PDA

View Full Version : Mouse and Keyboard Wont Work

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Just installed my new motherboad, ram, psu, and cpu, and my mouse and keyboard don't work :( Maybe I hooked up a header wrong? is there a header that goes to the mouse and keyboard? The audio port in the back works...

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Tried a different keyboard and keyboard works. But mouse still doesn't.

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Are the USB or PS2 plugs ???

If PS2 the Green is the mouse, purple is Keyboard.

What is the board as well ? Some need to be enabled for USB support in the BIOS.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 10:52 AM
ps2 keyboard worked had to use a usb mouse

Driftwood
20-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Is this the same system that you couldn't get to boot in your previous thread?

http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=119960

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, and now it shuts down randomly. Sometimes it takes four attempts to start up, I have to try over and over. Sometimes it shuts off when I start a game up. Sometimes it shuts off when I try and connect to internet.... Is this highly rated psu I bought just crap? Like it shuts down everytime I tell it to connect to internet. Do I need to adjust bios or install the cd that came with the motherboard?

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Do I need to adjust bios or install the cd that came with the motherboard? You need to install the drivers that came with the motherboard other wise things wont work.

Driftwood
20-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Pehaps if you were to list the specs/componants of you system as it is now.
It may be easier for someone to help you.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 12:04 PM
* RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply
* G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
* GIGABYTE GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
* Radeon HD 6850
* Intel Core 2 Quad

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I can't get in and do anything with the bios because the keyboard doesn't work upon startup. I'm trying to run the cd I got with motherboard but I think it's going to just shutdown when i try it. I don't know what to do... :(

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 12:07 PM
And when it shuts down if you try to start it right back up it wont start up. You have to wait a minute or two... :S

Driftwood
20-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Did you reinstall the operating system after replacing the processor & motherboard?
What operating system are you using?

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 12:41 PM
windows 7 ultimate still, why would I need to reinstall operating system. i don't think i can anyway even if i wanted to because it wont let me use the keyboard until i get to login screen the lights dont even come on until login screen.

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 12:52 PM
You have to wait a minute or two... That can be a sign the CPU is overheating, is the heat sink attached correctly with good thermal paste ? If its over heating the protection in the CPU will stop the PC from starting again until its cool enough - over heating will also cause sudden with no warnings, shutdowns or freezes.

why would I need to reinstall operating system From post #1 you say its a new Motherboard -- Unless its the exact same one, make and model,or the same chip-sets then most of the time there will be conflicts between the old and new drivers.

Sometimes you can change boards and its fine, other times - forget it - instant problems.

Easy way to tell if the KB / Mouse are working, boot from a bootable CD, something like linux.

What key are you tapping nto get into the BIOS - should be Delete.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Raidmax PSUs are rubbish. Last one I ever saw someone use (my friend) the primary filter capacitors went up in a huge cloud of smoke.

The replacement (which I told him not to use too) died a few months ago - I examined it and found a vaporised resistor and atrocious soldering.

Yours may not be the cause of your problems but I wouldn't recommend you keep it either.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 03:35 PM
For some reason it wont boot from the windows 7 ultimate cd. There's a ton of thermal paste on it, and it's very secure, I pulled at it and it wouldn't come out, I'm sure the prongs are in good.

But I still can't figure this mouse/keyboard out. It just doesn't work until the login screen :S

Yeah I've heard the same about raidmax too. Someone said if it doesn't end in 50 or 00 then the psu is deffective or something.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Actually putting too much thermal paste on is a common accident - one I made myself in fact on my first ever build.

If you've gone back and re-applied the whole tube then the paste becomes less of a thermal interface material and more of a thermal insulator, if you've done that then it may well be causing an overheating problem.

As for the Raidmax PSUs - some models might be better than others (In fact I don't doubt that) but they aren't very high end in my opinion.

No matter what the cause of your current issues, I would personally take that PSU back and swap it for something else. A decent PSU will cause much less headache in the long run.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I was looking back over things and this video card requires 12v@30A and apparently this psu can only push 12v@24A would this be the cause? would 6A make any difference?

Paul.Cov
20-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Man, you really walk a fine line all the time regarding your cooling.

As already said above, the thermal paste needs to be in a very thin, even layer, applied carefully to avoid bubbles, and pushed smooth and flat with a spatula of some sort. Apply the paste to the CPU only. Applying it to the heatsink as well will increase the likelihood of trapping air (which traps heat).

