PDA

View Full Version : IDE RAID 0 - Speed vs Reliability

12-10-2001, 01:27 PM
It seems that my hard disks are always the bottleneck in my current Win2K system, so I am considering buying a hardware IDE RAID card and two identical drives to speed things up. I understand the risk inherent in such a solution and am trying to figure out the best way to provide an automatic backup solution.

My thoughts are that I would make the RAID set out of two 20GB drives and buy a single 40GB drive to backup the data onto. The question is what the best way is to do that backup. I can always use a program like the excellent Second Copy to automatically synchronise my data files, but it would be nice if I could have a solution that left me with the ability to immediately recreate a working system in case of failure in the RAID drives.

For example, if my RAID is hardware based, can I use Win2Ks mirroring to automatically mirror the Raid 'drive' to the backup drive? Then, if one of the RAID drives failed, I could remove them and run the system from the backup. Alternatively, are there backup programs that would create a nightly backup to the backup drive to provide a DOS-based restore to the RAID set?

I think you see where I'm going with this. Any comments or suggestions? BTW, I may move to WinXP once it's released, so if that offered a solution not available in Win2K, I'd be keen to hear about that too. Thanks!

12-10-2001, 01:35 PM
why not use raid5?

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491