PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new hard drive.

Driftwood
19-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Task for tomorrow is to fit a new 500GB had drive & install win7 64.
Question: As I want the drive to be partitioned, one for the os & the other for storage. Would it be best to slave the drive to another system first & set it up with Easeus Partition Master or use win7 to do it during the installation.

wainuitech
19-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Personally, ( and this is maybe only me) I would install Windows first on the drive, make sure its all working first. Then shrink the drive down and create a new Partition.

I always boot from a CD to change partitions, find they hardly ever fail, where as sometimes on the odd occasion changing within windows can have problems.

Driftwood
19-08-2011, 09:42 PM
So you would use the win7 software?

wainuitech
19-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I actually use either paragon partition Manager heres the ISO to make the CD (http://www.box.net/shared/7gffcv11n6) or Acronis Disk Director.

edited; cant remember if that one works on a 64bit -- have to test it out.

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 01:05 AM
If you're doing a clean install on a blank drive then setting up the partitions during Windows install would probably be the easiest way.

mikebartnz
20-08-2011, 02:16 AM
If you're doing a clean install on a blank drive then setting up the partitions during Windows install would probably be the easiest way.
+1
I don't see the point in doing the install then repartitioning.

Snorkbox
20-08-2011, 02:23 AM
Win7 puts a 100 meg partition on and then followed by C:.

I did it just a few days ago. I then shrunk the C: drive and put D: in the unallocated space.

pctek
20-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd just partition it during the install.

Driftwood
20-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Thank you for your advice.
New drive is in & win7 installed. Will do partition later.
The performance index has gone from 5.7 to 5.9 just by changing the drive.
Still on the win7 drivers too.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Win7 puts a 100mb partition on it if its Ultimate. I use Pro. Its not on this. If you dont want it anyway, make the partitions bigger. Then setup cant create it. Some systems wont boot if it creates the 100mb partition. I think Win7 thinks its bootable (after you install Win7). And tries to boot from it, it goes round in circles. And you'll never get into windows

Last time, I tried Ultimate, I killed the 100mb partition by making the partitions bigger

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Windows 7 puts the hidden partition on regardless of the version when doing a fresh install - its a hidden partition that contains the repair and boot options if something goes wrong.

To quote MS
The 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot.

While it can be removed, it can also cause problems if you do so.

If you alter partition sizes, you leave the 100MB alone, only alter the main partition.

The 100MB partition contains:

Map: Boot
Map: Recycle;bin
Map:System Volume Information

bootmgr
Bootsect.bak

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Oh well, havent had probs yet. I had more probs with it than without it!

wainuitech
20-08-2011, 01:41 PM
My own Office PC doesn't have the 100MB partition, but thats because it used to dual boot with Vista. If you dual boot the partition doesn't get made. When Vista was removed it left W7.

There has been a couple of times when windows had problems I have had to put in the recovery CD to allow the boot files to repair.

From a fresh install, out of the countless W7's I have installed each and every one puts in the hidden partition.

Also some cloning software wont clone W7 correctly, they cant see that hidden partition, and thats why sometimes when starting from a clone, W7 wont boot till the repair CD is installed to fix the boot files.

dugimodo
20-08-2011, 07:44 PM
It's not just Ultimate, I have only ever used windows 7 home premium OEM and it creates the partition during a fresh install. Even more annoying if you leave other hard drives connected during install it might decide to use one of those instead of the 100M partition and remove the drive letter from it. It's easy to fix the drive letter from windows disk management but I'm not sure what else it does on the drive as it makes it active and marks it as a system drive (but not boot).

I discovered this after doing a fresh install on my SSD, it has only one partition after install but another drive was changed as I mentioned above.

Best to connect only 1 hard drive during Installation of windows I'd say, annoying.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I remember ultimate saying something about it, but not Pro. I know internal card readers can stuff things up too. The last time I had one, I had to unplug it from the internal USB header. Or it'd screw up the letters once windows had been installed

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 09:52 PM
I have the 100MB partition on mine, and I triple-boot on that machine with 7, XP and Ubuntu. No problems here, yet...