PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - updates OK to run without ?

Digby
23-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys

I look after a friend with a laptop with Windows 7.
She is on dialup and downloading and installing Windows 7 updates always takes for ever and causes grief.

I am thinking of advising her that we turn them off.

I ran with XP for years without any updates.

Can you think of any real reason why we should not turn them off.

We run a good Anti Virus system and Malwarebytes weekly.

Thanks

Digby

pcuser42
23-08-2011, 08:48 AM
As long as you have SP1 you could probably get away without many updates.

dugimodo
23-08-2011, 08:49 AM
there are a lot of security patches among the updates, not applying them can leave you vunerable to malicious software particularly while on the net. You could just back everything up and run without them and take the chance.

Otherwise Just find some kind person with broadband and spare cap who'll let her get the updates once a month or something.

wainuitech
23-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Most of the updates are security patches, with the odd "bug" fix or improvement.

Up to you if you dont install them, but just be aware that any that are not installed will be leaving the computer open to the attacks the security patches close.

Scubadoo
23-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Could you not download any updates yourself using something like Windows Updates Downloader (http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/) then install them occasionally for her?

Lawrence
23-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Just get her to bring the Laptop around and update over Broadband or use the Windows Updates Downloader as scubadoo suggested

I do software/Definitions updates to a neighbours desktop(XP) that is on dialup from a USB stick
Windows updates has been turned off for years against my advice

autechre
23-08-2011, 09:15 AM
WSUS Offline (http://download.wsusoffline.net/) is another option for you. Download all the updates for her and then create an update you can dump on a USB stick/CD and install on her PC/laptop.

Paul.Cov
23-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Where is the pain in having the update happen overnight while she sleeps?

I've just done 57 updates on a laptop via a throttled connection. Sure, it's a whisker faster than dialup, but still only an hour or two to complete.

pctek
23-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I have never had updates on my PC - any of the versions of Windows.

Once or twice I have downloaded a specific hotfix. Mostly which didn't help.

Never been bombarded with malware either - what I have seen though, is loads of PCs with up to date patches, utterly stuffed with malware.

Personally I think it's mostly MSs quick and dirty way of patching bugs, it's crap programming practice and proper reliable tested 3rd party protection is more reliable as a protection strategy.

I didn't turn it off on customers PCs but I sure do on mine. Funnily enough I've rarely had problems, and none have been malware related.

I do recommend a known reliable AV plus at least TWO antispywares, I tend to run all sorts every now and then, HJT Rootkit detectors and so on too - just for paranoia.

And, have an image of the O/S partition in case of stuffups.

And I do recommend service packs - much better than updates.