PDA

View Full Version : Gigabye Anvil HDD enclosure hot swap

gum digger
22-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi,
Have a 250GB drive in this enclosure, i am unable to hot swap this enclosure via the provided slot. I have made appropriate connections i.e. sata cable to motherboard and molex power cable. but no luck when i slot it in while i am in windows. However it works when i slot it in before OS boots. on the other hand this works when i connect this drive to esata port on my pc case using a esata to sata cable. Any thoughts?

CYaBro
22-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Not all mainboard SATA ports are hot swap compatible.
eSATA are hence why it works when you use it on that.

dugimodo
22-08-2011, 02:43 PM
The Controller needs to be in AHCI mode for hot swapping, but be aware if you change it in BIOS without the appropriate drivers loaded it will likely prevent windows from booting.

Also some new boards with the EFI bios such as my new asus allow you to set each channel to hot swap individually (about time).

If this is the problem google something like "enable AHCI in windows without reinstalling" it's relatively simple but I think requires a registry change.

gum digger
22-08-2011, 03:11 PM
The Controller needs to be in AHCI mode for hot swapping, but be aware if you change it in BIOS without the appropriate drivers loaded it will likely prevent windows from booting.

Also some new boards with the EFI bios such as my new asus allow you to set each channel to hot swap individually (about time).

If this is the problem google something like "enable AHCI in windows without reinstalling" it's relatively simple but I think requires a registry change.

Its already in AHCI mode and OS boots fine. Maybe because i installed OS in AHCI mode.
I couldnt find the option where i could set each channel to hot swap mode btw.

gum digger
22-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Not all mainboard SATA ports are hot swap compatible.
eSATA are hence why it works when you use it on that.

esata is port is actually connected to a sata port internally. there is no esata onboard.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Did you install the Marvell SATA drivers?

dugimodo
22-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Your motherboard probably has 2 lots of SATA connectors, the ones supplied by the Chipset and extras added by the manufacturer, probably Marvell as Speedy suggests (I didn't look up your MB) they may have individual AHCI settings in the BIOS for the two sets and as speedy said you may need drivers for them.

Or cheat and swap the SATA cable onto the one you use for the eSATA port. I have a couple of these Anvil enclosures myself, and I rather like them.

gum digger
22-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Your motherboard probably has 2 lots of SATA connectors, the ones supplied by the Chipset and extras added by the manufacturer, probably Marvell as Speedy suggests (I didn't look up your MB) they may have individual AHCI settings in the BIOS for the two sets and as speedy said you may need drivers for them.

Or cheat and swap the SATA cable onto the one you use for the eSATA port. I have a couple of these Anvil enclosures myself, and I rather like them.

Plugged into the second type of slot which also the 6gb/s slots it started working. Thanks for the suggestions.

Btw dugimodo, do you notice a delay for the OS to realize when HDD is slotted In/Out

dugimodo
22-08-2011, 08:06 PM
A second or two, not much. Sometimes takes a bit after that for autorun to scan the drive and pop up but you can skip that and access it from my computer almost straight away