PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive tests

pcuser42
19-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Long story short: a friend dropped her laptop and now the hard drive is playing up - Vista gets to the loading screen and gets stuck (with the drive making funny sounds) and XP on the same PC boots, but hanged when I tried to run this (http://hddscan.com/) on the PC. Seatools for DOS reported errors but wouldn't give any details.

So the question is, now what?

(P.S.: her family is strapped for cash at the moment so preferably anything that avoids replacing the hard drive would be appreciated)

wainuitech
19-08-2011, 08:17 PM
First thing I would suggest, take the HDD out and slave it to another PC if you can try to recover the data (if its wanted) if you dont have another PC, then either a Linux live CD and boot from that, copy off the data to another external drive.

Once any important data is recovered, then take a look at seeing if the drive is fixable, other wise any "fiddling about" runs the risk of losing the lot.

pcuser42
19-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I've already copied the contents of her folder under Users onto my external hard drive (when slaved on my PC), probably should have mentioned that :p

ronyville
19-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I've already copied the contents of her folder under Users onto my external hard drive (when slaved on my PC), probably should have mentioned that :p

Well then time to buy a new drive and reinstall from scratch :p

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 12:02 AM
dropped her laptop and now the hard drive is playing up - Vista gets to the loading screen and gets stuck (with the drive making funny sounds)

(P.S.: her family is strapped for cash at the moment so preferably anything that avoids replacing the hard drive would be appreciated)

Sounds to me like mechanical damage of some kind. The funny nose is probably the drive trying to read some sectors which are now damaged (perhaps from a head crash)

If you check SMART status with something like HDAT2 you should be able to see some obvious problems.

Price might be a factor here but there is nothing to do with a drive faulty in this way than replace it. You could do a 'repair' scan with HDAT2 or similar, which would hopefully reallocate all damaged sectors and let you use the drive more successfully but it wouldn't be in a good condition and continued use (especially without a backup) is definitely not a good idea.

No, the best idea would be to get a new drive.

pcuser42
20-08-2011, 07:59 AM
If you check SMART status with something like HDAT2 you should be able to see some obvious problems.

SMART reported nothing unusual... :horrified

No, the best idea would be to get a new drive.

I know, which is why I'm considering shouting her a new drive :p

pcuser42
20-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Ran HDAT2 on the laptop, that does indeed give a SMART error. Damn Seagate Tools :p

Agent_24
20-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Seagate's tools are fairly useless. They only report SMART errors if an attribute has been tripped, and SMART only trips when things get really bad.

Remember of course that Seatools tie in with generating error codes for use in RMA so of course Seagate don't want to let you know your HDD might have a problem...

You can get a much better idea of HDD health by looking at the SMART data yourself.

pcuser42
20-08-2011, 07:36 PM
In the end they managed to find enough money to pay for a new drive, so I'm making a trip into PB Tech to buy a new one and reinstall Windows. (Something to do for a change :p)

Thanks everyone :)