PDA

View Full Version : Firefox driving me round the bend!!

Sherman
23-08-2011, 04:42 PM
A few weeks ago, I got a SSD for my computer. I decided to install windows afresh instead of trying to migrate.

I decided to use Firefox as my primary browser this time around (I had been using chrome).

Not long after it was installed, I started having problems with firefox, and it only seems to be getting worse.

Basically firefox seems to "lose" connectivity to the web, and I have to close and restart it. Upon restart I can start loading pages and stuff as usual -- untill I "lose" connectivity again, and thus the cycle is repeated.

When I say "lose" connectivity, I mean just that. New web pages won't load, youtube videos will stop buffering partway through etc. All other 'net programs keep on working just fine (eg: IRC, IM, email).

It seems to be a random occurance, I can't predict when it will happen. Sometimes my session might last for hours without trouble, other times I'm restarting firefox every few minutes.

I'm running the latest version of Firefox (6), on a few weeks old installation of Windows 7 x64 Pro. Windows is fully up to date, as is flash. I don't have any unusual plugins/extensions installed, just the usual flash/acrobat/itunes/quicktime/silverlight. I'm running MS Security essentials as my AV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Or have the same problem?

I'm just about at the stage where I'm going to go back to chrome :p

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Whats the SSD? Have you checked to see if it needs a firmware update?

GameJunkie
23-08-2011, 04:55 PM
network drivers??

delete then re add network

Sherman
23-08-2011, 05:04 PM
So far as I can tell, it's a firefox only issue, so I wouldn't have thought network drivers would be the problem.

Speedy: it's a Crucial M4 256GB. I'm not sure what firmware version is installed, but the firmware version on the website doesn't look to be a critical update, and I'd rather not update unless it's critical.

PPp
23-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Does another browser work OK?

GameJunkie
23-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Does another browser work OK?

+1

Sherman
24-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I've been using IE9 exclusively this morning. Haven't had any problems so far.

Will post an update later this afternoon.