PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Security Certificate Invalid.

Gerrit B
21-08-2011, 01:02 PM
After 6 odd years of running without changing a single setting on my email account, an error message was received on Saturday, when trying to download emails, that the Vodafone Security Certificate was out of date. Techies as Vodafone recomended to turn off the Connection Security Settings from SSL/TLS to none (means that Password Authentication is Insecure).

The emails are flowing again but I'm not comfortable with this even though Vodafone assures me that all is OK.

My works email account with quickstart runs the security fine.

Using Thunderbird email version 5.

Had to do the same with my wife's vodafone email using Outlook.

Email out port setting had to be changed from 995 to 110 to facilitate running without the security settings.

Anyone with reccomendations and techical input to reassure me?:help:

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Well cant do much if VF says its OK. Its just changed from Imap or something to pop. Which most people use

Gerrit B
21-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Well cant do much if VF says its OK. Its just changed from Imap or something to pop. Which most people use

Outgoing email is Pop3 on pop.ihug.co.nz. Port has changed from 995 to 110

CYaBro
21-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Is the data set correctly on the computer?

Renegade
21-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I think it's a Thunderbird thing, from memory check "..treat certificate as invalid"

Zippity
21-08-2011, 03:51 PM
ihug had major issues with their email on Saturday - supposedly since rectified

"Thanks for your email.

Your email reference: 110820-000xxxxx

Our Response 21/08/2011 09:45 AM

Hi xxxxx,

Thanks for your email.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused. There was an email outage which has now been resolved.

Regards,

Vineet"

Gerrit B
21-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Happened on my wifes outlook software as well so not a Thunderbird issue.

My biggest concern remains the security of the emails. Vodafone has offered a working "fix" be having me remove the SSL security and subsequent password validation requirement.

But how secure is that?

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2011, 05:14 PM
You dont need SSL for email. Most people dont use it for sending or receiving anyway> if youre paranoid about it, use a Gmail account

kjaada
21-08-2011, 06:30 PM
See my post and the replies down the page a bit:
I have had 2 brief "outages" since but all Ok at present