PDA

View Full Version : drive letters

12-10-2001, 01:30 PM
i've been busy putting to gether a new pc (bye bye o faithfull k6-2) hence i havn't been here for a while.

however i've run into a small prob with assigning drive letters. i have a 60gig (2x30raid0) which is split up into 4 drives(c,e,f,g). i have a 20gig backup drive(d) that gets removed from time to time. how can i make windows from changing the drive letters when the 20gig is removed??

running win98se. i have tried assigning another drive letter to the 20 but that results in 2 drive letters for it. each time the drive gets put in windows makes it D drive ;-(

ideas??

12-10-2001, 03:06 PM
Hi, the reason the letters change is because windows always sets the primary partions to c and d. so when you put the other drive in windows see's the primary partion on the new drive and makes it d, You cant override this as far as I know.

12-10-2001, 03:29 PM
Hi tweak'e,

We have missed you. It's been extremely busy here since they started offering prizes.

The first hard disk's primary partition will be assigned C:, but the primary partition in the second hard disk will grab D:. Then the extended partitions will be assigned letters.

There is one relatively simple way to avoid having this happen: don't create a primary partition on any hard disks in the system other than the first one. It is perfectly legal to only create an extended partition on a hard disk, and put all of the partitions in it. The only place that a primary partition is absolutely needed is on the first hard disk, because it is required to boot the operating system.