PDA

View Full Version : 61.9GB on a Dual Layer Disc

SP8's
21-08-2011, 01:27 PM
:eek:

OK ... So I have a funny feeling that is not really possible ... 6.1GB I can understand, but I've tried several programmes to make a backup copy of the disc and all of them keep telling me it's 61GB in size.

Anyone have any clues as to how or why this is happening ???

It is a "purchased" dual layer disc which has sustained some damage and I want to copy it before it becomes unplayable.

Image has been taken directly from "My Computer" which also says 61GB

wainuitech
21-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Its reading wrong, even a Blu-ray Disc with dual layer is 50 GB, so a DVD is impossible.

What programs have you tried to copy it with ?

SP8's
21-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Tried the usual ... Shrink, DVDFab, Decrypter, etc, .... all of them are telling me the same thing. I know it's not possible and it's frustrating the hell out of me. It's not a Blu-ray either ... just a standard 8.5GB Dual Layer.

It's just plain bloody weird !

Hopper
21-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Copy protection shows up multiple copies of files, does Fab show up a heap of different files?

There will be a way around it, but finding it will be fun!

I had one program that would filter out the extras, I think it was one of those give away of the day ones.

wainuitech
21-08-2011, 02:17 PM
With DVD FAB, have you tried "Main Movie" ??

SP8's
21-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Hopper ... 174 files ... so guess the answer to your question would have to be yes !!

Wainui ... no ... I think Hopper might be on the right track and because it has so many files FAB can't distinguish which one is the main movie file.

You guys have both given me a couple ideas to work on .... not going to let this little focker beat me yet ... :stare:

wainuitech
21-08-2011, 03:20 PM
:p Nothing like a little Focker (http://www.littlefockers.net/index.php) :D to cause a head ache ;)

dugimodo
22-08-2011, 09:57 AM
try anyDVD, pretty sure there is a trial version. Just having it installed may make your regular programs work or it has it's own ripping tool if not. Sometimes shrink will work with anyDVD, sometimes you have to rip it first - depends on the disc.

and that's about as far down that discussion path as I think we can go.

SP8's
22-08-2011, 10:10 AM
dugimodo ... tried that with three different programmes, including the one you mentioned ... all three said the same thing ... 61GB ... thought I could sort out which was the most important file, however, there are "multiples".

I shall wait until I I have more time and my sanity returns to manageable levels before trying again ... :D

autechre
22-08-2011, 12:01 PM
The large size is a copy protection "feature". AnyDVD with CloneDVD/DVDShrink should let you rip the movie just fine and skip all unnecessary .vob files.

SP8's
22-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Thank you autechre ... I'll give it a go.

dugimodo
22-08-2011, 02:47 PM
lol, that's exactly what I suggested, although perhaps put a bit more clearly :P