Figure out beforehand how to place your heat sink squarely over the CPU without dabbing it repeatedly in and out of the paste. Do your best to apply the heatsink once and once only, then make sure you secure it firmly with whatever clips it has.

Make sure the fan is securely attached to the heatsink, and is correctly plugged in.

The very first thing you should do when first applying power to a new build is to ensure the CPU fan is spinning freely and quietly.

Your next priority is to get everything setup properly in the BIOS if you don't you may find your flash multi-core processor is only ever working a single core, or is running below spec.
Don't be tempted to setup any overclocking whatsoever until well after achieving a reliable, stable installation of your OS.

Once your OS is installed you next priority, ahead of any games is to install the MOBO drivers, then followed by the graphics card drivers.

If possible, locate and learn to use the applications that report your CPU and GPU temps.

Only after doing all that you should consider it appropriate to tax your kit on a game.
Modern games are very, very demanding on hardware, particularly in regard to their cooling!

feersumendjinn
20-08-2011, 04:18 PM
According to this that card draws 100+ watts
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-crossfirex-review/4

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I was looking back over things and this video card requires 12v@30A and apparently this psu can only push 12v@24A would this be the cause? would 6A make any difference?

6 Amps is a lot of current and would certainly make a difference. However your PSU has two 12v rails with 24 Amps each, so assuming they are rated fairly accurately, that shouldn't actually be an issue.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 05:50 PM
So you're saying this PSU is sufficient and I don't need to replace it. And I should remove the thermal paste off of the Heatsink and CPU and apply just a small amount, and flatten it with a spatula/spoon other flat object. And then delete the partion off of my hardrive and install a fresh copy of win7, because the drivers for the mobo are probably inaccurate? And then most likely my random shutdown issue will be solved?

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Yup, just put a bit of paste in the middle. When you put the heatsink on it. that'll spread it anyway. Get most of the paste you've put on already off first, before you put some more paste on it

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 06:08 PM
So you're saying this PSU is sufficient and I don't need to replace it. And I should remove the thermal paste off of the Heatsink and CPU and apply just a small amount, and flatten it with a spatula/spoon other flat object. And then delete the partion off of my hardrive and install a fresh copy of win7, because the drivers for the mobo are probably inaccurate? And then most likely my random shutdown issue will be solved? Doing things correctly will be a huge help.

The instructions that paul gave are spot on :thumbs: This video on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g&feature=related) shows it should be done -- Not big blobs of paste all over everything. Having to much can cause as many problems as to little ( as agent pointed out).

If you have a old install of Windows on a new board, while it sometimes does work, it can also give many problems - refer back to what Paul wrote.

Its easier to do things correctly first time than spend hours ( days) :D fixing problems.

No guarantee even after doing things correctly you wont have problems --Welcome to the world of servicing PC's ;)

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Okay when I get home I will try these suggestions. I'm just wondering how will I install a new copy if the mouse and keyboard will not work until I reach the log-in screen.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh my gosh, I have like a soda bottle cap amount currently on mine LOLOL. I'll clean all of this off and re apply the silver and see if the mouse keyboard issue fixes itself.

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Okay when I get home I will try these suggestions. I'm just wondering how will I install a new copy if the mouse and keyboard will not work until I reach the log-in screen. When you boot from the Windows DVD, the mouse and keyboard should work, its not running from the OS but the DVD.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Okay well I put the windows CD in and restarted and it just went to my log in screen. I can't get into menu to change it to boot from CD because the keyboard and mouse doesn't work. This is puzzling.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 08:43 PM
So you're saying this PSU is sufficient and I don't need to replace it.

If its dual 12v rails with 25 Amps each are to be believed, then it should be OK (for powering your system)
However being a Raidmax, my concern would be with the quality of the unit, and how long it would last...

Oh my gosh, I have like a soda bottle cap amount currently on mine LOLOL. I'll clean all of this off and re apply the silver and see if the mouse keyboard issue fixes itself.

