PDA

View Full Version : What is good for cleaning laptop displays ?

23-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi there

Any recommended products for cleaning grubby laptop displays (not mine)
Products Ive tried just tend to smear the grubbyness around.
Anything with real cleaning grunt, would also remove the displays coatings (?)

Cheers

Paul.Cov
23-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Start with a soft tissue or cloth misted with plain old water.
Apply very light pressure and wipe.
Repeat for troublesome spots.

To lift grease safely I'd use a lens cleaning fluid (spectacle lens, not CD/DVD lens cleaner) on a microfibre cloth.

Need to beware powerful solvents in case they eat into the plastic. Meths cuts through stuff well, but I'd be nervous to allpy it to any part of a laptop, particularly the screen.
Treat alcohol and acetone as far too hazardous!

A cheaper home-based option may be a very dilute solution of dishwashing liquid.

gary67
23-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I use the lens cleaner for SWMBO's glasses on a tissue

Agent_24
23-08-2011, 01:31 PM
The cleaning kit I bought works fine as far as I can see and hasn't destroyed any of my screens (yet)

Cleaned a pretty horrible one last night and it came out great.

As far as I know they use some kind of alcohol.

wratterus
23-08-2011, 01:42 PM
ISO and an antistatic cloth is the way forward.

dugimodo
23-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Just grab an LCD cleaning kit from an appliance store, I use a philips branded one that was overpriced but it lasts for bloody ages. Clean the PC screens and the TV with it, even removes those annoying deposits flys like to leave behind.

razzarphenix
23-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Just grab an LCD cleaning kit from an appliance store, I use a philips branded one that was overpriced but it lasts for bloody ages. Clean the PC screens and the TV with it, even removes those annoying deposits flys like to leave behind.

You know at best its probably just isopropyl alcohol + perfume+ a lint free cloth?

dugimodo
23-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't use isopropyl on a screen, it's hopefully a mild glass cleaner type of solutuion. I'll check the bottle when I get home. Isopropyl is great in some situations but it is a fairly harsh solvent to use for cleaning a screen, more suited to removing stubborn heatsink paste. I do use Isopropyl on CD's but they are actually a fairly robust and difficult to damage surface.

Agent_24
23-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't use isopropyl on a screen, it's hopefully a mild glass cleaner type of solutuion.

Why not?

Mine doesn't list the composition.

PPp
23-08-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.cleanlcds.com/

forrest44
24-08-2011, 12:41 AM
I have found micro fibre cloth works very well, it gets fingerprints off very easily, and also other stuff

Digby
24-08-2011, 09:50 AM
So there is a wide range of opinions.

My question is where can you get micro fibre clothes from ? What are they ?

Scubadoo
24-08-2011, 10:08 AM
My question is where can you get micro fibre clothes from ? What are they ?ANY supermarket. Buy reputable brands. 3M have a good selection.
Google "microfiber cloth".

dugimodo
24-08-2011, 10:35 AM
OK seems I was wrong about isopropyl, happens occasionally. The site PPp linked does reccomend diluting it 50/50 though. I checked the bottle on mine, doesn't really say much other than it's a gel and contains <1% of something like sodium Laurel sulphate (I know I've got that wrong, I didn't write it down and my memory isn't that good but it's something similar)

PPp
24-08-2011, 08:28 PM
dugi, you've been reading to many toothpaste tubes!!!

Barnabas
25-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I use this http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MOALAS1010&name=LASER-LCD-Monitor-screen-cleaning-kit-includes-cle

Works really well on my macbook air and 24" Philips LCD

Bobh
25-08-2011, 12:32 PM
So there is a wide range of opinions.

My question is where can you get micro fibre clothes from ? What are they ?

I have seen these in Mitre 10 Mega cost about $3.

razzarphenix
25-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Theres nothing magical about lcd cleaning kits, they are predominately water with some form of an alcohol included.

Example:
https://www.klearscreen.com/MSDS.aspx
99% water!

Also going back to the safety of isopropyl the only bad rap I've ever heard it get is when its more sold as branded "Rubbing Alcohol" and has other additives put into it, as long as its pure iso from the chemist there shouldnt be a problem, no harm in diluting it with water as mentioned above makes it go further :)

johnd
25-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I use this product on dirty screens - expensive but it seems good:

http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XM1554/sanus-elements-lcd-plasma-screen-cleaning-gel

linw
29-08-2011, 04:19 PM
If you don't like chemicals, these are pretty nifty http://www.viva-cleaning.com.au/cleaning-products/glass-mirror-wipes/

I have been using a proprietary spray from Harvey Norman and that is good but the key is getting a big enough microfibre cloth so that you can bunch it up into a big wad. Otherwise, you end up moving the smears around. I got a pack of big cloths from Godfreys, the vacuum shop.

Whatever you do, don't use normal paper towels as they scratch.

PPp
29-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Just cleaned our LCD TV using 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water and a microfibre cloth. Quite happy with the result. Main issue is getting the solution on the cloth without soaking it. I will use a small sprayer next time, Flyspots need a few wipes as they dissolve a bit more at each pass. The microfibre cloth seems to soak up all the crud. I applied very little pressure and just worked away at it, a good light source helps a lot. I used a halogen reading lamp. It even passed my other half's inspection which is impressive!