOD but will give a black screen where alt tab and ctrl alt delete won't do anything so you need to restart the PC.
NFS Most Wanted is the worst and will crash when animating into the main menu and I think it gives a BSOD as well.
Another interesting thing is that NFS Underground and Most wanted seem to be recognized as the same game, by that I mean once you install one the other one will come up with play instead of install but will still say the wrong disc is in.
I'm using Win 7 but have tried compatibility mode and virtual box using XP
I could return the games ... but I want to play them and get them working.

Sorry for such the long post but its quite an interesting problem.

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Whats the CPU?? Looks like changing the CPU affinity to 1 (If its dual core + In task manager), MAY fix NFSMW

This isnt a laptop or something with onboard video is it? A few sites say this maybe why they dont work

Civic
23-08-2011, 10:17 PM
CPU is an i7 3.07GHz as in the signature, no its a desktop, which is why it worries me as I've had games as old as Morrowind run out of the 'box'

Trev
23-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Maybe they don't like 64bit.
:)

Civic
23-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised by that, but I did try virtual box and I'm pretty sure that was using 32bit XP and that didn't get any further ... although it didn't crash it just wouldn't actually go past the splash screens.

Trev
23-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I have NFS Shift, Shift 2 Unleashed and Carbon installed at the moment. Think I have some of the titles you mention as will. Not installed on the computer at the moment but from memory had no problems with them.
:)

Civic
23-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah I've got Shift as well, but didn't go for Shift 2, but yeah that runs sweet, its just the older games for some reason, I know that when I had problems with some older games before it was to do with the CPU as theres 8 threads I had to do something to the 4 core xml can't remember what though.

SolMiester
23-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Try with only 1 of the GPUs...ie: without crossfire!

Civic
23-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Well thats fixed at least NFS Underground 1, haven't tried the others yet but I'm pretty sure the issue with Underground and Most wanted will still be there where only one can be installed as they are both seen as the same game for some reason even though they have different splash screens for install/play.

24-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Issues with 32bit virtualisation & directx ??

headshot
24-08-2011, 02:31 PM
i bet its 64 bit too. i cant event get these to run at all on my pc just blinks off. shame those are three good games right there

Civic
24-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not worried about the virtual box now, that was just a in case I couldn't get it going on Windows 7
It was a crossfire issue as they started working now although I haven't got to try Most wanted yet as there is still that issue with it and underground.

Alex B
24-08-2011, 07:45 PM
What does the log say the cause of the BSOD was?

Civic
24-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I know its either Atikmpag.sys or Atikmdag.sys as I've been having problems with these before and hadn't found a solution just a way to minimize it and it did they were acting up again a few days before I got these games.
Pretty sure its Atikmpag though but I do have a thread on that somewhere here, didn't get resolved though but as I said it stopped most of it.
Oh and 64bit works fine for the games, it was just crossfire that gave it troubles for some reason.

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2011, 08:05 PM
What version of the ATI drivers are installed?? According to this (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst118ReleaseNotes.aspx) for the 11.8 drivers.

BSOD errors are no longer intermittently experienced after installing the driver with Crossfire enabled.

Civic
24-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Both Steam and Windows said my video drivers were updated (maybe a few weeks ago I updated it) but I went ahead and got the latest anyway so hopefully that'll stop those BSODs, I'll test soon, just have a few things to do first.

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I wouldnt believe steam or windows. Both have nothing to do with the drivers. Unless youre using windows drivers

Civic
26-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Yeah that's true, wanted to test the games before I replied again.
I still have that problem with Underground and Most Wanted Crashing but apart from that they can all work to some extent.
The problem now is with Underground 2.
Often it will either load while never finishing or it will go to a black screen and both require using task manager to stop it, luckily this doesn't give a BSOD but it happens quite often and is only between menus and loading races or races and free roam.

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Underground 2 isnt compatible with Windows 7 32 or 64 bit (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Need%20For%20Speed%20Underground%202&v=EA&uid=&l=en&pf=1&pi=6&c=PC%20Gaming&sc=Simulation%20%26%20Driving&os=32-bit)

But most wanted should be (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Need%20For%20Speed%20Most%20Wanted&v=EA&uid=&l=en&pf=0&pi=0&s=need%20for%20speed%20most%20wanted&os=64-bit)

Try this for most wanted (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-not-running-in-win7/12cf9710-c53b-4063-9d16-df9760ca40a8)

Civic
26-08-2011, 11:20 AM
It seems weird that Underground 2 isn't compatible with Win 7 yet Underground 1 which is older works fine (assuming no crossfire)
Yeah Most Wanted is fine but I can't have it installed as well as Underground 1, so its a minor annoyance really.
I've patched Underground 2 as well and it still gives the problems.

8ftmetalhaed
26-08-2011, 11:34 AM
AFAIK NFS games like nvidia more.
But then games like this I'd leave to consoles IMO.

Civic
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
So it turns out the clash with NFS Most Wanted and Underground was due to using the same exe name (speed.exe) as Nedkelly figured out for me, so know its sweet, thanks for all the help ... really hate those problems where the solution is too simple, since renaming was all that was needed.