Yeah, a truckload of thermal paste won't help, although I don't see how it would cause problems with the mouse and keyboard unless you managed to short something out with it or cause damage in some way

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Well the keyboard and mouse do work once I get to the log in screen. I google'd this exact problem and one person said after he updated his BIOS through the website this issue was resolved. But the first thing I will do once I am home is remove the 10 pounds of thermal paste, and reapply and even out a small amount. Because the moment I start downloading or installing, or doing something that would cause the CPU temps to rise I'm quite sure it will just shut off. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas. I'd like to see what the cpu temps is doing when it shuts off but I can't exactly download a fan or something to show me... because it would well.. shut off.

It seems highly likely the cpu is overheating. Reason being, after it shuts off if I attempt to immediately turn it back on it will just shut off a second later, and you have to give it about 30-60 seconds before it will turn back on fully. When I first booted it up it stayed on for quiet some time. And I let it idle at the log in screen for 10 mins and it didn't shut down. But when I go and do something CPU dependent it shuts down. So I conclude it must be overheating...

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 09:53 PM
I guess you can't enter the BIOS and check CPU temperature there because the keyboard doesn't work...

Very odd, really. A plain PS/2 keyboard should work just fine no matter what. Have you tried a USB one?

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 10:53 PM
This may sound like a silly question, but not being able to see the setup all I can do is ask.

The PS2 connections -- are they actual PS2 plugs on the end of the leads, or are they actually USB with an adapter on them ?

The reason for asking is, while a mouse can have a USB+Adapter, often a keyboard cant, it doesn't work to well. "If" they are straight USB then remove the adapters.

"Normally" the BIOS should be set to detect the KB/Mouse, it does sound like its not when booting and takes windows to make the connection.

Norseguy
20-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally i was using ps2 mouse and keyboard, I have both usb style keyboard and mouse now. The lights dont appear on the keyboard or mouse until log in screen. Anyway i'm about to clean up some excessive thermal grease I'll post back what happens.

Norseguy
21-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Phew so far so good. I can't get my hopes up. This is the longest running since I have cleaned the excess thermal grease off

Progress pics:

Speedfan stats:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g97/cobhcwildchild/speed.png

Norseguy
21-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I have yet to install the chipset for this motherboard, I haven't tried to launch a game yet either. I dont have the courage. It's all running and stuff and I'm afraid it will kick the bucket again if I do. Any of the above.

P.S. there was like 1/2 cm of some gray on the copper connectors I noticed on the cpu I cleaned it off with a paper towel. I'm thinking this was some thermal grease..

Paul.Cov
21-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Get into the BIOS and see if you can find a setting to enable use of USB keyboard and mouse.

Upadting the MOBO drivers is painless. Just let the installer(s) do their thing.

HOWEVER, take a look at the voltages in your Speedfan pic.
It's reporting your +12v line is at 2.18v and your -12v line is at 4.01v

This might reflect your PSU being less than stellar, however, Speedfan isn't the best at reporting things correctly (like the -2 temperature).

See if you can pause the text in the initial boot screens to review anything voltage related that may be reported there, then go into the bios (which you can trust more than speedfan) and again see if you can find any voltages being reported.

Your core temps in my opinion are still a bit high, but then again, Intel do tend to take a loose line with power consumption and heat with a lot of their processors.

wainuitech
21-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Found part of the problem -- The old saying RTFM :eek:

DONT use a USB keyboard yet - make sure you have a PS2 keyboard plugged into the purple PS2 Socket.

On Page 44 of the manual under Integrated peripherals, the default setting for USB support for both the Keyboard and mouse is set to DISABLED.

This is why nothing will work till it boots into windows.

Use a PS2 Keyboard, boot and start tapping the Delete Key right away - using the arrow keys go to Integrated peripherals hit enter, scroll down to KB & mouse support hit enter key to expand, arrow key to enable, enter to enable.

If you cant get into the BIOS at all, try resetting it back to defaults Via the jumper - see attachment for location. ( page 28 in Manual)

Agent_24
21-08-2011, 11:19 AM
HOWEVER, take a look at the voltages in your Speedfan pic.
It's reporting your +12v line is at 2.18v and your -12v line is at 4.01v

This might reflect your PSU being less than stellar, however, Speedfan isn't the best at reporting things correctly (like the -2 temperature).

Definitely Speedfan reading the values incorrectly.
If those readings were accurate the machine wouldn't even POST.

I do however find the colour scheme of Windows to be a little strange...

Norseguy
21-08-2011, 11:57 AM
It has been running games and movies fine now. The cpu fan still wasn't seated correctly. I still need to resolve the keyboard issue, going to try the above suggestion.