PDA

View Full Version : HDMI (freeview box) to VGA (projector)

Mike
21-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm wanting to watch some TV via a projector. I have a freeview HD box and a VGA cable to the projector. Is there a adaptor/converter between HDMI output and VGA so I can attach to the projector? I know I can use the AV plugs, but where the projector is currently mounted it would be easier and possibly cheaper to just use an adaptor of some sort and the long VGA cable we've already got (any new cabling will need to be 15-20m)

I'd appreciate any suggestions :)

Cheers,
Mike.

Mike
21-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Or AV (well video only) to VGA? Or even somehow from Freeview box to computer, and then through to the projector through some software? The audio will go through to a sound system, so that's not a problem.

Mike.

pcuser42
21-08-2011, 08:53 AM
If the projector has DVI or HDMI it's probably cheaper to put in new cabling - those VGA adapters (well, converter boxes really) aren't cheap.

nedkelly
21-08-2011, 09:07 AM
You could just buy a hdmi to dvi adapter and then a dvi to vga adapter

wainuitech
21-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AC1605) or Rapallo (http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/category/27/66/hdmi---dvi/hdmi---dvi---vga---ypbpr-convert/)

pcuser42
21-08-2011, 12:38 PM
You could just buy a hdmi to dvi adapter and then a dvi to vga adapter

That won't work as the digital signal from the HDMI output isn't converted to an analog signal, which VGA is. (DVI supports both digital and analog signals.)

nedkelly
21-08-2011, 01:09 PM
oh duh, of course that wont work.
And this is why I dont do IT help until after lunch.

Mike
22-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the replies

OK so HDMI to VGA is out of the question then :)

What about AV to VGA or AV to the computer to VGA? Do those exist, and would they be an option to consider?

Cheers,
Mike.

wratterus
22-08-2011, 10:48 AM
While there are some of those options available, they often aren't ideal and sometimes can be expensive-ish.

You would do much better to get the unit Wainui linked to at Rapallo, it's not hugely expensive and I'm sure in the future you'd find more uses for it.